Any way to create a gallery from a selection?

HollieHollie Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited April 22, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I'm running into the following problem:

I have BIG "baskets" of photos. These are files with large numbers of photos that are all unorganized, a big mess. It's as if someone tossed a couple thousand photos into a basket and handed it to you and said, "Here, group these into some useful piles."

When I was transferring the bulk of my photo collection (many thousands of photos - I'm not a pro but I take a huge number of photos per year) into SmugMug, I would create a gallery for these large swathes of photos and just label them, "Basket 1, Basket 2", etc. My intention was to eventually get back to them and organize them into more specific, named and tagged galleries.

Well, now I'm trying to organize them, and it's frustrating. In Flickr, organizing like this is super easy. I can batch-select twenty photos out of the page of a thousand, and I can create an album from my selected batch right then and there. It's very fast and efficient.

In SmugMug, it seems I can't do this, is that right? The process for me right now looks like this:

1. Open gallery with 1000 pictures.
2. Sift through them, looking for groups. Notice that pictures 800-824 are from that one party that one time.
3. Back out, go to where I want That One Party gallery to live.
4. Create That One Party gallery in whatever folder I choose.
5. Go all the way back to the original gallery. Wait for all 1000 of them to load (this can take minutes).
6. Scroll down until I find that one grouping of photos.
7. Move the photos into the new gallery.
8. Repeat with next grouping of photos I find.

This process is SO tedious. It would be immensely faster if I could just do this:

1. Open gallery with 1000 pictures.
2. Sift through them, notice that pictures 800-824 are from that one party that one time.
3. Batch select those, and then "Create new gallery".
4. Move on to next group....repeat.

Is this possible? It's hard to imagine the awesome SmugMug crew would require things to be this inefficient. Am I just missing the right mouse click routine?

Thanks!

Comments

• JohnHeroJohnHero Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2014
    Hi Hollie,

You can batch move photos using the site organizer in New SmugMug. To do this, login to your site, click organize. If you need to create galleries to move, click on create > gallery. The gallery will create in whatever folder you have selected.

Go to the original gallery housing your images, click each image you would like to move and drag and drop the images into the new gallery. I have included a video tutorial on the organizer below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or_PFlfAchQ&feature=share&list=PLPoJs6FwS4HUSvtVb7ceh4Sse6RhNmyGQ&index=5

If you need anything else, please let us know by emailing us directly. To do this, go to help.smugmug.com and click the "Email Us" link.

John
    SmugMug Support Hero
    John
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • HollieHollie Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2014
    JohnHero wrote: »
    Hi Hollie,
    You can batch move photos using the site organizer in New SmugMug. To do this, login to your site, click organize. If you need to create galleries to move, click on create > gallery. The gallery will create in whatever folder you have selected.

I realize that I can batch move photos, and create a gallery using +create. That wasn't my question. I was asking whether I can create a new gallery using a selection of photos, instead of having to leave the gallery I'm in and make a new gallery and then come back. It doesn't seem that you actually read my question, but it sounds like the answer is no, anyway.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2014
    Hollie wrote: »
    I was asking whether I can create a new gallery using a selection of photos, instead of having to leave the gallery I'm in and make a new gallery and then come back.
    That's not an option. I'm sorry. You can only move photos to existing galleries.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2014
    This is a good time to use multiple tabs on your browser. Use one for source - the basket - and another for the destination. That way, leaving and returning to the basket is a single click.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    edited April 22, 2014
    DBR wrote: »
    This is a good time to use multiple tabs on your browser. Use one for source - the basket - and another for the destination. That way, leaving and returning to the basket is a single click.

Hey! Great idea! I will try that! Thanks a ton, that will definitely make things faster.
    edited April 22, 2014
    DBR wrote: »

Unfortunately this doesn't work at all. I pick up photos from my organizing window and it doesn't let me move them beyond the browser window I'm in. Does this actually work for you? What browser and OS are you using?