Options

Sharing a gallery to Facebook

ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
edited May 27, 2014 in SmugMug Support
In the legacy SM (which was a heck of a lot easier to use!!!) we were able to share a gallery to Facebook. Smugmug would pick an image from the gallery (allow us to select a different one if we didn't like its choice) and would post a 'blurb' which we wrote to our Facebook page along with a thumbnail of the selected image. If someone clicked on the image on Facebook, it would open the gallery in a new window.

I can't find that same ability in the new SM. All I can do is post a bunch of images into a photo album on Facebook. I don't want a photo album duplicating what I already have here on SM. If I did, I'd just post pictures to Facebook and save the money I pay SM each year.

Have I missed something?

If I sound a bit peeved and snarky, it's because I am. I find the new SM very user UN-friendly.

But the users in here have always been very helpful and I'm hoping someone can help me get over my frustrations, at least in this matter.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2014
    Gene,
    You can find the share button below each photo. Click on it to find the Facebook option in it. You may have to click on a photo tile to open it in lightbox first before you can see the share button below it.
    The share button at the top of the organize screen is for the publish to Facebook feature only.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2014
    Gene,
    You can find the share button below each photo. Click on it to find the Facebook option in it. You may have to click on a photo tile to open it in lightbox first before you can see the share button below it.
    The share button at the top of the organize screen is for the publish to Facebook feature only.

Thanks for the reply. Can you please confirm that this would link back to the entire gallery, not to just the image selected? Really appreciate the help.

EDIT: Just tried it out. It does not share the gallery, instead it shares the selected photo in the lightbox.

In the Legacy SM we could share just a link to the complete gallery, not just to an individual image. I guess we lost that ability with the new & improved SM?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,010 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2014
    I find it easier to just copy the browser link of the gallery photo and paste into FB. Then after it generates delete link and type in message.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2014
    If you share a photo from a gallery using the share button, it always links back to the photo in the gallery. It really comes down to what gallery style you're using on your site / gallery.

If SmugMug style is set, it'll show thumbnails on the left and the larger photo on the right. However, if you use collage landscape style, which uses lightbox to display photos, the link would open up the lightbox with that photo in the gallery. In both cases, the visitor would be able to see the other photos in the gallery. In the case of lightbox, he'd just need to use the lightbox navigation or close lightbox with the X in the upper right.

In case you're unsure on what gallery style you've set, I'd just recommend that you give it a try and post a photo on Facebook and then follow the link back yourself to see how it looks.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2014
    Looks like sharing directly from Smug using their share to FB you can not edit anything. Paste in the browser link,
    then after it generates you can edit everything even the description.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2014
    There seem to be 100 variations on what happens if you post a link to FB, and what method you use: gallery, image, which gallery style, using the URL at the top versus the Share option.

I have not figured out what to do to get it right.

I posted the URL from the browser URL field, to FB. I had set an image as the gallery thumbnail, and that image did post to FB with the gallery title. But unfortunately the "Hosting by Smugmug, your photos look better here" also posted under the gallery title. I'm so embarrassed I can hardly stand it.

What does one need to do to make sure that phrase is not posted?
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2014
    I paste in the browser link when on a photo in a gallery. After it generates the gallery I can edit
    that description, double click on it. I delete my pasted in link and add my text there. Usually I can
    change thumbs but not always.

BTW, I found if you use the Smugmug share you can edit nothing.