Options

Swallowtails in Corsica

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited January 19, 2015 in Holy Macro
This species is the last of those I photographed at the remote, arid roadside area, where lots of butterflies were feeding on yellow thistle flowers. The thistle was probably the Clustered Carline Thistle Carlina corymbosa but I am no botanist!

I have to say that it was refreshing to revert to my prefered lighting regime, daylight, after almost exclusively using flash for higher magnifications for many months in England.

The Swallowtail Papilio machaon is a rarity in Britain, the race P. m. britannicus requiring a moist habitat for the functioning of the male genital claspers, such that it is confined to fenlands.

A separate species, the Corsican Swallowtail Papilio hospiton has shorter "tails" and differences in wing patterns.

The images here are of the continental European race of P. machaon. The yellow (rather than black) abdomen indicates that they are later than first brood, hardly surprising in September. They did not give opportunies to shoot with their wings opened flat.

These images are not quite of the standard of the others from the same locality, probably due to my unaccustomed use of AF.

EM-1, Olympus ED Digital 4/3 70-300mm AF. AF used, hand-held, harsh sunlight.

Harold

1077561.jpg

1077563.jpg

1077565.jpg

Comments