Proposition for those of us in the Seattle Area...

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited April 1, 2005 in The Big Picture
I have a problem, I love photography. That isn't the problem so much as the fact that I don't have endless money to throw around on lenses, lighting, studio setups, photography experience, and so on. I'm finding myself in a situation where I would really, really love to set up a studio so I could learn about basic, intermediate, and fancy lighting and composition techniques, but I just don't have the moolah to make that happen. I would also love to be able to go to a studio and shoot a few shots with other photographers so I can get a little experience. Right now, there's no way I'd do studio work even if I could afford it because I just wouldn't know where to start. Similarly, I wouldn't shoot a wedding by myself because I'd be to scared that I'd mess it up.

But I do have a few things going for me. First, the Seattle area is chock full of photographers which means that there is very likely someone in the seattle area that is a dgrin member. Second, there is a wonderful photographer paradise in Seattle that rents just about anything (bodies, lenses, lighting, meters, etc) for cheap (e.g. Canon 400mm f/2.8 for $35 a day - and one day means pick it up on Friday and return it on Monday morning). Third, I am done with my masters degree on the 6th so I will soon have a whole lot more time on my hands.

So my proposal is this: Seattle Tacoma area dgrinners, let's find a space we can use for a weekend, figure out what we need to get to have a full up fancy studio set up, let's pool our money to rent that equipment, let's find a willing subject and lets go crazy. We can share ideas, give each other tips, learn what it takes to have a successful studio, and best of all get some great shots for our smugmug sites.

My email is mikelane@gmail.com or mike@mikelanephotography.com. I'll gladly give out my cell and/or home phone to interested participants. This could be a great opportunity for everyone involved.

Mike
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    I'm not in Seattle but I know how you feel. I did something like that with my camera club about ten years ago. Rent gear, a part, long lenses, whatever you need. Thoe whole s greater than the sum of the parts. Just make sure you all agree on what you want to shoot, it helps. Good luck and let us know how it goes!