Options

slideshow not available on Windows 8 Mobile, Adobe Flash player not available

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
edited April 10, 2013 in Bug Reporting
Gallery slideshows (via the slideshow button in galleries) cannot be run on my Windows phone (running Windows 8 mobile). The slideshow button is black - I understand that is a known problem on IE10. But - if I click the black slideshow button I am told I need to update Adobe Flash. If I click to update I am presented with the message:
Sorry Adobe Flash Player is not available from Adobe.com for your device's operating system or browser.
Given that flash is unavailable it seems that the slideshow button should run an HTML5 version of the slideshow on Windows 8 mobile devices.

If the slideshow presentation is not changed then smug should detect the operating environment and automatically remove the slideshow button from the gallery when shown in IE10 mobile.

--- Denise

Comments

• Options
    tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 28, 2013
    Gallery slideshows (via the slideshow button in galleries) cannot be run on my Windows phone (running Windows 8 mobile). The slideshow button is black - I understand that is a known problem on IE10. But - if I click the black slideshow button I am told I need to update Adobe Flash. If I click to update I am presented with the message:
    Given that flash is unavailable it seems that the slideshow button should run an HTML5 version of the slideshow on Windows 8 mobile devices.

If the slideshow presentation is not changed then smug should detect the operating environment and automatically remove the slideshow button from the gallery when shown in IE10 mobile.

--- Denise

Dennise,

Thank you for the post.

I am really sorry about this. We are aware of this issue with IE10 - the engineers are working hard to solve this issue as soon as possible.

BTW. There is already a thread about this issue:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=231228

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Take care,

Tom
    SmugMug Support Hero
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2013
    Thanks Tom.

The thread you referenced is about the black button. That's relatively minor compared with the missing functionality I am reporting here. The slideshow is simply not available on Windows Phone 8. I don't believe getting an Adobe error message when a viewer is attempting to view a slideshow is acceptable behavior.

When you say the engineers are working on the issue, does that include the inability to run the slideshow?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2013
    Just as a sanity check I tried the slideshow on IE10 on Windows 8 when I got home tonight. The slideshow button is also black on my laptop in IE10 but the slideshow does play. It plays within the browser window instead of being full screen but if I remember correctly that odd behavior has been the behavior on IE for a long time.

The slideshow does not work at all on Windows 8 mobile because of the lack of flash support for the device.

--- Denise
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2013
    Hi Denise!

I will check into the behavior on Windows 8 mobile this week and let you know what I find out from the developers.

Michael
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I will check into the behavior on Windows 8 mobile this week and let you know what I find out from the developers.
    Thanks Michael!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2013
    Hi Denise!

Michael
    Hi Michael -
    Is there any update on this behavior? How about automatically enabling an HTML5 slideshow on this platform?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    Hi Denise!

Let me check on the status of the Windows 8 issues. I will get back to you this weekend.

Michael
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    Let me check on the status of the Windows 8 issues. I will get back to you this weekend.
    Thanks Michael - that's greatly appreciated.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2013
    Any updated status on this issue?

There are two problems - slideshow doesn't play on Windows 8 Mobile (the more critical of the two), and slideshow button is black on all versions of IE10 (looks bad, and doesn't help a viewer who doesn't realize the pure black button is for a slideshow).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2013
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2013
    Hi Denise,

I apologize for missing your bump. This is in the system to be prioritized, but I do not have a estimated completion time. When you say the slideshow doesn't play on the Windows 8 mobile, do you mean in the gallery itself, where the black button is displayed? If so, it would be the same fix for both, since Windows refuses to play flash.

Michael
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2013
    Hi Denise,

I apologize for missing your bump. This is in the system to be prioritized, but I do not have a estimated completion time. When you say the slideshow doesn't play on the Windows 8 mobile, do you mean in the gallery itself, where the black button is displayed? If so, it would be the same fix for both, since Windows refuses to play flash.

Michael
    I mean where the black button is clicked. Windows 8 mobile does not support flash - the slideshow in that environment needs to be changed to something else.

On my laptop running Windows 8 - on IE10, the button is black but the slideshow runs.
    On my phone running Windows 8 Mobile - on IE10, the button is black and pressing it results in the message that Adobe Flash is not installed. Flash is not supported on Windows 8 Mobile. The slideshow needs to be switched to a format that does run - I'm assuming HTML5.

Given that we have no control what device or browser our viewers are using I'd like to see this fixed in the short term as opposed to sometime out in the unknown future. As much as you dislike IE10 (and it's not my favorite either) it is still a major browser, and it is the browser that runs on Windows 8 Mobile. Can this be bumped up in priority?

--- Denise
  • Options
    KatrinkaKatrinka Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2013
    Black Button update?
    What is the priority for the black button fix for IE10?
    Katherine (Katrinka) Kehrli
    www.katherinekehrli.com
    Novice Smugger but getting better thanks to you!
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2013
    Denise ad Kat,

This new windows update should fix the problem. I am at WPPI without a Windows laptop, so I am unable to verify. Can you let me k ow of the slideshow button is displayed after you update?

Michael Bonocore
    www.mb-photography-sf.com
    www.facebook.com/mbonocore
    plus.mb-photography-sf.com
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2013
    This new windows update should fix the problem. I am at WPPI without a Windows laptop, so I am unable to verify. Can you let me k ow of the slideshow button is displayed after you update?
    I just checked. Windows 8 and IE 10 on my laptop are up-to-date. The slideshow button is still black.

My phone is also up-to-date. No flash support.

As far as I know Windows 8 Mobile still does not support flash. I didn't see anything in the recent announcements to say that it would.

Don't you use non-flash slideshows on Apple devices that don't support flash? Can't that same method be used for Windows 8 Mobile?

And why not move away from flash entirely?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2013
    Denise ad Kat,

Michael Bonocore

Don't mean to be a neophyte but what is the update I need to do. I'm viewing on IE10.

K.
    www.katherinekehrli.com
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2013
    Katrinka wrote: »
    Don't mean to be a neophyte but what is the update I need to do. I'm viewing on IE10.

K.

bump

Still have a black button when using IE10. Any update?
    www.katherinekehrli.com
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2013
    Michael -
    Are there any plans to change the slideshow on Windows 8 Mobile to an HTML5 slideshow?

I know you don't comment on future plans but as far as I am concerned this is a defect. If the slideshow button is on a page it should operate properly.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2013
    Hi Denise and Katherine,

I was at WPPI last week, so I have not had a chance to test this on a Windows 8 laptop. I will look into it this week, but there could be a setting in the IE10 preferences to automatically load flash, which it appears your IE 10 still is not doing.

I will update you this week when I can get my hands on an Windows 8 Laptop.

Michael
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2013
    ...but there could be a setting in the IE10 preferences to automatically load flash, which it appears your IE 10 still is not doing.
    I just looked through all of the Advanced properties for IE10 and I don't see anything relating to flash.

This still doesn't answer my question about the slideshow on IE10. I don't think we can assume that Windows 8 Mobile will mimic Windows 8 and I still believe an HTML5 slideshow is more appropriate for that environment. Can you comment on this?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2013
    I just looked through all of the Advanced properties for IE10 and I don't see anything relating to flash.

This still doesn't answer my question about the slideshow on IE10. I don't think we can assume that Windows 8 Mobile will mimic Windows 8 and I still believe an HTML5 slideshow is more appropriate for that environment. Can you comment on this?

--- Denise

Hi Denise,

We are in the process of evaluating how to handle all slideshows throughout SmugMug, that would make slideshows easily visible and uniform on all devices whether it be mobile or desktop. Obviously, Flash adds complication to mobile sites (and IE10)

Michael
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2013
    We are in the process of evaluating how to handle all slideshows throughout SmugMug, that would make slideshows easily visible and uniform on all devices whether it be mobile or desktop. Obviously, Flash adds complication to mobile sites (and IE10)
    Thanks Michael. I'm looking forward to your decision and hoping you decide against continuing to use Flash.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2013
    ...Obviously, Flash adds complication to mobile sites (and IE10)
    Michael -
    I know better than to ask you about your plans for Flash (or not Flash). But - can you give me a status on getting this problem fixed for those platforms that don't support flash? I know you are presenting slideshows on Apple devices that don't support flash; why can't that same solution be used on other mobile platforms without flash?

If you don't want to provide a working slideshow on those platforms then I think the button should be removed - but only if the viewer is using a platform that doesn't support flash.

Obviously I would prefer to see a working slideshow on Windows 8 Mobile.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2013
    Hi Denise,

This issue is actively being investigated by one of our developers. I apologize for the delay.

Baldy posted a informative thread today about how our resources are being used at the moment.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=233530

I will continue to update you as soon as he delivers me any information.

Michael
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2013
    This issue is actively being investigated by one of our developers. I apologize for the delay.

I will continue to update you as soon as he delivers me any information.
    Thanks Michael. I'd appreciate updates as available.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2013
    Of course Denise. You are on my speed dial :)

Michael Bonocore
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    This is not just a windows 8 issue as I had shown in a different thread about this issue.
    The black slideshow button is quite ugly on my white pages.
    When will this get resolved????
    I hope this is posted in the correct thread. There are others floating around about this issue!
    This thread is about the slideshow not running (at all) on Windows 8 Mobile.

The Slideshow button is black thread (where you requested an update today) is the one that focuses on the button problem.

I'd love to see a fix for both issues, but the fact that the ugly black button is still there really disturbs me since it is making our sites look awful on IE10.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2013
    This thread is about the slideshow not running (at all) on Windows 8 Mobile.

The Slideshow button is black thread (where you requested an update today) is the one that focuses on the button problem.

I'd love to see a fix for both issues, but the fact that the ugly black button is still there really disturbs me since it is making our sites look awful on IE10.

--- Denise

Denise,

Where the slideshow button is something that will continue to be looked at this week, the slideshow not loading from the SmugMug gallery style on mobile phones will be looked at in a bigger project...per Baldy's message in the support forum.

Sorry Denise!

Michael
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2013
    Denise,

Where the slideshow button is something that will continue to be looked at this week, the slideshow not loading from the SmugMug gallery style on mobile phones will be looked at in a bigger project...per Baldy's message in the support forum.

Sorry Denise!

Michael
    Thanks for the update.

That's kind of what I figured. Having the slideshow button not be black will be a big help.

On the slideshow on mobile devices that don't support flash front, in the time between now and when you address the issue - can you (smug, that is) do something to remove the slideshow button in those environments where it doesn't work?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2013
    Thanks for the update.

That's kind of what I figured. Having the slideshow button not be black will be a big help.

On the slideshow on mobile devices that don't support flash front, in the time between now and when you address the issue - can you (smug, that is) do something to remove the slideshow button in those environments where it doesn't work?

--- Denise

I can ask, but I am pretty confident that we will be concentrating our resources on the stuff Baldy describes, which should make these types of issues much less frequent.

Michael