Options

Smugmug Login Issue [Merged Thread]

Comments

• Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    Please, I do not want to sound like I am showing off, really I am not, as I am sure I am not the only one on these pages who might have ideas about this issue. Most likely SM developers already entertained this idea, but... may I suggest to check load balancer? I have no clue how exactly the system is architectured but if a user cannot stay logged in after signing in there is a good possibility the balancer is not keeping the session tight to the initially selected server.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    At least you all can get in....

Every time I hit the login button I'm transported to the "We're so embarrassed" page about their engineers working on it. Then, being curious I click on the provided for link at the bottom for the Status Blog and that hasn't been updated since OCT 26. Not to be outdone, I go to the Status page and every little checkbox is a green one as of "Current". And yeah, I hit refresh to give me the non-cache version.

Wuz up guys?

• Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    If you have log-in issues & still have the old JFriend HTML Slideshow, try UPDATING !
    Ok, listen up, people who have this log-in issue & still have an old copy of the JFriend HTML 5 Slideshow: (there's nothing here for the rest of you ne_nau.gif ) So, I finally got around to swapping out the older version of the slideshow, which was v 0.9.2 . I updated it to the newest version of the same slideshow (v 1.2.0) over an hour ago. I've been bopping around my site doing all kinds of stuff since then & have not been logged out yet!! It may be too soon to tell, but in my case, maybe that's all I needed to do. This was the first time in weeks that I've not been logged out every 5 min. or so! :cool Crossing fingers. I even left my site & came back, & was still logged in! That hasn'thappened in wks either! Hooray!

I realize at least one person in the thread had success with the slideshow update a couple wks ago, but I didn't have the time to jump on it back then & it didn't seem to be helping everyone. Maybe it only helps those using certain browsers or OS. I'm on FireFox with Vista. Well, I hope this helps someone. JFriend's very simple instructions for upgrading are in the first post in this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=228134 . He says it's mandatory anyway, for compatibility with IE 10. You won't need to change anything in your BioBox-- you just take out the old JFriend HTML 5 Slideshow in 3 places in your Advanced Customization, and copy & paste the new version into the correct places. Hope this helps at least some of us. I'll post back tomorrow to say if I'm still staying logged in.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    I'm another silent user who has been plagued by this issue -- following this thread, seeing the bug finally acknowledged, and waiting patiently for it to be fixed. I was concerned at the earlier suggestion that the volume of reports to the helpdesk and here were being used to measure the overall user impact, and apparently to prioritize the fix. Hopefully, I read too much into that discussion, because I assume that more analytical methods for determining user impact are actually being used, and that my silence (and that of countless others) did not play a role.

I second the requests for clearer and more timely communications from SM about bug fixes.
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    NeigeNeige Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 21, 2012
    New-ish to dgrin, long time SM person. I, too, have been experiencing the login problem for several weeks. Running Win7 64 bit, FF 16.0.2 (though it was with earlier versions of FF, too). Even though I check the 'remember me' box SM doesn't.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    A few thoughts...

1: I'll wager that a fair few users won't ever notice this bug because they either don't visit SM as regularly as others or if they do they only log in the once, do what they have to do and then don't return soon. Even if they do notice the bug they may not be particularly in need of staying logged in and won't be as inconvenienced as the regular users, and so won't feel compelled to speak up.

2: The more times I've read through this thread (and, previously, the standalone threads) the more I've been getting the feeling that, because there are so many similar variants of the symptoms, there may be multiple causes. In other words, maybe there's more than one bug.

3: Is it beyond SM to do an email poll of all of its users, in order to get a better view of the Big Picture (no pun intended)? It's more than likely that most users will check their emails a hell of a lot more often than they check/visit their SM accounts.

What do you reckon?
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    Most disturbingly, still no comment from SmugMug by way of acknowledgement or update.
    John
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 21, 2012
    Hey guys,

I am in charge of QA here at SmugMug, and we just shipped (as in minutes ago) a set of important fixes to logging in and staying logged in.

We were able to track down issues related to the actual point of logging in, and were able to improve that process. There is a very good chance that we haven't solved every login issue brought up in this thread (and others, and emails), as there are several different sets of symptoms I have seen.

That being said, getting you logged in properly should help with many (most? all?) of the issues with staying logged in.

If there are actions that are actively logging you out, it is possible they are still broken. Which is our next step, going through this thread again and trying to replicate any of the issues reported again.

If you are still having issues logging in, or staying logged in, please post them. The more details you have the better of course.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps us make a better product.

-Ben
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2012
    Still working over here.

We just improved logging in for owners of custom domains. Hopefully it should work much better for you now, including (hopefully) removing the step requiring a refresh on your own domain to see that you are logged in.

Still poking around at things, but we should be in a much better spot now.
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    It seems to be working for me, now. I'll confirm that when I get home to my main computer.
    John
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    Same here so far, at home briefly this morning and here at work. And I don't have to refresh every time as I used to before I see my own Nav buttons - they are just there from the start. That is a big improvement although it's a shame that has taken several years to resolve!

So far so good thumb.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited November 22, 2012
    So far, so good. I didn't have to log in this last time.
    thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    ok..
    Today working, remembers me, uploader working normally. Thanks!
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    Yup, it's all good here too clap.gifclapclap.gif

Thanks!
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2012
    Nope, came home from work and I'm logged out again on both ie9 and Chrome rolleyes1.gif

There was 12 hours in between so maybe something else happened to SM in the meantime?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    LPC wrote: »
    Nope, came home from work and I'm logged out again on both ie9 and Chrome rolleyes1.gif

There was 12 hours in between so maybe something else happened to SM in the meantime?

Hi LPC

It would be super helpful to know a few details please.

1. which operating system
    2. link to your SmugMug site
    3. do you use any cookie blasting security software?
    4. do you log in from your homepage or the SmugMug homepage

and any other info that you think may help us track this down further.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2012
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Hi LPC

It would be super helpful to know a few details please.

1. which operating system - Win 7 64bit
    2. link to your SmugMug site - www.laurencecounter.com
    3. do you use any cookie blasting security software? - No
    4. do you log in from your homepage or the SmugMug homepage - Via Smugmug only

and any other info that you think may help us track this down further.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience.

I logged in this morning when I woke up and thought it had worked as I stayed logged in on both ie9 and Chrome. When I came home from work almost exactly 12 hours later I was logged out of both. I logged back into both and so far I still am. I shut down for a spell and restarted earlier and am still logged in so either I logged in this morning before the fixes were finished (although this was after Ben's two posts) or something else is going on.
  • Options
    den123den123 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    So far so good! Thanks! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2012
    Has anyone managed to stay logged in all day?
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2012
    I've stayed logged in overnight thumb.gif

edit -

And I'm logged out again 12 hours later headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2012
    LPC wrote: »
    I've stayed logged in overnight thumb.gif

edit -

And I'm logged out again 12 hours later headscratch.gif

Just to confirm, are you checking "keep me logged in" box on the login screen? If that isn't checked, it will obviously log you out after some time. :)
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2012
    Ben wrote: »
    Just to confirm, are you checking "keep me logged in" box on the login screen? If that isn't checked, it will obviously log you out after some time. :)

Of course.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2012
    Ben wrote: »
    ...We just improved logging in for owners of custom domains. Hopefully it should work much better for you now, including (hopefully) removing the step requiring a refresh on your own domain to see that you are logged in...

So far, it looks like that fixed the login bug for me. And if it removes the refresh requirement, that's gravy. Good job!
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    Dave17Dave17 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2012
    Login an refresh issue
    BigRed wrote: »
    So far, it looks like that fixed the login bug for me. And if it removes the refresh requirement, that's gravy. Good job!

Everything seems to be working properly here. I have not been logged out and no longer have to refresh to get my menus after logging in. clap.gif
    --Dave
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2012
    I am able to stay logged in now. clap.gif

At first, I thought I had 'accidentally' fixed two problems with one action--I had to uninstall the most updated version of Java and load a lower version of Java to solve a problem I was having on another website. Since I did that, I noticed that I stay logged in to SmugMug AND I am also not having any more upload issues. I thought "wow...I discovered something!" and then saw this thread that SM loaded a fix right around the same time I swapped out my Java. I had a good laugh thinking I'd fixed something when I really hadn't. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Thanks for fixing the problem!

Sherry
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2012
    mrcoons wrote: »
    Another member having this problem. Happens on Safari, IE, Firefix and Chrome. Also having the occasional upload problem that Fishead mentioned in post #115.
    No more upload problems but I have not used it very much. But I still have to login every time.

I open my page, www.musicman5photos.com, on iOS or Win7 and still have to sign in every time. No cookie blocking software.

What have I missed?
  • Options
    Dave17Dave17 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2012
    Fix was working fine until the last 10 minutes. Closed Safari, re-opened, went to my site and I was logged out. Logged in, did not have to refresh to get menus, went to different site, back to my site and had to refresh to get menus.

Either someone tweaked this afternoon or this problem has not been fixed 100% yet. headscratch.gif
    --Dave
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited November 26, 2012
    Today, it broke again. ne_nau.gif Can't stay logged in. Safari.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Mark, Dave, David, what cookie settings do you have in your browser? Make sure that it's set to accept all cookies at all times including third party cookies.

Perhaps in your privacy / cookie settings you've enabled a setting to not allow sites to track you? That could mean the browser is discarding cookies when you close it.

Do you have any addons, toolbars or extensions installed? If so which?

For iOS, also make sure that private browsing is disabled. In iOS, you can find the cookie and privacy settings in the settings app > Safari.

If the problem persists, you might have to clear your cookies to get rid of corrupted cookies.

If that doesn't help, reply back with details, including the browser version you use and from where you log in (www.smugmug.com or your SmugMug nickname address or your custom domain if you have any).
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    xlubenxluben Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Seems to be working better for me. Kind of annoying that the posts I was subscribed to got merged/deleted.

I find it annoying that everyone is constantly asked about cookie settings. This issue wasn't happening one day, and then started happening the next (for many, many people). Everyone's cookie settings didn't magically change. SmugMug broke. It's starting to look like desperate grasping at straws to keep suggesting this.