Options

Smugmug Login Issue [Merged Thread]

Comments

• Options
    Seth SSeth S Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Hi Sara. We're sorry to hear about your login trouble. If you haven't tried already please clear your browser's cache and cookies. Then shut the browser down completely and bring it back up. Then try logging in again. If you continue to experience any issues please email us directly at the following link so we can get a little more information about your operating system and browser.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    I've cleared my cache, closed my browser, reopened, but I still have to log in every time I go to Smug Mug. And yes, I'm referring to the issue that a lot of people are having. I dont' have time to monkey around, quite frankly, and I don't want to be given a run-around with stock replies. Please (now, imagine all caps here) Smug Mug, Please Fix This Issue, It's Beginning to Get Quite Annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Seth S wrote: »
    Hi Sara. We're sorry to hear about your login trouble. If you haven't tried already please clear your browser's cache and cookies. Then shut the browser down completely and bring it back up. Then try logging in again. If you continue to experience any issues please email us directly at the following link so we can get a little more information about your operating system and browser.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new

Enough of the bull with this. You folks know damn well you have a problem and it is on your end, not ours. These canned responses about the things we have to do with our browsers when you know they will not help are really starting to anger people. If this is a new feature that we get with the major price increase, just come out and tell us that. Staying with Smugmug is getting harder with each passing day.

Wayne
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    wayne861 wrote: »
    Enough of the bull with this. You folks know damn well you have a problem and it is on your end, not ours. These canned responses about the things we have to do with our browsers when you know they will not help are really starting to anger people. If this is a new feature that we get with the major price increase, just come out and tell us that. Staying with Smugmug is getting harder with each passing day.

Wayne

Absolutely correct, Wayne!
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    wayne861 wrote: »

Wayne

I agree. Every morning I see that this still hasn't been aknowledged let alone fixed I wonder why I'm bothering. Please tell us you are at least looking into this issue.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    It's been acknowledged and it is being worked on. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    It's been acknowledged and it is being worked on. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

I no longer have a horse in this race, but I'm going to suggest you develop a method for alerting your other support people when there is a known issue that is being worked on.

This will reduce the odds that other heroes such as Ann McRae and Seth S. will end up walking into a known issue and trying to start from square one, when they don't need to.

Also, in communication, avoid the passive voice. Look how much more dynamic your response sounds in active voice: "We've acknowledged the issue and we are working on it." It sounds like you have teams of people working on this night and day, even if the reality is that it's just Joe the Intern looking at it in-between coffee runs. :D
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2012

That's not an acknowledgement, just a link to another unresolved reporting of the same issue. Saying 'it's being worked on' is an acknowledgement though, so thank you. I'll see how things go in the next 24 hours or so.
  • Options
    wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2012

This issue has been acknowledged and worked on for how long now? We get new cards but nothing on an issue that has been angering customers for some time. With the major price increase we should be getting better service, not worse. When can we expect to see this issue resolved?
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2012
    For pity's sake. How long before this well-known and wide-ranging problem is fixed??
    John
  • Options
    rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2012
    I have this same issue as everyone else in this thread. Support tells me it's my 'old" slideshow code. Does anyone else have the old slideshow running on their home page? I also had this same issue back in Feb. of 2009. I was told then to clear cookies, blah,blah,blah. To make a long story short one day the log in issue just went away. Don't hold your breath for a fix.
    Rich
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2012
    No hacks on my site, just the standard stuff available from SmugMug. I'll turn the slideshow off and see what happens. However, if it 'is' the slideshow then the point is probably that SmugMug has made a change to the slideshow code in some way, because it was working just fine for me until recently. If so, then that's where the heroes need to start - and perhaps issue and advisory to disable it in the meantime.
    John
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2012
    I have no custom slideshow code and no slideshow on my homepage just a static image. I then just have the standard slideshow button in each gallery.

As for logging in and out - I am now always logged out on IE9 at home, on Firefox and Chrome at work, on Chrome on my tablet and on Opera Mini on my phone. I log in via Smugmug and half an hour later I've been logged out again whether I leave my site to visit others or just close a browsing session from my site only.

If it is down to slideshow code then what should we be looking for in our CSS?
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    I reported in the other thread that I haven't had any problems since my designer updated my slideshow code. I thought the problem might have returned because I did have one login/upload issue, but that might have been due to the fact I was trying during the weekly maintenance period.

As of today, I've not had any login or upload problems since updating my slideshow code.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    I've tried Mac and Win, FF, IE9/10, Chrome and Safari. Logging in and staying logged in with no problem. I have a very customized site, with the Jfriend slideshow on my homepage. I can't imagine what the issue is but I bet it's something in common with all of you guys that are affected. What slideshow code and other hacks to you run?

I have a Basic account so I have no hacks or customisations, yet I still have the login/out issue.

I've found that if I keep a second browser window/tab open in the background (same browser), I don't get logged out of SM.

If I have no second browser window/tab open, the sequence of events is always the same and is as follows:

1. Open browser
    2. Go to SM
    3. It shows that I'm logged out, so I log in (the "stay logged in" box is already checked and the username & pw are prefilled)
    4. Close browser
    5. Open browser again
    6. Go to SM again, and yes, I find that I AM still logged in.
    7. Close browser again
    8. Open browser again
    9. Go to SM again, and lo and behold, I find that I've been logged out, and so have to log in again.
    10. Step 4
    11. Step 5
    12. Step 6
    13. Step 7
    14. Step 8
    15. Step 9
    16. Step 4
    17. Step 5 etc etc always the same sequence.
    As far as I can see, it's not browser-dependent. I'm on XP SP3 and for me it's the same whichever browser I use.

So, to reiterate, it's only a problem when SM is in the only window/tab. Having a second window/tab open prevents any unwanted logout.

I'd guess that if you always work with multiple windows/tabs open you'd never experience this login/out issue, and hence would never appreciate why we're all getting so frustrated.

Does that help?

Stef
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2012
    There's no improvement after removing the slide show. I still can't log in properly.
    John
  • Options
    redcrown@mchsi.comredcrown@mchsi.com Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    Add me to those having the problem. Both with Firefox 16.0.2 and Chrome 23.? No slideshows of other fancy aspects on my SMugmug site.

Ironically, when I came here to Dgrin to search and report I was already logged into Dgrin, and I have not visited Dgrin in a long, long time.
  • Options
    SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    This repeated logging in is getting old real fast.

When will it be fixed?
  • Options
    TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    Add me to the list.

In fact, I have two separate accounts, one Pro with lots of custom stuff (but no slide shows), and one Power with all built in "Easy Customer" changes. Problems with both accounts, using both Chrome and Firefox, and on two different computers as well as an iPad with Safari.

This is getting old fast - if I can provide any more information to help speed the fix along please let me know - hopefully this is moving towards the top of the priority list.

Thanks,

Scott
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
  • Options
    xlubenxluben Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    Fix the log in issue
    This issue is well documented and has received nothing but unhelpful responses. This needs to be fixed NOW.

As someone who pays money for this service I should not have to waste my time logging in dozens of times a day.

This is making me HATE SmugMug and never want to use it again.

The horrible support that is being shown on the forums is not helping me either. Don't tell me to send an e-mail.

This is your problem. FIX IT.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2012
    I whole-heartedly agree. After deciding to accept your substantial price increase because of your legal problems, I'm afraid that this is nearly the last straw for me. I'm not going to put up with this for much longer.
    John
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    what legal problems????
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    jfriend wrote: »
    If your scripts are blank in advanced customizer, then you are just using the Smugmug slideshow and that is updated automatically by Smugmug whenever they modify it. You do not have a third party slideshow to update.

Thanks but then I guess the login issue is not related, in its entirety, to the old slideshow script then because I still have it....most annoying. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    Same damn thing for me as well. Have to log in every time I visit the site. Glad to see SmugMug's first response is still blame the user. I went years without having to log in now I have to do all the time.
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2012
    Seriously. They raise the price. A lot. Then the user experience goes to hell. Fix the problem. Making it real easy to leave once my year is over.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2012
    Never used the damn slideshow and I'm having the same issue as others.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2012
    mishenka wrote: »
    what legal problems????

These, mishenka: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1831596&postcount=128
    John
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2012
    Legal problems will be the least of their worries if all their customers leave.

Is this issue affecting everyone? Or is it only certain people?
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2012
    I agree. It's shocking, really. This ridiculous log-in issue would never have been allowed to go on for months in the past. It's clearly affecting a huge lot of people, and is highly frustrating and time-consuming. It doesn't appear to be the kind of thing that couldn't be figured out pronto with a few dedicated trouble-shooters. What's more, the only word on it is "we'll let you know when it's fixed". Well-- uhh, we will all know instantly when it's fixed!!! Can we not hear even one progress report... i.e. what is actually being done to fix this, & who's working on it, and how much time is being dedicated to it? Stop everything else that's non-essential (like blog posts), stop telling people to write the help desk, and just please, please get rid of this problem! Some of us are dealing with it 100s of times a day!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2012
    If you figure normal labor rates, I bet this issue is costing some people more per week (in wasted time), than an entire year of SmugMug subscription!

It needs to be fixed. Now. Stop wasting our time.