Come with me to Africa!

80weeks80weeks Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited February 18, 2009 in Wildlife
My husband and I are currently on a round the world trip, which started with 4 months in Africa. We're currently doing a ski season in Banff, where we had hoped to pp the photos - unfortunately my laptop screen is just not up to the job so the photos posted here are generally straight out of the camera.

All photos were taken with the Panasonic FZ18, although we're now planning a return trip to Africa in 5 years or so with a DSLR and more focus on photography. Hope you like the photos! :)

1. What you looking at? (Zimbabwe) 12 month old male lion. He is part of a rehabilitation program that raises money by taking tourists for walks with the lions!! Amazing experience. I love this photo, although I would like to remove my husbands foot from it.

464550571_5euEi-L.jpg

2. A windswept Gelada baboon. (Ethiopia) It was a rainy, windy miserable day and I like the feel of this photo (my husband is not such a fan though)

464571490_nKU9J-L.jpg

3. Another Gelada baboon (Ethiopia)

464572490_GTKHH-L.jpg

4. Flamingos, wildebeest and zebra (Lake Manyara, Tanzania)

464581277_pp5QU-L.jpg

5. Cubs fighting over dinner (Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania) The growling of these little cubs was quite amazing to here.

464591049_KX4fp-L.jpg

6. Morning stroll (Seregeti, Tanzania) I love the morning light in this photo, taken shortly after dawn.

464594082_AsBSu-L.jpg

7. Leopard (Serengeti, Tanzania)

464587207_pJxFw-L.jpg

8. Honey badger (Kruger, South Africa) We felt extremely lucky to see this honey badger shortly before sunset. He was digging up eggs (we think monitor lizard eggs) and eating them.

466043159_JD4Z6-L.jpg

9. A beautiful doe (Kruger, South Africa)

466042284_WRtjm-L.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Nice series. thumb.gifthumb.gif It's on my bucket list rolleyes1.gif What kind of glass did you use with that leopard?
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Great Stuff, dig seeing these

The Morning Stroll takes the prize for me ylsuper.gif
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Sound like you had a nice trip! Cool photos!thumb.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • 80weeks80weeks Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Nice series. thumb.gifthumb.gif It's on my bucket list rolleyes1.gif What kind of glass did you use with that leopard?

All were taken with the Panasonic FZ18 (one of the superzoom P&S).

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! :D
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Sounds like a phenomenal trip. #4 is a wall hanger. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    What a great experience you are having! The images are wonderful!
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Wow... just to be there let alone you captured these!
    Incredible journey! I can only imagine the fantastic images you have captured only speak a whisper of what you are experiencing. Thanks for sharing. M
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
    edited February 17, 2009
    Thanks again for the nice comments

Harryb wrote:
    Sounds like a phenomenal trip. #4 is a wall hanger. clap.gif

We keep having debates about which photos are going on the wall when we get home - we've come to the conclusion we'll need a bigger house to get enough wall!!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    80weeks wrote:
    Thanks again for the nice comments

We keep having debates about which photos are going on the wall when we get home - we've come to the conclusion we'll need a bigger house to get enough wall!!
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Awesome! Can't believe how close you got to that Leopard! And the baboons are amazing animals. Sounds like an fantastic journey. Your photos brought back excellent memories for me of the Serengetti, Lake Manyara, and Ngorongoro.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

edited February 18, 2009
    chrisdg wrote:
    Awesome! Can't believe how close you got to that Leopard! And the baboons are amazing animals. Sounds like an fantastic journey. Your photos brought back excellent memories for me of the Serengetti, Lake Manyara, and Ngorongoro.

The leopard was the highlight of the safari for me. She actually brushed the front of our car as she went past us! :ivar
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Me again. Just curious - how much of your world tour was pre-planned before you left the house vs just taking it on the fly? I hope to do this one day soon.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    You caught up with a honey badger! Lucky you! When I was on a trip in Kenya and Tanzania, a couple was constantly on the lookout for the honey badger. We never found one. Lovely images from my favorite continent.
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited February 18, 2009
    chrisdg wrote:
    Me again. Just curious - how much of your world tour was pre-planned before you left the house vs just taking it on the fly? I hope to do this one day soon.

Well, we had the first two nights accommodation booked, the rest was done on the fly! We had a rough idea where we wanted to go and what we wanted to do, but the trip changed completely as we went a lot due to other traveler's recommendations. One of the big ones was Ethiopia, which wasn't even a passing thought when we left and turned out to be one of our favourite African countries. The ski season we're now doing in Canada, was also not part of the original plan. We're booking flights as we go, which allows us to be very flexible with our plans. Definitely go!! It's just fabulous and worth all the time, effort and money!clap.gif
  • leaheleahe Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    Incredible shots! This trip may become a reality next year, we'll see. And you were lucky enough to see a leopard out in the open like that. I am always the one who gets "you just missed it". Great job.