love this texture

My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited April 20, 2009 in Finishing School
First, let me say that I am not the owner of this beautiful image (see attatchment). I am only using it for an example. I love the texture on this image. Does anyone know where I can find it and how to use it? I saw someone else's post about free textures on Flickr, but either I have not come across this texture, or I just did not recognize it, since all the free textures are on texture backgrounds instead of photos.

Thank you. Melissa

www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com

Comments

• My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Found a similar texure. Here is my first attempt at this... Is it right? Maybe I'm supposed to erase some texture from my subject? I think maybe this texture is a little too grainy for the face. Would still like to get my hands on that other texture.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    My3Sons wrote:
    First, let me say that I am not the owner of this beautiful image (see attatchment). I am only using it for an example. I love the texture on this image. Does anyone know where I can find it and how to use it? I saw someone else's post about free textures on Flickr, but either I have not come across this texture, or I just did not recognize it, since all the free textures are on texture backgrounds instead of photos.

Thank you. Melissa

Not sure where that one came from, but another excellent recource for textures and more is deviantart.
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Deviantart is a great source. There are a billion free textures on Flickr, as well. Atomic Cupcake has a great linen texture, which looks pretty close to the first.

I don't think you should erase any of the texture from your subject; they are supposed to mimic different media, like painting on wood, or a canvas print. That said, you can do whatever you think looks good to your eye.
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Texture groups on Flickr that I know about;

Textures for Layers http://www.flickr.com/groups/textures4layers/
    Textures Only http://www.flickr.com/groups/textures_only/

These all contain a bazillion unprocessed textures with creative commons licenses.

My texture set. http://www.flickr.com/photos/22756666@N06/sets/72157613435729262/
    DH's set. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvcf14/sets/72157614961197314/

PS comes with a bunch of canned patterns that can be used as textures with a blending mode - and resized which is useful.
    My SmugMug Galleries
    Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt
    edited April 19, 2009
    Awesome... I will check out all these great links. Thanks to everyone who has posted so far!

• PrairiemaidenPrairiemaiden Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    texture how to use it.
    My3Sons wrote:

Thank you. Melissa

You can get the texture effect several different ways. If you have photoshop you can just drop a texture you like into a new layer - transform it to fit your photo - then change the blend mode. aka - mulitply, screen, overlay - add a layer mask to reveal all (white) paint with black to hide the texture on the face or parts you do not like. You can also reduce the opacity of the texture layer.

2nd way. Make a new layer in photoshop above photo layer. Open your brushes pallette (find a texture brush) Many free hi resolution brushes on the internet. Brush over your photo where you want the texture, change brush opacity as well layer opacity to get different effects. Hope that helps. Fly me an email and I can send some texture brushes your way as well as some texture files.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    Some textures you can just photograph yourself for later use in image editing.

Cross lighting helps to demonstrate textures, but tree trunks, canvas, brick walls, skies are all fodder for being captured and used again in a new image.

I keep a folder on my hard drive for shots of skies, tree trunks, brick walls, etc just for that purpose, and an eye out when I am out and about shooting as well.

You can also scan a number of things on a flat bed scanner instead of a photograph
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 20, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Some textures you can just photograph yourself for later use in image editing.

Cross lighting helps to demonstrate textures, but tree trunks, canvas, brick walls, skies are all fodder for being captured and used again in a new image.

I keep a folder on my hard drive for shots of skies, tree trunks, brick walls, etc just for that purpose, and an eye out when I am out and about shooting as well.

You can also scan a number of things on a flat bed scanner instead of a photograph

Great ideas. The texture I used is actually a photo of a piece of scratched copper. I dropped it onto the picture of the boy holding the bunny, and then resized it to fit. I chose "soft light" as my blending mode.