" Deliverance " territory

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited August 30, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
I get into some pretty deep back-woods areas in my searches for these old barns. 4-wheel drive is a must. This particular barn may be the record, though, for inaccessibility. That's probably the main reason it's one of my favorites.

summer%202014%20149-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    Like!! Didnt know Appalachia was this green! All your shots seem like the are coming from tropics!
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    Great place and shot. Have you ever attempted shots inside these barns? without getting shot yourself of course...
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Like!! Didn't know Appalachia was this green! All your shots seem like the are coming from tropics!

As I've noted in the past, the greens of the trees and grasses during the Spring in the parts of the Appalachians I frequent the most ( NW North Carolina, NE Tennessee, SW Virginia ) have been phenomenal the last two years. I've never seen them quite so vibrant.

Last year, the area had less than stellar Fall color changes. This year, they're seeing very early color changes and don't expect to have a significant Fall color season. I wonder if the exceptional greens earlier have any influence on the following color changes.

See you,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 23, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    Great place and shot. Have you ever attempted shots inside these barns? without getting shot yourself of course...

Very seldom do I have the opportunity to get any interior shots....in many cases, safety considerations make me wary to try even if I had permission. The few I've gotten into were rodent-infested snake traps and I'm not too fond of places like that.

Take care, buddy,

Tom
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 23, 2014
    Man, I looked at this and I heard banjo music! Neat building.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    ......rodent-infested snake traps and I'm not too fond of places like that.
    Better stay a good distance south of the US Capital then... mwink.gif

Fine old Barn Tom... even looks like it gets used a bit.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 23, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »

I tell you, Ian, I've been in a handful of places where I swear I could hear the banjo music myself. You go deep enough into those mountains and you can run across some people who are, let's say, 'different'.

Take care,

Tom
    edited August 23, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Better stay a good distance south of the US Capital then... mwink.gif

Fine old Barn Tom... even looks like it gets used a bit.

I hear you, fellow. I give that gathering of vermin in the Capital as wide a berth as possible.

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2014
    Howdy Pard,

I'm going to go out on a limb a little here:

You've shot so many old structures that I'm guessing that you might feel as though your taking snapshots, not really putting much effort into the image, aside from the effort to get there.

Am I close?

But, what I consistently see, is a well thought out image. Great composition, leading lines when possible, (as the fence post line in this image), very well managed exposure.

That's all a sign of experience and skill!

I, as you, love old structures like barns. Keep me' coming, we appreciate them thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 24, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    Howdy Pard,

I'm going to go out on a limb a little here:

You've shot so many old structures that I'm guessing that you might feel as though your taking snapshots, not really putting much effort into the image, aside from the effort to get there.

Am I close?

But, what I consistently see, is a well thought out image. Great composition, leading lines when possible, (as the fence post line in this image), very well managed exposure.

That's all a sign of experience and skill!

I, as you, love old structures like barns. Keep me' coming, we appreciate them thumb.gif

It's kind of funny, pard. I really feel the emotion of Wayne Carini ( star of TV's Chasing Classic Cars ) when he reiterates that the thrill is in the hunt. I feel the same rush when I flush out a great find.

I never tire, however, of trying to give the viewer the same excitement I feel when shooting these finds. I will fire off multiple exposures each event....looking for that one that best represents the character and impact of the subject. The finding, and the subsequent shooting, of these old structures are equally compelling to me. If you don't find it, you can't shoot it. If you don't give it your best efforts when shooting, then the opportunity for complete satisfaction is lost. I invest too much time, effort, and money to drop the ball anywhere along these journeys.

BTW...I've been fortunate to have enjoyed a couple of one-on-one, face-to-face conversations with Mr. Carini. He's every bit the first-class gentleman that's portrayed on his TV show.

You, Teresa, and Tater stay safe,

Tom
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 30, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »

My first thought as well. rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 30, 2014
    Angelo wrote: »
    My first thought as well. rolleyes1.gif

I have, on occasion, stumbled onto a setting that that could well have doubled for that one seen in the movie. Even in the cases where you see no people, which is most often the case, you know they're there and you get the distinct impression that you are not wanted around there. I can take a hint.

See you,

Tom