Old Barns

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited July 19, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Continuing my efforts to document as many old farm buildings as I can, these new finds were located as I drifted through southern Virginia and northern North Carolina.

summer%202014%20203-X3.jpg

The old boy who owns this spread was quite interesting. He's 91 years old and still tills the land. His wife is too frail to help so he handles all the chores himself. He didn't have much formal education but he's plenty sharp. He uses this old barn to store hay. He's not sure, but figures the barn to be over 100 years old. These two images are of the same barn.

summer%202014%20140-X3.jpg

When the old barns start leaning too much, they just start propping them up with support logs. I've seen many you couldn't pay me to go into, but they're still in use.

summer%202014%20146-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2014
    Nice barn shots! Nice idea to document them. :cool
    Steve
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2014
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    Nice barn shots! Nice idea to document them. :cool

Thanks, Steve, for the visit. I'm trying to document as many of these things as I can....so many of them are being torn down for the old, weathered wood. Several of my all-time favorites have already fallen prey to the wood scavengers. I've got close to 400 documented so far....taken me quite a while.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2014
    Beautiful and nostalgic images Tom. I was thinking we hadn,t seen you online for a while. Then I remembered you were busy prowling the back roads of NC. Are you still up there?

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2014
    Vibrant green completely surrounding the barn in first shot makes it feel like a very cozy place!
    Like beginning of a fairy tale.......
    Well done Tom!
    Cheers!
    edited July 19, 2014
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Beautiful and nostalgic images Tom. I was thinking we hadn,t seen you online for a while. Then I remembered you were busy prowling the back roads of NC. Are you still up there?

Hey Jack,

I appreciate the comment....I think the "nostalgia" angle is one of the primary forces that drives my interest in these old buildings. I came home last week. Got away with a month up there. I dreaded coming back to the heat and humidity in Florida.

Take care, buddy,

Tom
    edited July 19, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Vibrant green completely surrounding the barn in first shot makes it feel like a very cozy place!
    Like beginning of a fairy tale.......
    Well done Tom!
    Cheers!

Thanks, Taz. It's good to hear from you and I appreciate your support.

Take care,

Tom
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2014
    Hi Tom. I do enjoy your barn shots - they give an interesting insight into the local farming communities.

Cheers, Richard.
    edited July 19, 2014
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi Tom. I do enjoy your barn shots - they give an interesting insight into the local farming communities.

Cheers, Richard.

Yes, Richard, these old barns cause one to reflect on a time when America was a much simpler environment....not as rushed, focused on greatness.

Take care,

Tom