Options

Birds Of Paradise

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited October 14, 2014 in Other Cool Shots

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2014
    Nice idea Dan, but I see flower first and have to find the bird....can see buiding in bg, also bit graininess and noise in the bottom. The AF was on bird so large amount of pic is soft and it is getting most attention. Hope not too harsh....like your stuff in general! Cheers!
  • Options
    AlexSharkAlexShark Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2014
    Very, very nice! Superb composition. Is that a humming bird? I'm not great at that sort of thing, though I know that the bird of paradise is actually the flower. The relative size contributes a lot to the photo. How in the world did you manage to put this together? The only way I could do it is if the bird was stuffed!

Tech stuff: the bird seems to be oversharpened; and there's the subsequent halo around her. To my taste, there's barely the need to sharpen this photo, and if yes -- maybe 1px @ 75% on the "regular" size image. If you want to keep this one as is, I'd eliminate the halo by cloning around with a soft brush in Darken blend mode -- 10 sec and the halo's gone. The background around the bird is lighter, so Darken would do nothing to the bird if you source cloning from the background.

The actual bird of paradise is soft in spots, and I don't find this a problem. Something that looks like a doorframe and the brown OOF object on top are problematic. They impose the context that I don't care for.
    Photography is about what does not meet the eye
    Be my guest: Alex Braverman Photography
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2014
    I didn't know Birds of Paradise was a flower. I however doubt in its natural state it is found as bokeh with grainy purple shadow. I would try to find one to be sure! Cheers!
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice idea Dan, but I see flower first and have to find the bird....can see buiding in bg, also bit graininess and noise in the bottom. The AF was on bird so large amount of pic is soft and it is getting most attention. Hope not too harsh....like your stuff in general! Cheers!
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I didn't know Birds of Paradise was a flower. I however doubt in its natural state it is found as bokeh with grainy purple shadow. I would try to find one to be sure! Cheers!

I was going to ignore your first reply, but two moronic posts in a row and I couldn't resist. This forum is "Other Cool Shots". If you want technically great photos go to Landscapes or even Wildlife. I posted it here because 'when is the last time you saw a hummingbird perched on a bird of paradise'? NEVER, would be the correct response. But you chose to focus on the pixels, and consequently missed the whole point. Oh, and by the way, the colors on this BOP are accurate. :stfu
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2014
    dlplumer wrote: »
    I was going to ignore your first reply, but two moronic posts in a row and I couldn't resist. This forum is "Other Cool Shots". If you want technically great photos go to Landscapes or even Wildlife. I posted it here because 'when is the last time you saw a hummingbird perched on a bird of paradise'? NEVER, would be the correct response. But you chose to focus on the pixels, and consequently missed the whole point. Oh, and by the way, the colors on this BOP are accurate. :stfu

Your thin skin make you sort of pathetic.
    Shot sucks.
    It is neither cool nor good.
    You are welcome to keep enjoying it.
    I shall not waste a time on you and your posts again.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited October 13, 2014
    Great catch, I love the contrast between the very large flower and the tiny hummingbird!

--- Denise
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2014
    Ditto what Denise said--great catch Dan.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2014
    Without a back story, and thus no idea about the supposed rarity of this event, then surely any viewer can only comment on what's in front of them?

I like the composition, but also wonder whether a different crop might be worth trying, in order to deal with the leaf tips that've been 'just' clipped ... ie crop further into the plant?

Overall, it fits into a category that I'm also familiar with ... a 'record' shot to show mrs pp something interesting / unusual etc that I saw on a trip ... rather than the sort of shot that I'm actually after - these invariably get dumped, after different dwell times on the HD.

If this were mine, the background would certainly seal its fate.

Btw, googling both these 2 items together produces other shots.

pp