Options

Warp My Mind

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited October 15, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
I've been seeing this place for years. Never ventured too close to it, though, as it's darn near inaccessible. The mystery of the place, however, finally pulled me to it. As I got real close, it became apparent that the old place packed more ju-ju than I did. I thought I could stare it down but that weird appearance quickly sent me scurrying.

I assure you that any perceived lean to this building is the fault of the building, of course. I will give you fair warning. Pick a spot on the image...any spot....and stare at it briefly. The rest of the picture will start to play games with you.

Summer%202014%20213.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2014
    Ju-Ju for sure!
    4 Tequila shot! Unless you count the door...then the whole bottle!
    I keep searching for barns and old houses.....will surprise you one day!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2014
    This is one of those "like to know the story behind" photos.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Ju-Ju for sure!
    4 Tequila shot! Unless you count the door...then the whole bottle!
    I keep searching for barns and old houses.....will surprise you one day!
    Cheers!

I love surprises, Taz. Put it on me.

Take care buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2014
    This is one of those "like to know the story behind" photos.

Phil

I wish, Phil, that I knew the story. This old place is a two-story structure...probably measuring about 35' by 65-70'. The inside is an absolute ramshackle so it's hard to guess what its prime purpose was. Some subtle clues lead me to believe it was an old country store.

Only one side ( the front ) has this bewildering façade....the back side has uniform exterior paneling all the way across. The two ends of the building are also uniformly paneled. I can only imagine what prompted the owner to go this route....perhaps a strong sense of humor.

All the ' horizontal ' paneling on the right side of this image flushes up perfectly with the angled paneling on the left side. There are a number of illusions at play so that, when standing there looking at it, you're rewarded with a rather bizarre spectacle.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2014
    I wish, Phil, that I knew the story. This old place is a two-story structure...probably measuring about 35' by 65-70'. The inside is an absolute ramshackle so it's hard to guess what it's prime purpose was. Some subtle clues lead me to believe it was an old country store.

Only one side ( the front ) has this bewildering façade....the back side has uniform exterior paneling all the way across. The two ends of the building are also uniformly paneled. I can only imagine what prompted the owner to go this route....perhaps a strong sense of humor.

All the ' horizontal ' paneling on the right side of this image flushes up perfectly with the angled paneling on the left side. There are a number of illusions at play so that, when standing there looking at it, you're rewarded with a rather bizarre spectacle.

You not only have an excellent eye, but you write well too.

When I look at this image I see a number of patterns and lines in different directions. Plus a wide set of grey tones. (trying to teach myself how to evaluate images.)

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2014
    A very interesting building, but I think you need a new lens as it appears to have a lot of issues!

Notice how it records a sceen very warped...rolleyes1.gif

Or, maybe it's the loose nut behind the viewfinder ne_nau.gif

Take care Pard
    Randy
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2014
    Love the imagination of the builder. Looks like he/she gathered what ever they could to finish off the one side. Does make the eyes go crossed looking at it, but fun to :D
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    A very interesting building, but I think you need a new lens as it appears to have a lot of issues!

Notice how it records a sceen very warped...rolleyes1.gif

Or, maybe it's the loose nut behind the viewfinder ne_nau.gif

Take care Pard

A new lens? That's what I've been saying. Trouble is, Darlene's on ' high alert ' over all these packages showing up on our doorstep.:D

A loose nut? Pard, you sell me short. Pop my cranium and take a good look. You'll see more jumbled up and mismatched parts than the law allows. :slurp

See you, buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2014
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Love the imagination of the builder. Looks like he/she gathered what ever they could to finish off the one side. Does make the eyes go crossed looking at it, but fun to :D

It would be interesting to know what motivated this exterior treatment. Consider, though, that this place is in the heart of moonshine country.....might have something to do with it.

See you, Mary,

Tom
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2014
    Looks like a Federal Gov, low-bid, hammer-ready, Stimulus project... lol3.gif
    But, I digress - Hi Tom! Fun Shot... thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Looks like a Federal Gov, low-bid, hammer-ready, Stimulus project... lol3.gif
    But, I digress - Hi Tom! Fun Shot... thumb.gif

In the same vein, Eric, check out this bona fide, open-for-business, U.S. Post Office. Lord help us.

mountains%2010%20-%2009%20019-x3.jpg
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2014
    Great stuff, Tom! I love the contrasting lines and tones. You should build up some more bravery and spend more time on this old building. And love the PO shot. I shoot them everywhere I go.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    redleash wrote: »
    Great stuff, Tom! I love the contrasting lines and tones. You should build up some more bravery and spend more time on this old building. And love the PO shot. I shoot them everywhere I go.

Hi Lauren,

I do intend to give this old building another going-over. It's loaded with abstract possibilities.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2014
    In the same vein, Eric, check out this bona fide, open-for-business, U.S. Post Office. Lord help us.

mountains%2010%20-%2009%20019-x3.jpg

Would this happen to be in Oklawaha, Fla? They had one that looked just like this. I don't know if it is still in operation but it was when I left there in 1995.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2014
    Hi Gary,

I appreciate the visit. This old P.O. is in Penland, N.C. I pass it frequently on my way to the Penland School of Crafts....a fascinating teaching institution. Located high in the Appalachians, its graduates are some of the most accomplished artisans and craftsmen in the country.

Tom