Smoker of the Pipe

seneca77seneca77 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited October 31, 2006 in People
This is my friend Tom, hanging out in our local tobacco store like we do every weekend. He is evidently deep in thought, with his meerschaum pipe clenched tightly in his jaw. I snapped the shutter at precisely the right moment, just as a little puff of smoke was released from the bowl. TIA for any comments.

- Bob

106130978-M-1.jpg
- Bob
Tampa Bay, FL

www.seneca77.smugmug.com

Comments

• ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    I like the shot, I'd tend to try that one in Black & White and add a little contrast. The background is a little distracting, maybe darken it a bit. Just some thoughts.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    Whoa...what a great shot. I think you did a great job. The puff of smoke is perfect.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    Nice shot. Pretty cool catching the smoke.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    I love his expression. And the little puff of smoke is great, especially as it's highlighted against a black strip.

I agree that the background is so busy as to be distracting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    I like the shot, I'd tend to try that one in Black & White and add a little contrast. The background is a little distracting, maybe darken it a bit. Just some thoughts.

Ed stole what I was going to say! I would also PS out that flame on his shirt - not enough of it to add to the photo, just enough to subtract.

You may even be able to crop a bit from the top and left, but you'd have to decide if it was too close...

Great shot!
  • seneca77seneca77 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Thank You!
    Thanks to everyone who commented - I appreciate it. I would have loved to have a plainer, less distracting background, but it was more of a snapshot than anything. I did try in Photoshop to mask Tom out and place him onto an all-dark background, but just couldn't get it looking good.

Thanks again!

- Bob
    - Bob
    Tampa Bay, FL

www.seneca77.smugmug.com