Shooting people is just like cars right...?

speedracer04speedracer04 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited November 4, 2010 in Weddings
:) I had my first real shoot with people ever, other then car models at shows and bugging my girlfriend while out. I ended up agreeing to take one of my friends engagement photos and really enjoyed the experience but it is certainly different, mostly in that I felt like I needed in entertain while photographing and not just get into a groove and sort of zone out. Even by the end of the shoot though this started to feel more natural. Before the shoot I looked through different sets and tried to learn positions that I thought worked well while not looking to unnatural. Below are the first few photos that I have edited, I still have not figured out what style I like. Once I have some more photos edited I will add them to this post.

All comments are greatly appreciated, I am still working on editing the other photos before giving them anything so everything helps. Also I have a few general questions if anyone has the time to help out.

1065449731_x5wJS-L.jpg

1065449774_t4y4W-L.jpg

1065449776_mm9pA-L.jpg

1, I am planning on getting some Alian Bees B800's along with other stuff like umbrellas/soft boxes for automotive work. Do people normally use equipment like that for engagement photos? Or would it I be better suited with a reflector?

2, How many locations are evolved in the normal shoot? For this shoot they wanted to hit what seems like a lot of spots and I was happy to because with this being my first time I wanted to also use it for a test. From automotive work I am used to working with one or two spots so this seemed rushed.

3, I have more that I am going blank but I will be back :)

Thanks for looking and any help!

Comments

• Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Love the first one. Great slow shutter and nice composition :)

The 2nd will be loved by them for sure, I would just like to see it from a slightly lower angle and possibly to the side so the lines doing join at their heads, also cropped feet for the guy..... still for a first time it's nicely done.

I like the interaction in the 3rd, might crop a little and a higher shutter speed would have removed the motion blur.

I like them though and look forward to seeing more.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• photogerphotoger Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 27, 2010
    Hi Speedracer,

My 3 year old would love your username!!!

Nice set of images.

#2 - Watch your cropping in the second image, would have been stronger if you stepped back a step and included the guys feet in the shot. Also the girls left hand is distracting because you can only see her hand and a small part of her wrist. Sometimes it is better to have a stray hand hidden rather than partly showing.

#3 - Same as above. Stray fingers on the guys arm. Did the couple do this themselves? or did you ask the guy to pull the rose towards the girl so she can sniff it? I think it looks a little forced to be honest... the key to photographing couples is to get them so relaxed with you that hey do things naturally.

To answer your questions:

1 - Use whatever equipment you are comfortable with. Personally I shot mostly with natural light (especially on an engagement session) because as I mentioned before, it is all about getting the couple comfortable with you and if your rushing around changes light settings etc... they can be left waiting. Reflectors are good but it means you need a good assistant that knows how to use it.

2.Again will depend on what you are comfortable with. Some couples will be totally into each other and you can work the one location longer. I personally find if couples are a little nervous or not naturally relaxed than moving between locations can be good as it gives you more time to talk to them and get them relaxed before the next location.

3 - Will watch out for any more :)

Cheers,
    Andrew
  • speedracer04speedracer04 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Thanks for the comments they really help, the things that I can fix in post I will.

2, Cutting off his foot was not bother me but now it is the more I look at it, I used this one because I liked there faces the most but it should be easy to put in his feet from one of my other photos. I will post an updated one later.

3, It is softer then I wanted but I liked the photo, we needed to change the date based on weather and ended up with no sunrise because of clouds but we missed most of the rain. They did the pose but it was also within the first 5min of shooting so I don't think they were completely comfortable yet.

photoger - That makes since, it would be hard to do that and keep everyone happy/comfortable. For now at least I would never have an assistant so a reflector would not do much good unless I used it with a tripod or something. For the mean time I will just stay with what I have.

One other question that I thought of is how long do you normally take to have all photos uploaded and ready for the couple?

Thanks again
    edited October 31, 2010
    Here are a few more images, over all I think they will be happy with them and for a first time with people I am happy to...I guess, there is a lot that I have learned I know that much
    1071937982_zY84N-L.jpg
    1071946482_5KD5C-L.jpg
    1071947403_XcAzV-L.jpg
    1071921667_HtfnF-L.jpg
    1071927501_tE9q3-L.jpg

Thanks for looking
  • photogerphotoger Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 31, 2010
    Really like #3 in the second lot. Great photo.
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    #1 is my favorite - it's gorgeous.
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    I like #4 in the second set. The pose is nice and the colors are great.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    really great shots! i am in your shoes and would also like to branch out into photography like this. gives me confidence that it can be done!
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    p27rpy wrote: »
    really great shots! i am in your shoes and would also like to branch out into photography like this. gives me confidence that it can be done!

IT CAN BE DONE. lol

Love the first one, and the second one (like everyone else, with feet would make the shot), I also like 3 and 5 in the second set.

You're on your way!
    Jer
  • lzfotolzfoto Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    For first time shooting people instead of cars...I think you did a pretty darn good job. If I were the couple I would be pretty satisfied with them myself. They show emotion between the couple and that's really important.
    edited November 4, 2010
    Thanks for all the comments. I talked with them again and I think they really liked them, knowing them and knowing a good amount of the same people I would find out quick if they don't like them. So that makes me happy and helps to keep me positive about something new.

After reading the comments and spending time editing I learned things to look out for that I should have known but just did not think about at the time. I am hoping that this is good enough to get some more shoots :)
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    If you don't get more shoots from that your marketing isn't doing its job! (the couple)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Jer