Options

New Slideshow Transition Options

mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
edited January 12, 2015 in SmugMug Product News
Who wants more options with the way your photos translate in a slideshow? You? Good! Cause we just added a bunch!

These new transitions are selectable in both the Slideshow content block as well as the background slideshow. Give em a try and let us know what you think!

i-6qzRK9n-X2.png

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2014
    Using page background. Slide mouse down and just hover, no click, and transition changes.
    My 404 page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Using page background. Slide mouse down and just hover, no click, and transition changes.
    My 404 page.

Hi Allen, can you provide a screenshot of what you are describing?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi Allen, can you provide a screenshot of what you are describing?
    Getting all kinds of strange things like with fast show drop disappears real quick just trying to read and
    pick something.

Pausing mouse and drop disappears it fills choice box with what was under mouse. Mostly when slide
    changes. Very erratic. Sometimes transition does change when this happens, maybe 1 out of four.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Getting all kinds of strange things like with fast show drop disappears real quick just trying to read and
    pick something.

Pausing mouse and drop disappears it fills choice box with what was under mouse. Mostly when slide
    changes. Very erratic. Sometimes transition does change when this happens, maybe 1 out of four.

Hey Allen, I am still confused as to what you are describing. Can you include a screen cast video?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2014
    Hey Allen, I am still confused as to what you are describing. Can you include a screen cast video?
    I'll see what I can do.

When the slide changes I lose the drop and whatever is under the pointer appears in the top. But the
    transition does not change to it. Only clicking is to open the drop then just sliding the mouse.

Edit: can't get to it to show. Oops html off for this forum. Will try in video and link back here.
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/3381565200_RG2FXTB?width=640&height=360&albumId=29729711&albumKey=4vLGS2"></iframe&gt;

Edit: See http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1961040#post1961040
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2014
    New Slideshow Transitions / SM Gallery style shortcomings
    I was excited to see this headline, but disappointed to see that they don't apply to the full-screen slideshow that's embedded in the SmugMug style gallery. Any chance that this will be editable any time in the near future?

And while we're at it, is there any chance that the SmugMug gallery style will someday have the option to have one row of thumbnails UNDER the pictures or to change the number of thumbnail rows adjacent to the pictures? Now that would really make my day.

Cheers,

Sara
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2014
    I was excited to see this headline, but disappointed to see that they don't apply to the full-screen slideshow that's embedded in the SmugMug style gallery. Any chance that this will be editable any time in the near future?

+1
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    bstrongbstrong Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2014
    We'll get this added today for you!

• Options
    edited July 16, 2014
    bstrong wrote: »
    We'll get this added today for you!

Oh boy, I can't wait!

Thanks for the quick response,

Sara
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2014
    Oh boy, I can't wait!

Thanks for the quick response,

Sara

Heya Sara! Brian got this added yesterday. Try it out and let us know what you think!
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2014
    Heya Sara! Brian got this added yesterday. Try it out and let us know what you think!

I would love to try it out but I can't figure out how to select the embedded slideshow for customization. Where are the customization options? When have a gallery page open then go to Customize Site/All Galleries and click on the gallery content block wrench then all that comes up is the Gallery Styles register and in the SmugMug gallery the only option is the space between thumbnails (another sore point of mine...).

What am I missing? Are we talking about the same thing?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Sara
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited July 19, 2014
    I would love to try it out but I can't figure out how to select the embedded slideshow for customization. Where are the customization options? When have a gallery page open then go to Customize Site/All Galleries and click on the gallery content block wrench then all that comes up is the Gallery Styles register and in the SmugMug gallery the only option is the space between thumbnails (another sore point of mine...).

What am I missing? Are we talking about the same thing?
    I think the change was related to the slideshow gallery style. If you customize the settings for that style you see the new slideshow options that were previously released for the slideshow content element.

It doesn't appear that the effects of the slideshow button in a gallery is included in this change.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2014
    Actually, Denise, in my original post I stated "I was excited to see this headline, but disappointed to see that they don't apply to the full-screen slideshow that's embedded in the SmugMug style gallery. Any chance that this will be editable any time in the near future?" I think it seems pretty clear here what I'm talking about and that I'm NOT talking about the slideshow gallery.

At any rate, I'd still like to hear if and when we will be able to make changes to the EMBEDDED slideshow in the SMUGMUG STYLE gallery (don't mean to shout, I just want to make myself perfectly clear).

BTW Denise, I always appreciate reading your helpful posts - thanks for taking the time!

Cheers,

Sara
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2014
    Bump...

Any more news on the possibility of editing the embedded slideshow??? This seems like a long overdue toolset.

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2014
    Bump! ne_nau.gif
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

• Options
    edited January 10, 2015
    Discovered how to format embedded slideshow!
    Hello all,

Today I had a very pleasant surprise. I opened a slideshow in a SmugMug style gallery and poof! there were captions. As far as I can remember this was not working before and I don't know when it started to function like this. Here, http://www.sarasphotos.de/PublicGalleries/AlpeAdria-Veneto/i-r5BqWvm click on the slideshow button in any gallery and you will see that captions show up in the lower left corner of every picture. And it was an interesting challenge to set separate title/caption text attributes for the gallery, lightbox and slideshow.

Here's how I (presume I) got it to work:
    • pick any gallery and set it to Slideshow style
    • open Customize
    • change the parameters of the slideshow gallery to your taste (captions, transitions, etc.)
    • save changes and publish
    • reset the gallery to previous style
    In addition I customized the slideshow caption and title text using the following code im my gallery-level custom css.

/*change smgallery slideshow titlecolor */
    .sm-user-ui .sm-slideshow .sm-tile-info .sm-tile-title{
        color: #fff !important;
        font-size: 12px;
        font-weight: 900;
        text-transform: uppercase;
    }
    /*change smgallery slideshow caption color */
    .sm-user-ui .sm-slideshow .sm-tile-info .sm-tile-caption {
        color: #fff !important;
        font-size: 12px;
        font-weight: 900;
    }

Hope this helps someone else.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? Was it mentioned and did I miss it?

Cheers,

Sara
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2015
    Hi Sara,

There was an announcement in December: http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4335532-enable-captions-and-photo-titles-to-be-displayed-i . I followed the link you gave but I don't see any captions displaying while playing the slideshow.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

• Options
    edited January 10, 2015
    Hi Rae,

Ah, I missed it because I only read DGRIN and not the SM feature request page. Since the thread was here, I thought it would be followed up here, nut I guess that was too much to expect!

Interesting that the captions didn't show up for you... what browser/OS are you using? I'm using Windows 8.1 64-bit and tested it in IE11, Firefox and Chrome and they show up in all three browsers. White text on the picture background. Hmmm, looks like I'll have to do some more testing. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Sara
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2015
    Looks like it's browser related. I'm running Windows 7 Premium 64 bit and its in Firefox 34.0.5 that it doesn't show the captions. I retried your gallery with Chrome 39.0.2171.95 and IE 11.0.9600.17501 and they both worked fine. Having said that Firefox is showing the captions on my site. ne_nau.gif
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited January 11, 2015
    Captions appeared in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome for Mac when I tried it out just now. Lookin' good Sara!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2015
    Hmmm, very odd. I'll check it again on my Windows 7 machines at work tomorrow. Meanwhile I checked on my Sony Z3 Android phone and Kindle Fire HD and both work fine.

BTW, I was browsing through your pictures of France ( I do love France!) and noticed another strangeness - while in the slideshow or lightbox, no amout of clicks on the X in the upper corner closed the window. And the pointer did turn into a hand, but it just didn't close. Only pressing esc brought me back to the gallery.

Cheers,

Sara
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2015
    Thanks, Aaron - I'm working on it, but there's still a bunch of little changes to do. I just have to fit it in whenever I have time.

It would be a lot easier if the sm classes were documented - I spent hours with the code inspector yesterday! headscratch.gif

Cheers,

Sara
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited January 11, 2015
    It would be a lot easier if the sm classes were documented - I spent hours with the code inspector yesterday! headscratch.gif

I started to go through the exercise of documenting all the class names but it became very confusing because the documentation needs to maintain the hierarchy of which classes are siblings of other classes. In many instances we use these "parent" and "child" relationships to drill down and write CSS code that only affects one section without affecting the other. For example: we may use ".sm-tile" in many places. It could be part of ".sm-gallery" or it could be part of ".sm-slideshow". If we only wanted to affect the tiles (photos) within galleries we need to know that it's ".sm-gallery .sm-tile".

Being able to use the inspector is a great skill to have and one that I'm sure will get faster as you become more familiar with it! I learned this all by doing the same thing you're doing ... fiddling with my site :)

With that said, the support heroes and I (and many of the other awesome dgrinners here) are more than happy to help out if you ever need any assistance finding class names!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2015
    Hmmm, very odd. I'll check it again on my Windows 7 machines at work tomorrow. Meanwhile I checked on my Sony Z3 Android phone and Kindle Fire HD and both work fine.

BTW, I was browsing through your pictures of France ( I do love France!) and noticed another strangeness - while in the slideshow or lightbox, no amout of clicks on the X in the upper corner closed the window. And the pointer did turn into a hand, but it just didn't close. Only pressing esc brought me back to the gallery.

Cheers,

Sara

Thanks for the heads up on this Sara. I had installed one of Sherlock's tweaks to make the left and right navigational buttons operational over the full height of the photo and not just where the arrows are. Once I removed the tweak clicking on the X now exits both the slideshow and lightbox.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels