Domain Name Questions

BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited July 29, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
So, I've been thinking a little bit about registering a domain name to use for my SmugMug site. However, I know next to nothing about the rationale for selecting one domain over another, or about which provider to use.

Q1: Domain Name

The domain I want (firstlast.com) is already taken -- and not even being used. :cry

I can get firstlast.me, .net, .org, .us, or .biz.

Or I can get firstmlast.com (m=middle initial), .me, etc.

Additionally, I can get firstlastphotography.com.

Are there any advantages to a .com address over the others in terms of search results, general perception, and the like? My feeling is that there is, but I'm not entirely sure.

I am leaning towards buying firstmlast.com and firstlastphotography.com, and using the latter for my SmugMug site. Is there any reason to buy the same phrase with a different domain extension? For example, is there any reason to buy firstlastphotography.com and firstlastphotography.net? I don't want to end up spending $100/year on this, but also don't want to find out later that something I want/need is taken.

Finally, is there any reason to buy a .mobi domain, or does SmugMug's mobile interface work well enough with the generic domain that it is redundant?

Q2: Provider

I don't want to use GoDaddy for my hosting, so I'm on the search for an alternative provider. Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives that are reasonably/competitively priced and user friendly?

So far I've found namecheap.com, which seems reasonable. Any other suggestions (or warnings against NameCheap)?

Q3: Integration

Is there a significant benefit to using Go Daddy for my SmugMug site, or are the benefits smaller things that can be easily replicated with a bit of time? I don't mind putting in a couple extra hours if needed, but I want to avoid being bogged down with back-end stuff as much as possible.

In other words, is Option 2 on this page all I will ever need to do with the domain name? If so, that doesn't sound too bad.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Brendan

Comments

• nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Brendan wrote: »
    I don't want to use GoDaddy for my hosting,
    Brendan

Why not?
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Are there any advantages to a .com address over the others in terms of search results, general perception, and the like? My feeling is that there is, but I'm not entirely sure.

In the overall scheme how many sites do you visit that are not a .com ? There is a huge perception. If someone can only partly remember your website, the .com will be the first search.

Could you have a .net, sure, but if you wish to reach the largest audience, there really isn't much of a choice.
    I am leaning towards buying firstmlast.com and firstlastphotography.com, and using the latter for my SmugMug site. Is there any reason to buy the same phrase with a different domain extension? For example, is there any reason to buy firstlastphotography.com and firstlastphotography.net? I don't want to end up spending $100/year on this, but also don't want to find out later that something I want/need is taken.

I get there is a fascination with using your name for your company or website with photographers but again, in the overall scheme of businesses that you deal with how many are personal names?

I cannot think of one single business that I deal with on any regular basis that is a personal name. If it really is different for you and your clients, go with it.
    Steve

Website
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Q1: I'd use your business name. If you market firstlast but have firstmlast, clients might be confused and it would probably come across as unprofessional. I'd get yourbusinessname.com or .net. I have .net myself, since .com was taken. Just add "Remember, it's dot net" with a smile when telling clients. I've heard that .me, .mobi etc. are pretty much just moneymakers for the domain seller, and I believe it. I see no reason to get .mobi, and .me, while possibly fine for a personal site, sounds unprofessional (to me) for a pro photo site.

Q2: I can't blame you for not wanting to use GoDaddy... I think I might transfer my domain to Google. You can get a domain from Google for $10 per year with the free Google Apps. HOWEVER, after you enter your domain to see if it's taken, it will say "Powered by GoDaddy" towards the bottom of the page. Click Learn More, and choose eNom instead. Now you can get it for $10 a year (GoDaddy is about $8 I think). You can use it with Google Apps; you can even use the domain in your email address (me@example.com) with gmail.

Q3: At first I just got my domain from GoDaddy, not involving Smug at all. So I went through the steps. You follow some steps, and if you're stumped the Smug heroes can help thumb.gif

Edit: here's the link to getting a domain from Google: https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new
  • jwcoffeejwcoffee Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    There is one thing missing from the discussion so far...the value of having your email go to your domain. For example, I am jim@jamescoffeestudios.com. There are two different aspects of the value. 1) It is relevant. People know that I have my own domain...that I am serious about things, etc. and 2) Regardless of my ISP, my email address won't change. I can have this email address past my death.

I am a retired website developer. I used GoDaddy for all my clients. I continue to use it for myself. The reason...in the beginning I suffered through the trauma of failed Registrars. It was tuff regaining control of the domains.

And for my current websites (my own personal stuff) I use SharkSpace as the host, and Joomla as the website platform. SmugMug is (of course) my Image Delivery System.

I believe that .com has the most credibility.

-Jim Coffee-
    Jim Coffee
    Photographer, Panographer
    James Coffee Studios
    Escondido, CA
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    There is heaps of info on the web about effective domain names and other related stuff. Just look it up.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    On Q1 I would see if the owner will sell the Brendancox.com. This is the best choice when you work under your own name and likely costs less than you think - I would offer $100 and take it from there. As it is not being used it is otherwise just costing money to maintain and the days of rising prices for domain names are over.
    If you cannot get it, choose something short and easy to remember.
  • shotworldwideshotworldwide Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 3, 2011
    Hi there, this is my first post here ...

Yes, I would suggest to try to get .com domain name as it has the longest tradition and people connecting it with internet. And the good practice is to have your domain name registered with one company and your websites hosted by other. In the case you will have some problems you can redirect your DNS servers easily.

http://shotworldwide.com
  • rockingcparockingcpa Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    I don't want to use GoDaddy for my hosting, so I'm on the search for an alternative provider. Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives that are reasonably/competitively priced and user friendly?

Brendan

I agree with Jim, above. Why not use Go Daddy?? I just registered 4 domains with Go Daddy. Smugmug and Go Daddy are linked in a way that, when you enter your domain in your control panel at Smugmug, it sends the info to Go Daddy and updates your cname (or whatever it's called). I think if you use another domain registrar you might have to go to your control panel THERE to update it. I'm no expert in this, so I could be wrong about that, but it was incredibly easy to do that with Go Daddy.

I've struggling with what domain I wanted to use, as well. Here's my $.02. I set up my my site as bobdelellisphotography.com, but when I tried to give it to a friend I've know for years, who has no problem with the spelling of my last name, it was so long that he fat-fingered it and couldn't find it. That was 3+8+11 PLUS .com so that means my customers would have to type in 22 letters + .com to find me. WAY too many letters for most people to type correctly on the first try. So, I went with bobbydphotos.com and forwarded all the other domains to that one. It's simple and I'll never have to spell it.

I think the full-name+photography.com sounds more professional but, unless you have a short name that is easy to remember, I'd try to come up with something else. AND, if you have a short easy name, what's the likelihood that domain is still available. I have two friends that just use their last-name+photos.com. It's short, it's simple and easy to remember. Unfortunately, my last name is unique, which is cool, but makes it too easy to misspell. Easy names like Smith and Jones are great because you'll never have to spell them for people, but smith.com I'm sure was taken right after the internet started. Websites are NOT like the movie "Field of Dreams". You build it they will NOT come. You need to make people find you. Making yourself easy to find is one of the ways.

IMO, the shorter and simpler the better.

Bob

EDIT...I just checked and http://bcoxphotos.com/ is NOT taken. Short & easy. I would grab it even if you don't use it as your primary domain name. One of my favorite sites here is richardsilverphoto.com. Cool site, great photos and very easy to remember. Again just my $.02.
    Canon gearhead: Canon 5D Mark II with Canon grip, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 17-40MM f/4.0L USM, Speedlite 580EX II & 430EX II
    bobbydphotos.com by Fastline MediaFacebook
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    rockingcpa wrote: »
    Why not use Go Daddy??

Link

Another Link
  • rockingcparockingcpa Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2011

OK, well I respect your desire not to support a business based on your social ideals. I take the nodaddy.com site about their customer service with a HUGE grain of salt. I had a GREAT customer service experience with GoDaddy yesterday. I spent $9.99 registering another domain and the girl spent probably 45 minutes on the phone helping me register the name, explaining how to change my primary domain name, and point the other domains to the main one, and walking me step-by-step to change the IP addresses on EACH domain. She also showed me how to use existing credits to set up free email AND, she provided an informed opinion about choosing domain names. She was GREAT and they made a whopping $9.99 off me. Between her salary, payroll taxes, worker's comp, and all the other business expenses incurred during that phone call, I don't see how they will make any money off me for the at least the first year on that domain.

If you choose to make your domain registration and hosting decisions based on your social conscience, I understand and respect that. As far as price and customer service are concerned, I've had ZERO issues and appreciate the close integration with my SmugMug account.

ne_nau.gif

BTW...have you noticed the guys running nodaddy.com apparently now have a life and are shutting down the website on 7/08/2011?
    Canon gearhead: Canon 5D Mark II with Canon grip, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 17-40MM f/4.0L USM, Speedlite 580EX II & 430EX II
    bobbydphotos.com by Fastline MediaFacebook
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Thanks to all for your answers. I didn't intend or desire to create a discussion regarding whether or not one should use GoDaddy -- I was simply hoping to get some comments regarding other firms. I'll try to ask about other providers elsewhere, perhaps. Please feel free to let this thread die. Thanks again.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Q2: Provider

So far I've found namecheap.com, which seems reasonable. Any other suggestions (or warnings against NameCheap)?

The one big suggestion I have and this has told me quite a bit about the company is calling on the phone and asking them what their uptime is, and at what point do you get credits? By that I mean what level of maintenance and site offline can you expect? If they are just doing the domain it is a non issue, if you are hosting a website and they say they will provide 99.99% uptime it means that your site could be down up to 52.5 minutes a year without any relief to you on billing. Also if they don't provide a number that they are willing to stand behind or that they have no idea what you are talking about, well I would move on.

Now as to what uptime is needed for you, is only something you can decide. I can tell you that the more 9's you have the more you typically pay. Your level of comfort and needs are individual.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • kathiemtkathiemt Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    Hostgator.com is very good for hosting. I don't know who to suggest for domains as I suspect you're in a different country to me. However hostgator is excellent and their support service very good. I've been with them for a couple of years now.
  • SlowWalkereSlowWalkere Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2011
    kathiemt wrote: »
    Hostgator.com is very good for hosting.

I'll second that. They are the second hosting company I've used in the past four years or so. Split with the first company after a year because I wasn't happy with performance and service, but Hostgator has been great to me.

I use Moniker to register domain names. Over the years, they've handled six or seven domains for me, and I've had zero problems.
    rockingcpa wrote: »
    Websites are NOT like the movie "Field of Dreams". You build it they will NOT come. You need to make people find you. Making yourself easy to find is one of the ways.

IMO, the shorter and simpler the better.

Very true. And another thing to think about how people find you is that they will often just type the name into Google. If they don't remember "firstname-lastname-photography.com," they'll likely type Firstname Lastname Photography into Google. And if they can't find you that way, you've got much bigger problems with your website than your domain name.

For that reason, I'd go with a simpler, shorter domain name and then brand the website with a business name that's more meaningful (like "johndoe.com" and "John Doe Photography" or "John Doe Studios"). And if johndoe.com is taken, don't forget that you can put hyphens in domain names (i.e. john-doe.com). In fact, I like the way that a hyphen makes a longer string of characters simpler to see and understand. It helps prompt the reader to chunk the information into smaller bits, thus improving memory.

Nope. A .net domain is perfectly fine. Again, a lot of people will find you by typing your name into Google, not by typing in the full domain - and Google really doesn't care. What's more important is that you a) build a brand for yourself and b) build an online presence for yourself. Then, people will find your website just fine no matter what top-level domain you use (.com, .net, etc).

Proof? Darren Rowse of ProBlogger built his blog on a .net domain. And he's been very successful at marketing his brand and making a ton of money from online publishing. (The photography crowd here might know him better as the operator of Digital Photography School).

Best of luck,
    - Brian
  • bobpalbobpal Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    I had used 1&1 to host my domain but then switched it to GoDaddy/Smugmug just because it was easy. I agree I would rather not be on GoDaddy. Look into 1&1 as an alternate.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Hi Brendan,

I have been using Namecheap.com for the past four years and they have been just great. I haven't had any problems with them. They are cheap and very good. In fact I have bought three domain names from them and have redirected all three to my smugmug website. I normally use www.nikhilshahi.com as my DN, but I also bought www.thelightexplorer.com (some phrase that is easy to remember) for those times when I have to verbally tell someone about my site name and they won't remember my main domain name.

Just wanted to let you know that namecheap is a good company and their service is excellent.

Also, once your domain name has been out in cyberspace for a while and has been indexed by google, people should be able to find your site by simply typing in your name into google.

Cheers,