Locations for Wildlife Photography

2»

Comments

• daniel212daniel212 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2013
    @Harry
    your collection is amazing i like it you whole collection of bird photos.
    All guys are sharing such a nice photo
    thank you for sharing this such a nice photography
  • desertfischdesertfisch Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2014
    Sierra Vista, Az.
    Going to be In Sierra Vista, Az. toward the end of January. I will have my weekends free, looking to do a little hiking and picture making. I'm thinking Ramsey Canyon and the San Pedro River N.C.A. are my best bets. Does anyone have any suggestions in the area? This will be my first time in the area. Thank you for your attention
    can't sing, can't draw, so here it is.
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2014
    Anyone know of locations in the UK around yorkshire? Cheers

The Farne Islands and Bempton Cliffs on the NE coast of the UK are awesome. Then there's the fish and chips (and mushy peas) in Whitby
  • MoonMan04MoonMan04 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    I've lived in Gainesville for the past 4 years now and I will say there are two great spots for wildlife photography:

1) Paynes Prairie, specifically La Chua Trail
    2) Sweetwater Wetlands Park

Both of these areas are amazing! You're always pretty much guaranteed to walk away satisfied with great photos just about every time, plus, Paynes Prairie has a population of bison and horses that roam freely among the park; if you're lucky you might encounter them.

Kyle C. Moon
    Portfolio: Moonman.Photography

I agree with @Harryb on the St. Augustine Alligator Farm. Not only is it an amazing exhibit with knowledgeable zoo-keepers, it host a myriad of breeding birds. I have quite a few pictures from there myself.

Kyle C. Moon

Hi everyone! I just got back from Banff and Jasper and got some amazing photos of moose, elk, and big horn sheep (moonman.photography), but I will be heading to Yellowstone in the next two weeks. Does anyone have any good locations for this time of the year? I know about the Lamar Valley, but would like to know of some other locations if the valley becomes a dud for me. I'd like to encounter the wolves, but also wouldn't mind running into the bison either. Any tips would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Kyle C. Moon

• StanCunninghamStanCunningham Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    > @MoonMan04 said:
    > Hi everyone! I just got back from Banff and Jasper and got some amazing photos of moose, elk, and big horn sheep (moonman.photography), but I will be heading to Yellowstone in the next two weeks. Does anyone have any good locations for this time of the year? I know about the Lamar Valley, but would like to know of some other locations if the valley becomes a dud for me. I'd like to encounter the wolves, but also wouldn't mind running into the bison either. Any tips would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

> @desertfisch said:
    > Sierra Vista, Az.
    > Going to be In Sierra Vista, Az. toward the end of January. I will have my weekends free, looking to do a little hiking and picture making. I'm thinking Ramsey Canyon and the San Pedro River N.C.A. are my best bets. Does anyone have any suggestions in the area? This will be my first time in the area. Thank you for your attention

I don't know when you posted this, first time on the forum so not as aware.
    I live in Hereford and spend a lot of time photographing birds which the area is famous for. The best times for hummers, migrants, and residents in late April until early June. I've taken a lot of nice images at Ash Canyon bird reserve, and they have a blind. https://sabo.org/ash-canyon-bird-sanctuary/
    Another good area for hummers in Beatty's at the end of Miller Canyon.
    Neither of these areas allow flashes to high speed hummers is out. I do mine on my property and I don't know where else you could do it if you are really into that method.
    Another popular time is August through September for the North to South Migration for both passerines and hummingbirds.
    Book your lodging ahead of time as those times it's tough to find a room, particularly if the lodge is set up for bird watching.
    Stan
    > @desertfisch said:
    > Sierra Vista, Az.
    > Going to be In Sierra Vista, Az. toward the end of January. I will have my weekends free, looking to do a little hiking and picture making. I'm thinking Ramsey Canyon and the San Pedro River N.C.A. are my best bets. Does anyone have any suggestions in the area? This will be my first time in the area. Thank you for your attention

See my comment below, sorry, a newbie
    Grand Tetons' National Park. I've been travelling to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons at least once a year for 15 years.
    My favorite times in Grand Teton are the fall (Late September - mid October) so I can try and catch wildlife in and around colorful Aspen. I also love the Winter (December).
    The iconic landscape areas are plentiful and there is plenty of info online for where, how, and when. But wildlife info is lacking so here's my 2 cents.
    The Grand Tetons is best for moose and elk in that area now that the yellowstone elk herd has declined. For Moose I like to drive along the Gros Ventre River, especially early morning. Try and stay or get to the Gros Ventre Campground before light. There are usually some nice bulls around, especially in the fall. The groups of people will tell you where they are. But you can find anything slowly driving around. I'll drive a circle up the Gros Ventre road, around or through the Mormon Row (watch for coyotes and fox) then down the Antelope flats Road back the highway. Anything could be along that loop, including Grizzlies. I then head over the Moose Wilson road watching for anything. In the fall there are many black bears in that area, and in the winter the creek is a good place to look for river otters. I have had good luck with Bison in the northern end of the park, but not with much else. I do that southern loop over and over. If you are going in the winter for moose early December is the end, the bulls drop their antlers as early as the 10th so keep that in mind.
    The elk refuge in Jackson is good in the winter for elk, bison, possibly a wolf, and there is a great area for bighorn with ram butting possible. That area is a spur off the main road so ask around when you are there because I would have to write a novel to explain how to get there. But don't miss it.
    A lot of people just drive the roads for Grizzlies, and they do find them. There is a facebook group that tells info but I forgot the name. Personally, the bear jams are just too large for me and I'm scared we are going to lose some of our abilities as it's dangerous for bears and people. I stay away from them but I have 100's of bear images from AK.
    Jackson Hole is spendy, so I usually camp in the fall and then stay at the Flat Creek Inn in the winter. It's only around $100 and it's really not bad. It's also right at the north end of town so it's a quick drive to the park. They have specials in the winter and I've stayed as long as 10 days.
    It's very very cold in that area so dress warmly and plan on deep snow. Plenty of extra batteries help. I drive a diesel truck so I have to plug in my block heater every night, the flat creek inn has an outlet in front of every room.
    Please go if you can, you won't be disappointed, not with that view.
    Stan