iMac 2nd monitor: Diminished Image Quality

jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
edited June 24, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I recently bought a 27" iMac Core i7. Since I use it only for PS and Lightroom I liked the power compared to the Mac Pro given the price differential. While I am looking to eventually get a NEC monitor as the primary monitor, using the Mini Display port and an adapter I hooked up my ol' Dell 2405FPW (October 2005). What I have noticed is that when I do a 1:1 zoom on an image in Lightroom, on the Dell it looks more 'jaggy' or pixelated than the image on the actual iMac.

What is interesting is that monitor has been hooked up to my MacBook Pro 15" (2nd generation Intel) for over 2 years, with nowhere near that diminished image quality when zooming in - on the same images. Yes the iMac is 2560x1440 vs the Dell's 1920x1200, the Dell is matte screen vs glossy iMac. But this seems really odd - and concerns me since it would be pointless to pony up serious jack for a NEC or LaCie.

There are no 'driver' updates per Apple & Dell + forums, and most searches on this and other sites are geared to calibration issues, or IPS vs. TN panels. It seems that the adapter shouldn't be an issue, but...? I did see a comment on a Dell Support forum that the DVI cable that comes with the monitor is a Dual Link cable and connector but the middle 6 pins are disabled, making it effectively a single-link. Shouldn't make any difference though given it is only 1920x1200.

I'll post an image of the panels side-by-side when I get a chance, but I was hoping someone else had seen this and had an idea of a resolution to my problem (pun intended). :rolleyes
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
-Fleetwood Mac

Comments

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    What cabling were you using to connect the MacBook Pro to the monitor. My first instinct based on what you have said is that there could be a dodgy cable involved.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    What cabling were you using to connect the MacBook Pro to the monitor. My first instinct based on what you have said is that there could be a dodgy cable involved.

The DVI-I cable that has been on the Dell has had no issues when connected to the MacBook. Going to the iMac I use a new Apple DVI-mini DVI adapter connected ot the same DVI cable. It even looks OK when I am in 'Fit' or 'Fill' and the images - only when I zoom in to 1:1 where it used to be sharper is it an issue.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    I spent a few hours with Apple support, and their reply was that if I want a second screen with no quality loss, I should get me a Pro and install a video card supporting multiple outputs.

It is far from being a good reply.. Especially from a company that just got 2k+ from me, but their corporate told me the "it is what it is".. Which lead me to use my second screen as the chat/video/accessory screen. :(
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    is it possible that the monitor itself has some weird settings that are different from standard? can you reset the monitor? I have the previous series 24" iMac, and am not experiencing the issue you are seeing.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    jdryan3 wrote: »
    I recently bought a 27" iMac Core i7. Since I use it only for PS and Lightroom I liked the power compared to the Mac Pro given the price differential. While I am looking to eventually get a NEC monitor as the primary monitor, using the Mini Display port and an adapter I hooked up my ol' Dell 2405FPW (October 2005). What I have noticed is that when I do a 1:1 zoom on an image in Lightroom, on the Dell it looks more 'jaggy' or pixelated than the image on the actual iMac.

What is interesting is that monitor has been hooked up to my MacBook Pro 15" (2nd generation Intel) for over 2 years, with nowhere near that diminished image quality when zooming in - on the same images. Yes the iMac is 2560x1440 vs the Dell's 1920x1200, the Dell is matte screen vs glossy iMac. But this seems really odd - and concerns me since it would be pointless to pony up serious jack for a NEC or LaCie.

There are no 'driver' updates per Apple & Dell + forums, and most searches on this and other sites are geared to calibration issues, or IPS vs. TN panels. It seems that the adapter shouldn't be an issue, but...? I did see a comment on a Dell Support forum that the DVI cable that comes with the monitor is a Dual Link cable and connector but the middle 6 pins are disabled, making it effectively a single-link. Shouldn't make any difference though given it is only 1920x1200.

I'll post an image of the panels side-by-side when I get a chance, but I was hoping someone else had seen this and had an idea of a resolution to my problem (pun intended). rolleyes1.gif

Based on the info given, My first thoughts turn toward a graphics card issue. Have you tried adjusting the graphics card in your new machine?
    tom wise
    edited June 22, 2010
    ^^
    how would you propose he does that?
    it is an iMac. all-in-one machine..
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Foques wrote: »
    ^^
    how would you propose he does that?
    it is an iMac. all-in-one machine..

Never seen and iMac, but pretty much any computer will allow you to go into the Graphics card software and make adjustments. Sometimes you have to download additional software from the Card maker to allow you more adjust-ability.
    tom wise
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Foques wrote: »
    I spent a few hours with Apple support, and their reply was that if I want a second screen with no quality loss, I should get me a Pro and install a video card supporting multiple outputs.

It is far from being a good reply.. Especially from a company that just got 2k+ from me, but their corporate told me the "it is what it is".. Which lead me to use my second screen as the chat/video/accessory screen. :(

Could be the video card settings, but I explicitly brought this issue up at the Apple Store before buying it. They knew I wanted to use the mini-dvi to eventually run a NEC monitor as the primary. What I need to do is actually get my hands on that monitor and see what happens. As nice is as the 2405 has been, it is a little long in the tooth and it may the issue.

Not to poo-poo the whole thing but I ws sort of hedged my bets anyway, knowing if the iMac didn't work then the Pro would be the next step. My 10 year old hopes this is the case - he would get the iMac.

UPDATE:
    I was going to stop by the Apple store today and ask someone about this specific issue. The it dawned on me today is "iPhone 4 Thursday". I think I will stay very very far away from there today rolleyes1.gif
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited June 24, 2010
    I know, it could be a video card settings.. in theory. But i'd expect that you will see some issues with the main screen as well.

I changed my cables last night.. Used the monster DVI cable.. I had my friend's sony screen - it worked just perfect.. I connect my old screen - same issue..
    :\
    My Site
    My Facebook