Old Nikon Lenses, New Nikon Camera

longbow65longbow65 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited February 1, 2009 in Cameras
First Post!! :clap

I have some older lenses I got back in 1999 for a F90X SLR. I am looking to get a Nikon DSLR of some type, D90 perhaps. Will the lenses I had from before fit the newer camera?

Thanks and look forward to spending some time learning to take great photos from this site.

LB65

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited January 31, 2009
    longbow65 wrote:
    First Post!! clap.gif

I have some older lenses I got back in 1999 for a F90X SLR. I am looking to get a Nikon DSLR of some type, D90 perhaps. Will the lenses I had from before fit the newer camera?

Thanks and look forward to spending some time learning to take great photos from this site.

LB65

LB65, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I believe you will find that most older Nikkor and Nikon "F" mount lenses will mount safely on new digital bodies. The exceptions are the non-AI lenses which you would want to convert first as they can actually do damage.

I think that the D300 is the lowest denominator body that will also meter correctly with old manual focus lenses.

A nice compatibility chart is here:

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    longbow65 wrote:
    First Post!! clap.gif

Which lenses? How old? If they're AF lenses then yes, they'll work fine on a new body. Many MF lenses will meter on the better bodies too. But as ziggy said, you'll need to be careful with some older MF lenses--you could actually damage (short-circuit) a modern body. Best to make sure which lenses you have.
    Tim
  • longbow65longbow65 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2009
    Which lenses? How old? If they're AF lenses then yes, they'll work fine on a new body. Many MF lenses will meter on the better bodies too. But as ziggy said, you'll need to be careful with some older MF lenses--you could actually damage (short-circuit) a modern body. Best to make sure which lenses you have.

IIRC, they are all AF lenses. I'll have to dig them out and look to make sure. Thanks for the heads up.

Now that I think of it, I have a Nikon flash as well. Would that work on the more modern Nikon?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited February 1, 2009
    longbow65 wrote:

Now that I think of it, I have a Nikon flash as well. Would that work on the more modern Nikon?

The main thing to watch about older flashes is trigger voltage. Some older flashes use a very large trigger voltage and can damage digital cameras.

Other than that it's a matter of compatibilty. If you have the model number we could tell you more about the flash and possible ramifications using it on a modern digital body.

To check the trigger voltage, check this site for more information:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums