How to preserve order after upload?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited November 12, 2006 in SmugMug Support
How do I upload a gallery in a specific order?

I have photos ordered in Adobe Bridge (sorted first by star rating, then by time taken) and I'd like to upload them to a gallery and preserve the order after upload so that the highest rated photos are first in the gallery.

I know I could manually order them after upload, but I have 16 galleries to upload this way and all are already ordered in Bridge so I'd like to save myself some time and find a way to preserve this order.

I normally use StarExplorer for my uploads so I can upload multiple galleries in one upload session.

Any ideas?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Anyone?
    Any ideas here? If I have photos sorted by rating before I upload, how do I upload them so they show in the gallery in that order?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Any ideas here? If I have photos sorted by rating before I upload, how do I upload them so they show in the gallery in that order?
    Other then adding the rating to the front of the file name can't think
    of any others. Sort options are by dates, file name and captions. If
    you don't have captions add the ratings there before upload and then
    sort after upload. Once sorted you can bulk delete the captions.
    Any help?
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Use Bridge to assign sequence numbers as a prefix on the filename via Batch Rename. Then sort by filename.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Al's and David's suggestions are what I'd suggest.
    edited November 8, 2006
    Thanks
    DavidTO wrote:
    Use Bridge to assign sequence numbers as a prefix on the filename via Batch Rename. Then sort by filename.

That's a good back-stop suggestion. I did an experiment and they do show up in the gallery in the order they are uploaded from S*E, so if I manually drag them into StarExplorer in the order I want them to appear in the gallery, that works. But, if I drag 50 files at once from Bridge to StarExplorer, they end up sorted by filename, not by the order they were in Bridge (I don't know if it's Bridge changing the order in the drag/drop info it gives S*E or whether it's S*E doing it).

I'm off to correspond with Nikolai on S*E to see if I can get it to preserve the order from Bridge when I drag/drop into S*E.

I have about 50 images each for 15 galleries (all already sorted in Bridge) so I'm just trying to save myself some manual work here.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 8, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    But, if I drag 50 files at once from Bridge to StarExplorer, they end up sorted by filename, not by the order they were in Bridge (I don't know if it's Bridge changing the order in the drag/drop info it gives S*E or whether it's S*E doing it).

This doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm not understanding. If you change the filename by adding a sequential prefix, the sort order in bridge and the sort order of the filename should be the same. Then smugmug will sort by that filename in the order that you want it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 8, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    This doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm not understanding. If you change the filename by adding a sequential prefix, the sort order in bridge and the sort order of the filename should be the same. Then smugmug will sort by that filename in the order that you want it.

I think you misunderstood me (or I wasn't very clear). I haven't tried the renaming thing yet. It should work.

My comment was about an experiment I did without renaming before I saw your comment.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 8, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I think you misunderstood me (or I wasn't very clear). I haven't tried the renaming thing yet. It should work.

My comment was about an experiment I did without renaming before I saw your comment.

Got it. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 8, 2006
    Feature getting added to Star Explorer
    Just to close off this thread. Nikolai is going to add this feature to Star Explorer so it will preserve the sort order from Bridge. See this posting for his summary. For now, the work-around is to rename in Bridge before dropping into Star Explorer.

Thanks for the help.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 12, 2006
    Java Uploader preserves Bridge sort order
    jfriend wrote:
    How do I upload a gallery in a specific order?

I have photos ordered in Adobe Bridge (sorted first by star rating, then by time taken) and I'd like to upload them to a gallery and preserve the order after upload so that the highest rated photos are first in the gallery.

I know I could manually order them after upload, but I have 16 galleries to upload this way and all are already ordered in Bridge so I'd like to save myself some time and find a way to preserve this order.

I normally use StarExplorer for my uploads so I can upload multiple galleries in one upload session.

Any ideas?

I discovered (by accident) today that the Java Uploader preserves the upload order from Bridge. Just sort how you want them in Bridge. Then drag/drop into the Java Uploader and it will upload them in the exact order they were in Bridge. This is useful for uploading in some special sort order like by sorted by rating.
    --John
    HomepagePopular