Options

Puffin

CragdooCragdoo Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited April 7, 2014 in Wildlife
Took these picture last year at the May Island just of the coast of Fife, Scotland. Thought they would be a good set to introduce myself. Would love any constructive feedback how to improve these pictures.

Puffin

May_Island_030813_12-L.jpg

May_Island_030813_10-L.jpg

May_Island_030813_14-L.jpg

May_Island_030813_25-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2014
    Some great shots. Thanks for sharing. INHO On photo 2 your depth of field is a little shallow and you get a little blurring on some of the birds. On shot 3 I would like to see a little more of the rock in the front of the birds cropped out and maybe some additional sky to keep the sizing right. Those are C&C just because you asked but I think they are great shots as is.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2014
    Always a pleasure to have such subject matter ... I've never seen one.

re comments

1. I think the bird is too central in frame and that the dark mass (cliff?) is too distracting. I'd suggest cropping the LHS to just behind the bird's tail (in line with the RHS of the foreground 'rock') and cropping the bottom third (say) of grass off.

2. Think it's very unlikely you'd have been able to get all the birds sharp - whatever setting you had available, because the distances between them look too big. Main issue is that it's the closer birds that're oof, unfortunately. Only suggestion would be to get rid of the headless bird (crop + clone?) and see what the pic looks like?

3. Quite like this'un ... but I'd try cropping the blurred fg rock out completely + doing something about the LHS of the pic .. either cloning out the rock, or - easier (and better, imo) - cropping just behind the head of the bird there. I'd not worry about the 'shape' of the pic, as long as there's a need / use for such things as facebook / website 'banner' pics ...

4. On my (uncalibrated), 8yr old LTop screen, looks like areas are close to being blown ... have you tried recovering any detail there?

All imo, of course ... like 3 the best, btw :)

pp

Btw - all 'cropping' suggestions have only been arrived at by reducing the browser window size and moving the pic around to get some idea ...
  • Options
    CragdooCragdoo Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 7, 2014
    Thanks for the advise, much appreciated. I'll have a tinker and post the results when I can

#1 I quite like the bokeh in the background, so would like to retain some of it

#2 Never noticed the headless bird ..lol, but I like the out of focus foreground. I agree the headless bird needs to go.

#3 Is the foreground too distracting?

#4 I'll see what I can do, my photoshop skills are basic at best :(

thanks again for the critique
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2014
    Cragdoo wrote: »

#3 Is the foreground too distracting?

I think it'd be worth having a play ... even if you only cropped off the light coloured strip(e) along the bottom of the frame.

Cragdoo wrote: »

#1 I quite like the bokeh in the background, so would like to retain some of it

No problem - although I'm tempted to ask what it is you like about it and whether it's associated with remembering your emotional experience of being there and taking the shot ... or the way that it (presumably) enhances the visual appearance of the image - thro your eyes?

All I'll say is that I've taken many, many pics that I've hoped would capture the essence of what's happening in front of me at the time the shutter is pressed ... but the resulting image(s) rarely portray what I'm after ...

pp
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2014
    Remember in the end these are your pictures and your vision. If you like them that's all that matters.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2014
    The last one......iloveyou.gif