New Radio Poppers vs New Pocket Wizard

firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited March 14, 2009 in Accessories
I really want the new pocket wizards but I can't find any for sale since they are so new. Ideally I'd want them by the 21st of this month but I realize that is probably not going to happen.

I was also looking at the Radio Poppers, however I really like how the pocket wizard fits on the hot shoe and the flash on top of that. The Radio Poppers velcro technique is probably going to get in the way of my GF Lightsphere.

Am I understanding correctly that the other difference is the radio poppers will work with other off camera flashes such as...alien bees where as the pocket wizard...i'm locked into something that has to slide into my hot shoe?

Price isn't an issue the main issue for me, but cheaper would be ok with me.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Kevin

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 8, 2009
    How would you use the system? (What application(s)?)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Check out today's blog on the Radio Popper site. They're changing how they mount. No more velcro. thumb.gif
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Check out today's blog on the Radio Popper site. They're changing how they mount. No more velcro. thumb.gif

whoa ! thanks for the tip.
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    How would you use the system? (What application(s)?)

wedding receptions....and then general off camera flash for portraits.

-Kevin
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

Finally.....

The DIY solutions for these are what has made me wait.....

...and to answer another question....

- The new pocket wizards have a pc connection that will allow the use of non dedicated flash units as well as studio strobes. The killer for me on the PW system is that the Flash Exposure Compensation currently can only be dialed down +- two stops......rather than 3 that are available if using a 580 for a master. In addition to that, the reported radio interference that is experienced with the 580EXII flash drops the max distance to around 30feet. That is horrible. The fix...of course is to add a $60 canon off camera shoe cord between the tranciever and flash. That ups the $$$ quite a bit.

They are indeed reprting that RP's can be used with alien beez...Im not sure how the connectivety works out. Also....it is said that High speed sych can be had with studio strobes and RP's.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 9, 2009
    wedding receptions....and then general off camera flash for portraits.

-Kevin

I use inexpensive radio slaves similar to the Cactus units, and I also use optical slaves. The optical slaves work fine for most controlled circumstances when I don't have conflicts from other folk's flashes. The radio slaves work fine for wedding stuff, except the distance is somewhat limited.

For more reliable distance slaving it's hard to beat the reliability of the original Pocket Wizard units.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    Just read and independent study that said the poppers were good up to 680 ft ttl and an 100' if in manual. I've got the new set and had not a chance to really play with them but they are great in direct sunlight from what I practiced.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    Just read and independent study that said the poppers were good up to 680 ft ttl and an 100' if in manual. I've got the new set and had not a chance to really play with them but they are great in direct sunlight from what I practiced.
    Do you have a link?

There's something strange about those numbers. I would expect a higher fidelity requirement for the TTL than manual flash - thus I would expect to see the TTL distance less than the manual. headscratch.gif - Looking forward to that reference link. TIA
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Finally.....

The DIY solutions for these are what has made me wait.....

...and to answer another question....

- The new pocket wizards have a pc connection that will allow the use of non dedicated flash units as well as studio strobes. The killer for me on the PW system is that the Flash Exposure Compensation currently can only be dialed down +- two stops......rather than 3 that are available if using a 580 for a master. In addition to that, the reported radio interference that is experienced with the 580EXII flash drops the max distance to around 30feet. That is horrible. The fix...of course is to add a $60 canon off camera shoe cord between the tranciever and flash. That ups the $$$ quite a bit.

They are indeed reprting that RP's can be used with alien beez...Im not sure how the connectivety works out. Also....it is said that High speed sych can be had with studio strobes and RP's.

Where did you see the bit about the distance? Their site has it listed at 1000' on manual and 800' with TTL. Of course that's in perfect conditions with no interference, but 30'?
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
    edited March 12, 2009
    jlw wrote:
    I remember reading that too; it was in the extensive writeup on Rob Galbraith's blog. He said it's not anything to do with the PW units, but with the fact that the original 430EX flash unit spews heavy RF interference on the frequencies used by the PWs. Since the radio frequencies available for remote control devices are limited (different ones in different countries) it's likely that other FCC-approved units that use the same band would have the same type of problem.

Yup....

...and there is reference to the issue in the PW user manual.
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    jlw wrote:
    I remember reading that too; it was in the extensive writeup on Rob Galbraith's blog. He said it's not anything to do with the PW units, but with the fact that the original 430EX flash unit spews heavy RF interference on the frequencies used by the PWs. Since the radio frequencies available for remote control devices are limited (different ones in different countries) it's likely that other FCC-approved units that use the same band would have the same type of problem.

580EX II too? I thought I read some where that the other Canon flashes weren't as bad as the 430. Strobist maybe?

I use a PW PII attached to a 580EX II's flash head via ball bungee and the only problems I have with it firing involve the PC cable being a POS.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
    edited March 14, 2009
    580EX II too? I thought I read some where that the other Canon flashes weren't as bad as the 430. Strobist maybe?

I use a PW PII attached to a 580EX II's flash head via ball bungee and the only problems I have with it firing involve the PC cable being a POS.

Its not an issue with the old PW models...just the new stuff. Best reprted range is with 430EXII.