Muench Workshops -- African Adventure, October 2011

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Oh, #8 just signed up for the trip, for real, there are only 2 spots left. I know the trip is 11 months away, but we're nearly filled. Just FYI.

Tap tap tap. Is this trip for you?
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    hi everyone and happy new year!! i can't wait, and i only just got back!!! kenya is FABULOUS!!! wings.gifbarbwings.gif i'm still there emotionally, and i caught myself mentally packing yesterday,and had to resist the urge to go and start putting things aside ... oh boy, it's going to be a long 8 months and 20 days!!

ok, a question, seeing as comments are starting on equipment. i have a 5dmk2 with 70-200 and 300 plus 1.4 teleconverter. 7d is in the mail :-))) arriving tomorrow to replace the 40d that i took on this last trip.

many images are poorly focused, having used bean bag (home made as the molar bean bag that would require 8lbs of rice/beans did not show up till after my departure). bean bag was light - filled with buckwheat husks, but normal size. i was unsure as to whether image stabiliser should be on or off when using a bean bag. it seemed pretty stable, but not perfect? i kept the aperture around 9-11 to aim for the sweet spot, and even images of a g@# d#$$ tree were blurry!! yes, people sometimes wiggled around as they lined up their shots, but there seems to be have been a consistent (on an erratic basis) problem. one difficulty was that there wasn't enough time to view photos, detect problems, and problem solve, and i am aware of that...

so question, should the image stabiliser be on or off with a bean bag? is there any point in keeping the better bean bag to fill up with lentils/rice/whatever on the way to play with the animals? anything else anyone can think of that i did wrong? i did even use the cable release sometimes, but not the mirror lockup as i really did want to look through the view finder to see the animal behaviour (less important for the tree, of course!)

so, thoughts would be much appreciated.
    looking forward to meeting you/seeing you all again. YAYYY!
    cheers, sarah
    ps. c'mon charlie - if you need a kick start, africa will certainly fire the adrenaline!!!!!!:ivar
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • hanalwalahanalwala Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    [imgl]http://img.skitch.com/20100614-cidptudub9tmqjppebwaug9jmr.jpg[/imgl]
    Muench Workshops -- African Adventure
    October 1-13, 2011

Beneath the shadow of Kilimanjaro lies a vast universe of life and death. This unique struggle for survival is known to all, but few see it for themselves. Get up close and personal with creatures great and small.

If you've got Africa on your Bucket List, here's your chance to do it "Muench Workshops" style, with Marc Muench and Andy Williams. We're taking 10 photographers on their trip of a liifetime. We only have 4 spots left, so we hope you can join us!

Next time you guys plan a trip do let us know..... I would be interested in joining..
    Canon Digital EOS 60D D-SLR
    Canon Lens 55-250mm
    Canon Lens 18-55mm
    Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX Macro
    Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Wide angle
    edited January 11, 2011
    PHOTOempt wrote: »
    i kept the aperture around 9-11 to aim for the sweet spot, and even images of a g@# d#$$ tree were blurry!!

What were your shutter speeds, Sarah? Show a couple links to pics. I'll help.
    edited January 11, 2011
    What were your shutter speeds, Sarah? Show a couple links to pics. I'll help.
    hi andy - thanks very much for your noble offer!!

here are some images, retrieved from the garbage!
    this image was one of a series that i took to do a massive pano -used the tripod, first with is on (my mistake -realised and reshot, in a bit of a hurry because we weren't supposed to be outside the jeep, so i skipped mirror lockup and cable release. i manually focused each image to be sure, as the angle of the camera, to animals was changing as i panned round:1/250sec, aperture 9.0, iso 640, 300mm plus 1.4 tc. Crikey!!!! and they're all like that, with and without the IS, and no, i had not been drinking!!
    1153824531_LK2E8-X3.jpg

so after the pano debacle, this is 1/400 sec f/10 iso 640, 300mm plus 1.4 tc. i must have shot about 100 images - all same quality. the flamingoes were moving but i would have thought that 1/400 would have quelled them into submission,
    1153825225_Sgdbe-X3.jpg

same for the next image which is 1/400 sec, f/8, iso dropped to 400 in the hopes of less noise as it was getting lighter with sunrise
    1153825929_CTpRo-X3.jpg

just to prove that i can manage something in focus, here is a heffalump:
    1153857301_rNrXh-X3.jpg

i did shoot throughout on a1 focus in the hope that if something stationary started to move, it would track, and what i discovered on setting up some testing this afternoon was that the IS was set to 2, which it was noted to be on first day in africa (after shooting of course!) i am beginning to wonder if the fairly random disasters were because sometimes the switch would get moved on packing/unpacking. i must confess that i did not check it every time.

it would seem from playtime at home here, that the IS is not required for bean bag use as long as it is stable, but AI focus is still better than "one shot". i was indoors and need to do some serious stuff outdoors. i had done this before i went, but obviously another round is required

anyway, i would really appreciate your thoughts, and everyone will benefit from the do's and don't's of nailing these shots on the first trip!! i dread to think how i'll get anything in focus from the plane......
    many thanks, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    The elephant is the same lens as the other images?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 11, 2011
    The elephant is the same lens as the other images?

hi david,
    yes, it was.: 300 plus 1.4. 1/320 sec, f10, iso 640. sorry , should have given that info. there are plenty of images that are well focused with just the 300 or the 300/1.4 combo, and plenty that were a disaster. one thing that i did notice is that the 5d mark 2 is hard to focus on AF, unless the centre point is used, which is hard when trying to compose a decent image as well as grab the shot. i quite often tried to use a peripheral point, and when it refused to focus, switched to centre point, and 'targeted it'. i don't think that that was an issue in the images that i've shown though!
    thanks for looking, and all the best,
    sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    Hi Sarah

The 7d has a MUCH better auto focus! Though, it looks to me like those Flamingos are in focus? just a shallow depth of field is knocking out the back ground and foreground.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    On the first three your aperture settings were between f8 and f10. The aperture really needed to be stepped down to get the kind of image you were going for.

I usually keep the IS turned off unless my shutter speed goes lower than I can safely handhold.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited January 11, 2011
    Hi Sarah

The 7d has a MUCH better auto focus! Though, it looks to me like those Flamingos are in focus? just a shallow depth of field is knocking out the back ground and foreground.

hi marc - thanks for looking. yes, i figured that that was a good excuse to be getting the 7d :D. i noticed as i attached the photos that the flamingoes look better on the posting than they do when i check here at 100%. they're pretty soft, and i don;t think they're acceptable. i had quite a good hunt to find anything tack sharp, and i figure if i have to hunt for the focal point, i don't think i can flag it as a 'pick' ! thanks for the encouragement though!
    ciao, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    The other consideration is the aperture! When using the Canon 70-200 there is a very noticeable diff in sharpness between F 5.6 and F8. It is possible that the sweet spot/aperture might change with the 1.4 attached? Have not tested that.......
    edited January 11, 2011
    PHOTOempt wrote: »
    1153824531_LK2E8-Th.jpg

This image I suspect mis-focusing, or shake of the camera. Or your TC is just really bad :( TC will introduce softness anyhow, though nothing like this shot. The flamingos (in particular the 2nd flamingo shot) are sharp- you have focused on the near flamingos and the rest is just natural out of focus due to the DOF.
    edited January 11, 2011
    era. Or your TC is just really bad :(

This why I was asking about the lens. The bokeh on those first shots just looks weird, like the lens or the TC are bad. I had a problem with my 70-200 that Canon fixed, and it looked a lot like that.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 12, 2011
    hi guys - thank you all for comments and thoughts. i wondered if the teleconverter is junk, but i do have some sharp shots that suggest not. one thing is that the connection is not great and i have to check that it clicks in to lock. a couple of days after the dreadful "pano every shot out of focus" , i 'noticed' this problem demonstrated by the 300 falling off the teleconverter as i focused - the whole lens turned on the teleconverter, and then separated!! a heart-stopping moment - fortunately onto very soft ground, but maybe the connection for those shots wasn't locked.

re sweet spot and teleconverter, yes marc, i think that that is a fair comment, and i need to go back do some more in depth testing, and also look at iso's and noise levels, so that once i can see just what is my aperture of choice, whether i can get it handheld with a high iso, and image stabiliser if required, or whether i need to rest on bean bag, in which case my suspicion is that image stabilisation is not required, judging by your comments. sounds like the bean bag i've got is perfectly fine, and the rest of the system needs more analysis.

also sounds like i'd be better off using the 7d with 300 (plus or hopefully minus the tc) for most of the 'grab the animal' shots. ie using the crop factor effect rather than the teleconverter, when distance allows, and put the 70-200 on the 5dmk2 for wider shots. that will give me faster focusing, less need for the teleconverter and still a good number of megapixels to compensate for any cropping loss. i didn't have that luxury with the 40d, so kept the 5d mark2 as the main wildlife camera. nice to be getting the set up organised 8 months and 18 days before we go!!! (not counting or anything!)
    thanks for all your helpful comments,
    sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    edited January 17, 2011
    There are still a couple of spots available for this trip. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 20, 2011
    Down to one spot remaining. clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 20, 2011
    Down to one spot remaining. clap.gif

Wow. Wonder who #10 will be?
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    << sounds like i'd be better off using the 7d with 300 (plus or hopefully minus the tc) >>

By my reckoning, comparing ...

5Dm2 + 300mm +1.4x
    7D + 300mm

You'll get nearly 12% more pixels (by area) on the subject with the 7D / 300mm combo.

Fwiw (prob not much, as am not a pro), when using a bean bag with my rig (1Dm3/500F4) I use IS mode 2 - on the times I've not checked and it's been on mode 1, I've not noticed much difference - but have when it's been off ... prob 'cos everything's always blurred whatever I do :)

Happened upon this thread as I worked in E and W Africa in the 70's.

Have fun :)

pp
    edited January 26, 2011
    Wow. Wonder who #10 will be?

#10 just signed up clap.gif He saw Marc on yesterday on Fine Art Photography Weekly and heard there was one spot left. He's from Norway and shoots Phase1 and Canon. Can't wait to meet him!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    #10 just signed up clap.gif He saw Marc on yesterday on Fine Art Photography Weekly and heard there was one spot left. He's from Norway and shoots Phase1 and Canon. Can't wait to meet him!

Fantastic that it worked out like that!
    edited January 30, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    figure out what form of camera support to get for the trip (besides bean bags),

Check out the Todd-Pod here http://www.gustafsonphotosafari.net/?page_id=43 and on his video page you can see it in action. Looks very interesting. I'm checking with our guides to see if that'll work with our vehicles (see no reason why not)... love the idea of being able to use the Wimberley, eh?
    edited January 30, 2011
    Right now I'm a little torn. At first I was expecting a good zoom 200-400 would be ample. And it may still be. But the photos here
    http://africaddict.smugmug.com/Nature/KenyaTanzania/14274166_i4Wij#1058661764_4xv9R
    are mostly all with a Nikko 500mm f/4 Shooting wildlife, my experience, and the general consensus seems to be, "you can never have enough reach" - so, options:

1- Rent a Nikon D3S (or D3X) and 200-400 VR and use a 1.4x when needed (Harry says this combination is awesome and there is little degradation with the 1.4 on the 200-400 VR)

2- Shoot with my Canon system and bring along a 500 f/4L.

The Canon 500 is only 1lb more in weight than the Nikon 200-400, so weight is not so much an issue. I suppose the tradeoff is the flexibility the zoom will give if we are too-close to our wild subjects lol3.gif I suppose that a Canon 100-300 (the new one) on a 2nd body will solve this problem.

Decisions decisions.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 30, 2011
    How realistic is it that you're going to want to be messing with a TC in the bush, Andy? Think major dust, not to mention missing the decisive moment while you're fussing with it. I think the new 100-300 and 500 lenses on two separate bodies is a brilliant idea. Just point and shoot, no-brainer.
    edited January 30, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    How realistic is it that you're going to want to be messing with a TC in the bush, Andy? Think major dust, not to mention missing the decisive moment while you're fussing with it.

Yeah, I think it'd either be ON or OFF the lens, for a long while - not messing around with changing things in the safari vehicles.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 30, 2011
    Sarah, in your first image, the trees in the very foreground of the image are the sharpest.

Were you focusing with a single, chosen by you, AF point? If you were, why did you focus on the flamingo and trees in the foreground? You said you did focus manually. Focusing manually with the ground glass in a 5DMk2, I suspect ,is challenging. It certainly is for me.

Or did you allow the camera to choose your AF point or points? Have you micro adjusted the focus of your lens to your camera? That can make a real difference too.

Marc is correct that the AF system in the 7D allows much better and faster autofocus with more shooter control as well. I really learned to appreciate the 7D shooting wildlife from a pitching boat in Alaska.

I doubt one can focus more accurately manually, than with autofocus, unless you are using Live View with magnification too. It will be very hard to do that in sunlight inside a Jeep with passengers moving around.

Were you using a 300mm f2.8 IS L from Canon, or a 300mm f4 IS L? The difficulty with AF with the 5DMKii could be explained by a 300 f4 + 1.4 TC which brings you down to an actual f5.6 maximum aperture, where the center AF point is more sensitive.
    The 300 f2.8 + TC should not have this difficulty with a real effective aperture of f4.

For wildlife, a 7D or 1DMK4 is going to be hard to beat in Canon land. Harry will lord it over us all with his black lenses in the African heat.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited January 30, 2011
    The MTF curves that 70-300 L are really very impressive Andy. I did not really look at that lens previously, because most 70-300 lenses are not that good at the long end. But it looks quite impressive.

I have been reviewing what to bring, in the space available, and it is really very hard to bring everything I would like. I thought I would bring a 100-400 and a 300f2.8 + 2x. but after seeing the links you sent out, I think I will bring my 500f4 L and I may look at the 70-300 IS L very closely. It is a bit slow, lots of the shooting in being done in low light, but modern cameras - 7D, 1DMk4 - offer pretty fair high ISO images.

edited January 30, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    The MTF curves that 70-300 L are really very impressive Andy. I did not really look at that lens previously, because most 70-300 lenses are not that good at the long end. But it looks quite impressive.

I have been reviewing what to bring, in the space available, and it is really very hard to bring everything I would like. I thought I would bring a 100-400 and a 300f2.8 + 2x. but after seeing the links you sent out, I think I will bring my 500f4 L and I may look at the 70-300 IS L very closely. It is a bit slow, lots of the shooting in being done in low light, but modern cameras - 7D, 1DMk4 - offer pretty fair high ISO images.

nod.gif I'm leaning towards the 500 f/4L, the new 70-300L. One on each body for maximum flexibility. I'll bring my 24 1.4L, 50 1.2L, and 135 f/2L for the tripodded landscape-shooting opps that come up. Oh and I expect by then to also have Canon's 8-15 L zoom, that'll be fun to play with too!

23.5 Lbs
    20110130-kuhwru5fsf99d45etqyhek2asf.jpg
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 30, 2011
    Not really enough tripod/head for the 500mm, is it? Or are you thinking that will be mainly a bean-bag affair?
    edited January 30, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Not really enough tripod/head for the 500mm, is it? Or are you thinking that will be mainly a bean-bag affair?

Yeah I plan on a Wimberly attached to this rig for the 500:
    toddpodd1.jpg

The tripod is just for small lens landscape shooting for the most part.
    edited January 30, 2011
    I am still waiting to find out the particulars about vehicles, Joel.

Some of the safari companies use hard roofed vehicles with roof ports, and some are entirely open vehicles. In East Africa I wonder if they favor open roofed vehicle, in which case, the roof based tripod support Andy linked won't work.. I will take a Kinesis bean bag for sure, and I think I may lean towards RRS's ground pod
    - a very short metal tripod that I could add a Wimberly Sidekick too. The ground pod splays out completely flat, so will work on a flat surface. If I do I will need a screw type Arca Clamp for my Sidekick, to keep it from sliding out unexpectedly.

A Sidekick is much lighter than my Wimberly head.