Photos uploaded today have camera data in caption?

CaptDanCaptDan Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited August 17, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I have a pro site with customization. My existing galleries look fine, but new uploaded photos are showing up with the exif camera data in the captions...any ideas, is this a bug or a "feature" :rofl
Fork Union Military Academy
Success stories begin here.

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 17, 2005
    Uh oh. Many programs such as Adobe Photo Album put caption data in the EXIF fields instead of the IPTC fields, and we've been under pressure to extract it. So we did and perhaps your camera is putting something in there too.

Can you point us to the photos/galleries that are doing this?
  • CaptDanCaptDan Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Wow, you guys are fast!

The photos I've just loaded up are at...

http://photos.forkunion.com/gallery/738093/1/32484805

I deleted the info from the first photo, but if you check the others you should see what I'm talking about. I'm using a Nikon D70..
    edited August 17, 2005
    These photos have not passed through Photoshop Album, they're straight from the camera card I think.

although I do use Photoshop Album now for some photos...

BTW, bless you guys for all the hours I'm sure you're putting in right now. Your site and service appear to be amazing - as a new customer just starting to build my site with you I am astonished at how great smugmug is so far.
    edited August 17, 2005
    Hold on - I think these may have been transferred to my hard drive using a piece of Nikon software - it looks like this may have placed all that data into the caption. Let me check on this a little further on this end to see if that Nikon software might be the culprit.

If you're extracting caption data from the exif, it looks like the Nikon software may have put all that into the caption field. I'll let you know what I find...

Dan
    edited August 17, 2005
    I don't know my IPTC from my EXIF, but the photos transferred to my hard drive with the NikonView software, when added to Photoshop Album, display all that data in the Caption and Notes fields when viewed in Photoshop Album...

So, I guess the problem is on my end - I have to somehow delete the Captions before uploading these photos?

Does anyone know a way to automate the deletion of these Captions? (I'm pretty good at programming if someone can point me generally in the right direction...I just don't know much about EXIF and IPTC - yet.)
    edited August 17, 2005
    Nevermind. Figured out how to automate the deletion of the Caption info using a batch script in Photoshop. I'll delete the Caption data from these photos that were transferred using the Nikon software and upload again. Problem solved!
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 17, 2005
    Thanks, CaptDan! The deal is:

1. We have always extracted caption data from IPTC fields. Olympus tends to vex us by writing OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA into the IPTC caption field, which isn't something they should do, in my opinion. Under what circumstances would you want the caption of your photo to be that?

2. We just started extracting caption data from EXIF fields, because we found out some programs like Photoshop place it there under some circumstances and many of our users wanted us to fetch it. We're learning that a few software programs like yours want to do the Olympus thing with your EXIF captions. Why? I have no idea. There is a place in EXIF for camera maker and they already write to that field. Sorry about that but I dunno what else we can do.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Since you extract the data to help in the pic size and allow for it to be accessed if chosen, is there a way we can update that? I like using the batch convert feature on Star Explorer, but it strips out exif data. It would be nice if I could add it to the extracted part that smug mug stores.