Options

Colourful Compost

R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
edited March 28, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Hi, A while back I had been out with the camera at a friends place and as I walked back through the garden I passed their compost bin - not wanting to stick my head into it I just held the camera over it and took a shot. The result was 'quite ordinary' - but after playing about on photoshop I came up with this.

Photo art - maybe - colourful - yes. I wanted to put it on a canvas and hang it on our wall - my wife said NO :cry Hope you like it!

8593840333_d581abfc79_h.jpg

Thanks for looking in - C&C always appreciated.

Cheers, Richard.

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    Hi Richard,

Being the color freak that I am, I find this shot very appealing. I can see it complimenting certain decors very well. But....maybe it's a female thing....my wife would have the same reaction as your's did. We can't win them all.:D

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    Ya did the right thing. Dirty Jobs. Somebody has to do it.
    Am really liking this work up. I think a version of it would have been tempting to place in food art challenges. Really really tempting. An seriously interesting departure. Well done. I love Poster edges. It
    mixes well with others. Did you use it here or is it something else plus?
    Michael
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    I REALLY like this Richard - I'd hang it in a second.
    Don't you have a man-cave or something to put it in?
    Try persistent, gentle persuasion.... tell her all the guys on DGrin have one... :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    IDDBIDDB Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    I like it to Richard but if I were you I would HDR PP it with Photomatix (my preferred HDR prog).
    The image/subject is well suited for this kind of PP.
    You can tone map a JPG with good result to, doesn't have to be a RAW to start.
    If you decide to try it, don't stop at one process thinking that you can't get what you want.
    I have PPed the same image up to 8 times to get what I was looking for.
    Start with a light "recipe" of your own (you can save your recipe) or use the included preset.
    Then had other recipes until you get what you like - You can "save as" the image at anytime and continue the process by pressing the Tone Map button. I personally save at every stage to compare when I'm done.

This image was PPed 8 times... Was going for TMAX3200 but got pencil/charcoal on ruff paper effect.
    8543995474_696705a1c1.jpg
    View larger here
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2013
    Hi Richard,

Being the color freak that I am, I find this shot very appealing. I can see it complimenting certain decors very well. But....maybe it's a female thing....my wife would have the same reaction as your's did. We can't win them all.:D

Tom

Hi Tom, upon further interrogation/discussion my wife admitted that she didn't mind the mouldy tomatoes, or the mouldy banana, or the mouldy onion - it was only the mouldy tea bags that she didn't like - go figure ne_nau.gif Anyway, glad You liked it.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2013
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Ya did the right thing. Dirty Jobs. Somebody has to do it.
    Am really liking this work up. I think a version of it would have been tempting to place in food art challenges. Really really tempting. An seriously interesting departure. Well done. I love Poster edges. It
    mixes well with others. Did you use it here or is it something else plus?

Hi Michael, yes, you are right - it is Poster Edges from PS Elements - it is quite effective for abstract shots. I'll wait for an 'ex-food' challenge :D Thanks for looking in and commenting.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    I REALLY like this Richard - I'd hang it in a second.
    Don't you have a man-cave or something to put it in?
    Try persistent, gentle persuasion.... tell her all the guys on DGrin have one... :D

Persistent gentle persuasion AKA whining :D I'll let you know how I go - but don't hold your breath.....!

Sounds like my next project - build a man-cave - I could use the dog's kennel as a design blue-print :D

Cheers for now, Richard.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2013
    IDDB wrote: »
    I like it to Richard but if I were you I would HDR PP it with Photomatix (my preferred HDR prog).
    The image/subject is well suited for this kind of PP.
    You can tone map a JPG with good result to, doesn't have to be a RAW to start.
    If you decide to try it, don't stop at one process thinking that you can't get what you want.
    I have PPed the same image up to 8 times to get what I was looking for.
    Start with a light "recipe" of your own (you can save your recipe) or use the included preset.
    Then had other recipes until you get what you like - You can "save as" the image at anytime and continue the process by pressing the Tone Map button. I personally save at every stage to compare when I'm done.

This image was PPed 8 times... Was going for TMAX3200 but got pencil/charcoal on ruff paper effect.
    8543995474_696705a1c1.jpg
    View larger here

Hi Daniel, Photomatix is on my list of wants (needs). And yes, I do save multiple images until I get the look I am after - thank goodness for big hard drives :D

Thanks for looking in and your suggestions. Your 'haul-pack' has turned out quite effective.

Cheers, Richard.