Chased off by the cops

camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited June 21, 2006 in People
Image: http://journalpix.com/Carlise-Mill-185-FULL.photo (Boobs - so not worksafe, depending on where you work).

There is a fantastic location about 15 miles from my house - an abandoned saw mill, complete with rusting band saws and disc saws, conveyor belts, tons of old wood, piping, and lushly overgrown. I've shot there innumerable times over the past two or three years.

Today, I took my assistant and a model out there to do the last shoot for my next book. We got there, picked an inside spot, and started shooting. About an hour into the shoot, we were interrupted by three members of King County's finest law enforcement establishment. The model was, of course, nude, and I was in mid-shot.

They asked us to stop, and one of the cops used his magic words: "We had a report of nudity, and someone was alarmed and affronted." I then used my magic words, "Really? I'm surprised, as we were mostly out of eyesight from the highway, but I'm terribly sorry. There's nothing untoward going on here, I'm shooting for a book. Nothing that appeals to the prurient nature, I assure you, and we had no intent to offend anyone."

Everything defused at that point. The cops let the model get her dress on, they asked for all of our identification which I gladly provided, we all came back 10-60 (no wants or warrants), and they asked the model, aside, if all was okay. The model said yes, and that all was exactly as I had described it.

We were then told, "Well, we don't see anything wrong here other than the fact that this is private property, so unless you have permission from the owner, we're going to ask you to leave."

"Absolutely, sir," I replied. I actually have tried to find the owner to ask permission, but the county records show the last owner, the actual mill company, to be out of business, and the property appears to have reverted to the county. So since there were no "no trespassing" signs, and since I know a lot of photographers shoot here, we chose the location.

"Yeah," agreed the cop, "it is a nice location. But still..."

"Yup. I know." I answered, "No worries."

So I only got one hour out of a three hour shoot, but our run-in with the cops was pleasant and without a problem. They clearly knew our state's standing on indecent exposure, and I'm reasonably sure that I got across, in a polite manner, that I did, too, and we both knew that we weren't even close. The model was in her late 20's, by the way, so that wasn't an issue.

I guess it all depends on where you live and what the cop had for lunch that day?

This is the third-to-last frame from the shoot, to give you an idea of the incredibly rich location. I'm sad to see if off limits now.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Good story, and one which folks would be wise to read, and follow your lead.

BTW, would love to see the other shots. This one, doesn't do it for me, the way the rusty pipes are laying about, and the way she's squatting, well, if you are trying to get across a certain action, then IMO you did a fantastic job thumb.gif but ...

Oh and the locale looks superb, too bad you can't shoot there anymore.
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Yeah, it looks like she's... um... pooping 1drink.gif

Regardless, I got some very good news about 10 minutes ago. I just got a call back from King County Parks - the whole Preston Mill area is, indeed, public land, and, with the exception of the locked areas, is open for public use. I got the name, title and phone number of the property agent at KCPD, and printed out all the property records. The agent not only told me it was cool to photograph there, but offered to have someone unlock the unsafe areas if I wanted access some time (of course, I didn't mention nude models, so I won't be taking him up on that).

I'm thrilled!
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Good story!
    cambler wrote:
    Regardless, I got some very good news about 10 minutes ago. I just got a call back from King County Parks - the whole Preston Mill area is, indeed, public land, and, with the exception of the locked areas, is open for public use. I got the name, title and phone number of the property agent at KCPD, and printed out all the property records. The agent not only told me it was cool to photograph there, but offered to have someone unlock the unsafe areas if I wanted access some time (of course, I didn't mention nude models, so I won't be taking him up on that).

I'm thrilled!
    Great news!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Interesting story, thank you!
    I was arested by our local police here in Voronezh, Russia when I was taking photo of a building in the sunset - I can only imagine their reaction in your case.... :-)
    Yuri
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 20, 2006
    Good story and definitely worth paying attention to.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    BTW, would love to see the other shots...

Is this more to your liking?

http://journalpix.com/Carlise-Mill-057.photo (Again, if boobs aren't your thing, this link isn't for you)
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    Is this more to your liking?

http://journalpix.com/Carlise-Mill-057.photo (Again, if boobs aren't your thing, this link isn't for you)

that's a nice shot that i think would look best with a b&w conversion.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
    edited June 20, 2006
    athos wrote:
    that's a nice shot that i think would look best with a b&w conversion.

VERY interesting that you should say that, as that was the intent when shot! This shot is going to be in my next book, which is all B&W. Impressive eye!
  • galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    I just got a call back from King County Parks - the whole Preston Mill area is, indeed, public land, and, with the exception of the locked areas, is open for public use.

Good. thumb.gif
  • tomthephotographertomthephotographer Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    I enjoyed the story. It was well done. I would like to say one thing. You refer to the Police Officers as COPs . I would like to ask that they are public servants doing a job most of us would not want to. To that end Please refer to them as police officers.
    Noun1.249702-cop.gifcop - uncomplimentary terms for a policeman

Thank you.
    Canon 40D. Lens Sigma 170-500, Tamron 75-300, Quantaray 19-35,
    Bogan Tripod. Gaint Yukon 25' Bike,

Like it or not we most often get what we deserve in the end.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    With all due respect to them, how do they get all those police officers to appear on a show called COPS? ne_nau.gif
  • galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    I You refer to the Police Officers as COPs . I would like to ask that they are public servants doing a job most of us would not want to. To that end Please refer to them as police officers.

I guess you never played "cops and robbers." :):
    edited June 20, 2006
    I know many law enforcement professionals personally, and every one of them, without exception, call themselves "cops."

Around the year 1700, the slang verb cop entered English usage, meaning "to get ahold of, catch, capture." By 1844, cop showed up in print, and soon thereafter the -er suffix was added, and a policeman became a copper, one who cops or catches and arrests criminals. Copper first appeared in print in 1846, the use of cop as a short form copper occured in 1859.

I believe I'll keep using the word. I apologize if it carries a different meaning for you.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    I like how the second photo you posted is sexual without being overtly so, and it does make a mean high contrast B&W.

and where the heck are you finding your definition of cop, tomthephotographer? None of my resources refer to it as uncomplimentary.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Tom, you're fighting a losing battle. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ErikAllasErikAllas Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Good story, I always enjoy your pics Cambler. :)
  • KennyKenny Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    "Cops"...
    G'day all,

I mainly lurk here (great learning environment... someday I'll start posting more and even posting pics :-)...

... anyway, for the record... I am a "cop" in South Australia and the term is not offensive at all down here. I use the term all the time, as do a lot of my work mates. I guess it really all depends on the intent in which it is used... if someone called me a copper with a few expletives thrown in and obviously meant to offend... well, I probably wouldn't like it. But in general terms go right ahead and call me a "cop" :-)

Cheers,
    Kenny

cambler wrote:
    I know many law enforcement professionals personally, and every one of them, without exception, call themselves "cops."

Around the year 1700, the slang verb cop entered English usage, meaning "to get ahold of, catch, capture." By 1844, cop showed up in print, and soon thereafter the -er suffix was added, and a policeman became a copper, one who cops or catches and arrests criminals. Copper first appeared in print in 1846, the use of cop as a short form copper occured in 1859.

I believe I'll keep using the word. I apologize if it carries a different meaning for you.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 20, 2006
    Cop: while commonly believed to be an acronym for Constable on patrol, the term refers to "one who captures or snatches". This word first appeared in the early 18th century, and can be matched with the word "cap", which has the same meaning and whose etymology can be traced to the Latin word 'capere'. (The word retains this meaning in other contexts: teenagers "cop a feel" on a date, and they have also been known to "cop an attitude".)

Variation: Copper. It is also believed that the term Copper was the original, unshortened word, representing the copper badges and the copper buttons officers used to wear at the time of origin
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    "A witch! A witch! A witch!"
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Kenny wrote:
    G'day all,

I mainly lurk here (great learning environment... someday I'll start posting more and even posting pics :-)...

... anyway, for the record... I am a "cop" in South Australia and the term is not offensive at all down here. I use the term all the time, as do a lot of my work mates. I guess it really all depends on the intent in which it is used... if someone called me a copper with a few expletives thrown in and obviously meant to offend... well, I probably wouldn't like it. But in general terms go right ahead and call me a "cop" :-)

Cheers,
    Kenny
    wave.gif Hi Kenny. Yeah, post some pics. You'd be amazed at how interested people are in what your part of the world looks like.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au