Hawaii

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited February 22, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm off to Hawaii next week. I'll be there or two weeks, but only two days on the Big Island. Four nights on Maui and the rest in Honolulu.

My wonderful sister has planned an amazing time for me, but I would welcome any advice you folks might have about great locations to photograph. I mainly like to take pictures of people, but I can't imagine coming back from Hawaii without lots of landscapes . I am especially interested in the best places in or near Honolulu for a sunset photo shoot with a model (friend of said sister).

My other concern is the VOG on the Big Island. Anyone had any problems dealing with it? Does it get in the way of your getting good pictures?

Any help, suggestions, etc. greatly appreciated.

Virginia

Email

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 19, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    My other concern is the VOG on the Big Island. Anyone had any problems dealing with it? Does it get in the way of your getting good pictures?
    I was on the Big Island a couple of weeks ago. The plume from the volcano headed in the wrong direction (as in over the more used parts of the park) on a couple of days, but it didn't cause any problems for me. There were posted warnings for folks with asthma (and others too). Info in the Advisory on Potential Closures section of this page - http://www.nps.gov/havo/closed_areas.htm.

If you're interested, you can see my Hawaii Volcanoes National Park photos from late January/early February at http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Travel/Peles-wonders-Winter-2010/Hawaii-Volcanoes-National-Park/11203407_AtDda#787467116_FjLcy. Photos from other areas of the Big Island are available in the subcat above that gallery, link in the gallery description.

From my standpoint, time in the national park is a must do/see. I spent 4 days in the park, and I easily could have stayed longer. There are a couple of other favorite places on the rest of the island too... hike to the green sand beach from South Point, overlook and hike down to black sand beach at Polulu Valley in the northeast corner of the island, and...

Have a great trip!

--- Denise
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Thanks, Denise, for your helpful reply. I'm off to check out your photos now.

Wish I could spend more time on the Big Island, but I hope to make the best of what time I will have there.

Virginia

Email
  • kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    I'm happy to point you to some of the places where I like to shoot. (Here's a link to some of my landscapes: http://www.kathleendavenport.com/Nature/Landscapes/4958086_Z7bxn#491032518_Bqm5f

For sunsets, you'll have an okay view from Waikiki, but I recommend heading out to the leeward coast or to the North Shore.

If you'll send me an e-mail through my website (or feel free to give me a call), I'll be happy to give you some other suggestions for where to shoot.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Thanks so much Kathy!

Sorry to be so long responding, but I have been swamped. I'll be in touch - probably after I get to Honolulu.

Virginia

Email