Baseball Trading Cards

bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
edited August 9, 2015 in Sports
Just sharing some baseball trading cards I did for my son's team. This was an end-of-season gift for the players, printed on stiff card stock to stand up to folding or creasing. Needless to say, they loved them and got a kick out of seeing themselves on a "trading card." The only thing I didn't have was the stats and stuff on the back, but no matter.

I'm sure I'll get comments about using the Topps logo, so be it. I didn't charge for these - they were a gift. If I ever decide to charge for these, I'll probably change the logo to "Tapps" or "Tipps" or something similar. :wink

1 - My son
Ryan-XL.jpg

Preston-2-XL.jpg

Kole-XL.jpg

Colby-XL.jpg

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2014
    Those are awesome! Where did you get the border? The pics are top notch too.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2014
    Hey Jack, several times I tried to create baseball card template and just couldn't come up with one. Even the ones you pay for are not that great. So, I searched for trading cards online and found a good photo of one taken for directly above. I saved it and then modified it to my liking, cutting out everything but the border. I then simply added a layer for the action shots, then a layer for our team logo (that I designed), and then another layer for the Topps logo. I added one last text layer for the player names and now I have an interchangeable template. I might customize it more and then sell to parents next year to pay for ink and stiff photo paper.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
  • pipsterpipster Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2014
    bobcool wrote: »
    So, I searched for trading cards online and found a good photo of one taken for directly above. I saved it and then modified it to my liking, cutting out everything but the border.

You do know that what you did might be construed as copyright infringement. If so they might leave you enough to eat your gruel with a wooden spoon.
    edited June 29, 2014
    Here are a couple of links you might want to make yourself aware of.

Copyright http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-definitions.html
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2014
    Bob, those are fantastic. Didn't know they still did Topps cards. Well done
    edited June 30, 2014
    Thanks Jack and John, appreciate the comments. I printed these myself so I could control the borders and make sure nothing was cut off.

Pipster, thanks for the link to the copyright website. I'm not concerned about any type of infringement - these weren't for sale or used to promote my business or used commercially in any way - this was all personal in nature. If I decide to actually charge or advertise these I plan on creating my own version like Jack did.
    edited June 30, 2014
    [QUOTE=bobcool; then another layer for the Topps logo.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bobcool;1959651

Pipster, thanks for the link to the copyright website. I'm not concerned about any type of infringement - these weren't for sale or used to promote my business or used commercially in any way - this was all personal in nature. If I decide to actually charge or advertise these I plan on creating my own version like Jack did.[/QUOTE]

I am no lawyer but this statement taken from one of the links I provided earlier might be of a concern to you. It looks like for copyright infringement to occur you do not need to sell any images just publicly display them like you did.

What is copyright infringement?
    As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.
    edited July 1, 2014
    pipster wrote: »
    I am no lawyer but this statement taken from one of the links I provided earlier might be of a concern to you. It looks like for copyright infringement to occur you do not need to sell any images just publicly display them like you did.

What is copyright infringement?
    As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!
  • jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2014
    lol nice cards!
  • GZimGZim Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 18, 2015
    Great job on the cards. I am trying to do the same for my daughters U11 Soccer team... any help would be greatly appreciated.
    What program did you use to create the cards? I have Elements 10, but have no idea where to begin....
    what size are they?
    Where do you get them printed so they are on card stock?
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2015
    Some nice sports shots here. thumb.gif I like the baseball cards effect. I'm sure the team will get a kick out of that format.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

edited May 19, 2015
    GZim wrote: »
    Great job on the cards. I am trying to do the same for my daughters U11 Soccer team... any help would be greatly appreciated.
    What program did you use to create the cards? I have Elements 10, but have no idea where to begin....
    what size are they?
    Where do you get them printed so they are on card stock?

Hey GZim,

Thanks - I used CS5 to create all the different text and logo layers and the trading card frame, enabling me to easily insert a layer with a photo of each player, update the name, and then save to .jpg.

I'll PM you for more detailed tips...

-Bob
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2015
    Great idea! Fantastic pictures too, many pro players would like pics that good.
    edited May 20, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Great idea! Fantastic pictures too, many pro players would like pics that good.

Thanks Cristobal! It helps when I can get close inside the fence - makes cropping not as bad since I have more pixels to work with...
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2015