Options

Bicycle Racing

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited April 5, 2015 in Sports
I had an opportunity to go shoot the Thursday night bicycle racing series at The Driveway in Austin last night. Having never shot bicycle races before, I figured 'why not'? I got there and the action was already in play. Not knowing how long the races really were or how much of the track was being used I opted to hang kind of close to the start finish area.

My take away is, they are fast and kind of hard to shoot. When in packs, you can almost rule out full bike shots of individual riders as you'll never get the front wheel or back wheel out of a shot. They ride that close to one another. I shot most at 1/500th or dropped down to 1/320th with the flash and had decent results I think. I know I can do better, but for sure - a good learning experience.

Full gallery HERE

A few from the night....

i-xGzSfp2-L.jpg

i-8t7hHRw-L.jpg

i-xnF7t4Q-L.jpg

i-68jdXhg-L.jpg

i-GPLJWPM-L.jpg

i-6gvcz4m-L.jpg

i-qFRW6Px-L.jpg

i-Q8b3jK4-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited August 9, 2013
    I think you did well for a first time. #2 & #5 are my faves.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Thank you.

I learned these are not easy events to shoot. And I still am uber-frustrated in just the overall 'look' of them. They don't pop, they don't have crisp lines, the colors aren't vibrant. I'm just frustrated not knowing what else to try. Bump in saturation? Greater DOF? I just don't know....
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    White balance, blacks, contrast, saturation. Exposure.

Some of the shots could benefit from a shallower depth of field. IDK, you have good DOF in most of them.
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I'm not sure I would have shot bike racing with a flash as I think it would bother the riders. Try slowing your shutter speed to 1/250 to show motion.
  • Options
    NeozynNeozyn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    You did an excellent job in a new situation with very nice shots! To me I would suggest trying HDR to adjust them to where you are comfortable adjusting the dynamic range. I prefer to not use HDR but when I do the final images do pop nicely. You have excellent base shots here to work from. All the best!

Canon 5D MKII - HDR
    http://www.jeffisabelle.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    billandersbillanders Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    As both an avid cyclist and photographer, I'll admit that you jumped into a tough situation.

As others have said, a shallower DoF would really help isolate the subjects. Even in bright daylight, you could make your subjects pop a bit more by using your flash and stopping down your aperture further than the generic f4.0.

In the rapidly fading sunlight, that's when your flash becomes more important. Consider moving it off camera so that it's off axis. That will give more depth and texture to your images. Also, consider setting your camera to second-curtain sync, which will also give a sense of movement.

Even on-axis, here's where you get it (almost) right: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/31083077_g8SWWd#!i=2688850288&k=6m7Zc7r [the link wouldn't post the pic}

(almost) means a bit looser crop to include the whole front wheel. Much like portraiture, where you don't want to cut off an elbow or top of the head.

Here's an example of what you could get. Certainly not a perfect example, but something easily achieved with the right settings and a bit of panning. BTW, he had just been sling-shotted out of the turn by his teammate and was approaching 40mph, so the panning was very quick.

ISO 200, 28mm, 1/60@2.8, flash off camera ~2' to the left.
    7722899858_7c71678c4e_b.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Thanks for the additional comments!

I checked and re-checked - flash is OK at these events and they don't care how you configure it. So on-camera is acceptable, off-camera/ground level or off-camera on a light stand is all good. There was one photog out there (quite good too) who had a flash on a light stand about 8' up and to the side. I've seen his work and it's excellent. He was offering up some things to try as well.

I'll try the shallower DOF and slower shutter speed next time out. I DID learn that you need to be rock solid in the pan action across the same travel plane as the rider. On several, I was in a little depression and they were headed down a few degrees and when I looked back at the high-res versions, when the flash popped I could tell I was actually introducing a few degrees downward pan motion so the 'streak' wasn't horizontal in their direction of travel. Shoot and learn I suppose....

Can HDR be done with a single .nef/RAW image? I might have to look into that more.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    You can do HDR with a single image. Process three different ways and use the result for your HDR.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    OK, so I went out again this past week and tried the panning/slower shutterspeed as well as the use of a flash. Here's a few I came away with. Any better? Worse?

A friend said this was a classic Eddie Merckx type shot. I dunno ne_nau.gif
    i-wvJrHc7-L.jpg

i-3gDTNh6-L.jpg

i-2BWSzT8-L.jpg

And a really wild one? I had it deleted at first then pulled it back
    i-ZGB82z7-L.jpg

• Options
    billandersbillanders Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    I will say you absolutely nailed that first shot! :D

The rest are pretty good, and I'm glad you did not delete that last image. Slow shutter speeds, off-axis flash and second curtain sync can make for some great images.

If you live someplace where there are a lot of cyclists on the road, you can do similar things on the street. Even without flash, the panning keeps your senses sharp and helps build that muscle memory. Plus, it's fun!

Keep at it!
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Excellent. I like #2 and #3 the best. Great job!
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2015
    ok, so it's been 18 months or so since I shot these guys and I've taken to heart the comments with emphasis on better subject composition and shallower DOF. The races concluded way before dusk/dark so flash wasn't an option for effect yet.

Here's a few I sort of liked from last nights racing action. Are they different/better than my first attempt?

Full gallery HERE

i-gDn3DTC-L.jpg

i-xsJ3jh2-L.jpg

i-nMwFZCq-L.jpg

i-Vjb24ps-L.jpg

i-WfpH8Sk-L.jpg

i-pVzr6vf-L.jpg

i-JVxjhZ5-L.jpg

• Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2015
    Wow! Much improvement from the original post awhile back. Well done! Makes me actually miss racing my roadie even though I'm a mtb'er :)
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2015
    Thank you!

I can't wait to try this again next Thursday. The track configuration will most probably be different so natural lighting will need to be taken into account. And I'm going to try to slow the shutter down and get some spoke blur this time while using a shallower DOF to really bring in your attention.