First slow, then totally inaccessible pro level site

LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited July 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
www.fotogafer.com

I seem to go through this again and again, I got to say, it's frustrating beyond reproach!

Yet, every time, I seem to be able to get to the forum fine. Maybe they need to put our images and site on the forum server!

Edit, currently it's taking 1 minute for the main page to display, totally unacceptable!

I guess there is the possibility it's my go daddy link with the smugmug connection, I don't know, but I wish we could figure it out.

Comments

• gcridergcrider Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Same Here
    It's taking forever just to get into the control panel. I have been noticing a lot of slow downs in my area (geographically) from several different locations for a number of months now. It is discouraging, especially when sending clients to a private proof gallery for reviews.
  • TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Ouch... 48 - 83 seconds for mine!!!
    OK, something is getting screwy here... My site is www.nzsnaps.com

I just tried it and froma fast connection here in New Zealand, it took 48 seconds from hitting enter before the page started to render (FF2.0.0.4 on XPSP2) and then only 2 more seconds to complete loading.

Second attempt 5 minutes later took 69 seconds to start and 2 seconds to complete loading.

Third time, 83 seconds to start rendering, 2 seconds to complete.

Fourth time, 49 seconds, and 2 seconds to complete.

I can't find any sites apart from smugmug based sites that have this massive delay.

If you're in the US, or on a really fast connection, PLEASE take a moment to load

http://www.nzsnaps.com

and post here how long it took to start rendering and how long to complete rendering. Please post where you are from and what connection you're on.

Cheers - Neil Gardner

Lex wrote:
    www.fotogafer.com

I seem to go through this again and again, I got to say, it's frustrating beyond reproach!

Yet, every time, I seem to be able to get to the forum fine. Maybe they need to put our images and site on the forum server!

Edit, currently it's taking 1 minute for the main page to display, totally unacceptable!

I guess there is the possibility it's my go daddy link with the smugmug connection, I don't know, but I wish we could figure it out.
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited July 15, 2007
    TalkieT wrote:
    If you're in the US, or on a really fast connection, PLEASE take a moment to load

http://www.nzsnaps.com

Cheers - Neil Gardner
    Neil -
    For whatever it's worth, I don't think it's an international access issue. Accessing your site and mine are both taking longer than normal right now. I have to assume it's a smugmug-wide problem. And yes, I am in the US.

--- Denise

A little later... now I can't access the site at all.
  • slimuncledslimuncled Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    I am having the same problem.

It is VERY frustrating. I hope that there are no people trying to access my site.

Also, in the last 24 hours I have tried to upload many photo's and have had to retry the upload because it failed.

This isn't the first time I have noticed a large speed problem.ne_nau.gif
  • ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Same here, either slow, or no go.

dgrin is fast though.
  • rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Same here
    Can't get in at all. It's now 7:56pm EST.
    Rich
  • jim_hjim_h Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    something's wrong
    It's still accessible, but unuseably slow right now.
  • stefebstefeb Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    I just joined the slow club. Can't do anything. Server freeze?

Let us know what's happening.
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    57 seconds here for the home page to load.

This is becoming far too commonplace.

Trace route attached:

1 gw2.sv3.smugmug.net (10.27.27.11) 0.132 ms 0.139 ms 0.172 ms
    2 r2.sv1.smugmug.net (63.81.134.2) 6.924 ms 12.060 ms 1.779 ms
    3 r1-ge02.dc3.smugmug.net (10.1.1.6) 82.045 ms 84.276 ms 89.910 ms
    4 eqix-hagg-pri.asbn.twtelecom.net (206.223.137.6) 82.337 ms 82.685 ms 82.427 ms
    5 * core-01-so-4-1-0-0.asbn.twtelecom.net (66.192.255.232) 82.679 ms core-02-so-4-1-0-0.asbn.twtelecom.net (66.192.255.226) 82.588 ms
    MPLS Label=213003 CoS=0 TTL=1 S=0
    6 66.192.240.18 (66.192.240.18) 83.040 ms peer-01-ge-1-0-0-1.asbn.twtelecom.net (64.129.249.18) 87.944 ms 83.987 ms
    7 bor01.va-ashburn0.ne.earthlink.net (206.223.115.32) 82.775 ms 83.012 ms 82.895 ms
    8 bor01-p3-1.ga-atlanta0.ne.earthlink.net (209.165.110.77) 83.574 ms 83.509 ms 83.775 ms
    9 cor01-vl-10.ga-atlanta0.ne.earthlink.net (207.69.223.158) 83.584 ms 83.628 ms 83.655 ms
    10 dir03-vl-96.ga-atlanta0.ne.earthlink.net (209.165.96.4) 86.571 ms 85.482 ms 86.445 ms
    11 199.174.118.3 (199.174.118.3) 86.162 ms abd03-g4-0-0.ga-atlanta0.ne.earthlink.net (199.174.117.227) 83.798 ms 199.174.118.3 (199.174.118.3) 83.683 ms
    12 * * *
    13 * * *
    14 * * *
    15 * * *
    16 * * *
    17 * * *
    18 * * *
    19 * * *
    20 * * *
    21 * * *
    22 * * *
    23 * * *
    24 * * *
    25 * * *
    26 * * *
    27 * * *
    28 * * *
    29 * * *
    30 * * *

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • PhotoUnitPhotoUnit Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 15, 2007
    Me Too..... I have also had repeated problems with sloooooooow access..... What givesne_nau.gif
  • jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Mine is running slow as Heelll still! Any news on what is going on or when it will be fixed

J

PhotoUnit wrote:
    Me Too..... I have also had repeated problems with sloooooooow access..... What givesne_nau.gif
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    jbr13 wrote:
    Mine is running slow as Heelll still! Any news on what is going on or when it will be fixed

J

Mine is so slow that you'd think it was actually down all together. Odd that no one from SM has come in to say something by now.
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

edited July 15, 2007
    DJKennedy wrote:
    Mine is so slow that you'd think it was actually down all together. Odd that no one from SM has come in to say something by now.

As I type this, I've waited 3 mins 30 seconds for the site to load. THats 3 mins 15 seconds too long

EDIT: over 4 mins and all I have is a gallery page with no thumbs, or larger image (to the right). Just the little SM circle/arrow dealy indicating that its loading still. Oops, 5 mins.

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 15, 2007
    Hey Guys,

wireless is looking into the problem.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    DJKennedy wrote:

While I love the community orientation of the forum, and sites for photos, I can definitely say if this is not corrected, I will not renew at any level, let alone pro. I can support my own photos, albeit even if I have to come up with software to handle them

I hate to beat a horse while it's down, but the masses are building here, while we are not ready to linch someone yet, we are collectively definitely feeling shortchanged for our investment in the Smugmug community.

A week or two ago, same thing. Frequently, I hit intermittent spurts. but I cannot even begin to try and run a business like this, it will not work. Good thing I haven't started selling photos yet in reality. I feel for people that actually are productive, well when things work.

Thanks for letting me know folks I am not alone. Misery doesn't really love company here though... headscratch.gif
  • PhotoUnitPhotoUnit Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 15, 2007
    Lex wrote:
    While I love the community orientation of the forum, and sites for photos, I can definitely say if this is not corrected, I will not renew at any level, let alone pro. I can support my own photos, albeit even if I have to come up with software to handle them

Me too..... Seems to be slow a lot....... Business must be good.... So good it's taxing their resouces.......Bill
  • TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Smugmug are almost always amazingly helpful and responsive!
    Lex wrote:
    (snip)I hate to beat a horse while it's down, but the masses are building here, while we are not ready to linch someone yet, we are collectively definitely feeling shortchanged for our investment in the Smugmug community.
    (snip) headscratch.gif

Even though I'm frustrated by the obvious problems at the moment, I think we all need to keep in perspective that Smugmug are unfailingly communicative and helpful. Name another reasonably big site/service where the founders and many of the hands on tech staff actually answer individual posts by users!

I've had a number of small problems with Smugmug, some my fault, some transient issues with SM, and some are gaps in their product offerings, but at no stage have I ever felt brushed off or not listened to.

I'm sure we'll have a typically detailed answer as to what happened shortly, and an answer as to whether we can expect a quick resolution.

Cheers - Neil Gardner
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • durenduren Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Thanks
    Thanks for that perspective, Neil.

- bob
    TalkieT wrote:
    Even though I'm frustrated by the obvious problems at the moment, I think we all need to keep in perspective that Smugmug are unfailingly communicative and helpful. Name another reasonably big site/service where the founders and many of the hands on tech staff actually answer individual posts by users!

I've had a number of small problems with Smugmug, some my fault, some transient issues with SM, and some are gaps in their product offerings, but at no stage have I ever felt brushed off or not listened to.

I'm sure we'll have a typically detailed answer as to what happened shortly, and an answer as to whether we can expect a quick resolution.

Cheers - Neil Gardner
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    I just got this message from a client:

" I am trying to order some of the pictures that you took in May for our team. For some reason, the webpage is always very slow, which I am sure is due in part to the images, but I can't get it to advance to the 3rd and 4th pages, where the pictures that I am looking for are. Do you have any tips? I have tried all day."

Of course I have no tips. It's the third complaint I've received in the last year regarding issues getting at my website. Smugmug has always had great customer service and I've stayed with them for that reason. But these recurring issues of availability (and yes there have been several over the last year) are a cause for concern. I have a very speculative business - Sports Photography. If/when my clients can't get to my site it is possible they simply don't come back.

The least SM could do is have a message display to users who try to access the sites explaining it's a problem on Smugmug that is being fixed.

And, as I've said in the past - some notification to Pro level business partners that there is a problem.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey Guys,

wireless is looking into the problem.

Cheers,

David

Any word on what's going on and an ETA?

Thanks!
  • jdouglass@jfti.comjdouglass@jfti.com Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Same Here
    ?????????????????????
  • HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    I hate to jump on the band wagon, but I also want you to understand how frustrating this is.

The site is not usable right now. It takes minutes to load an image or a page. I've been reading on other forums of people have just signed up or are about to sign up who are going elsewhere because they are so frustrated.

I hope that whatever the problem is will be resolved quickly.

I hate to admit it, but I'm due for renewal in a month or 2 and was actually considering upgrading to pro. Right now I'm re-thinking that decision. I wish this weren't the case.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    johng wrote:
    And, as I've said in the past - some notification to Pro level business partners that there is a problem.

Non-pro users are frustrated too.umph.gif
  • LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Sorry Neil, I shared that perspective WEEKS ago when the site experienced many issues, now, it's just grown old and intollerable that every time I want to upload, or every time I do something as simple as wanting to access one of my photos to reference in a forum writeup, it's inaccessable, like this one:

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=122562

I added one photo, then couldn't access the site to add additional ones, so my impact of my attempt at a photo journal on Elkmont is trash.

I don't have time to sit around and play a waiting game on site sofware and accessibility. I work full time, run a business, and try to do photography, when I am here, I'm on a timeline and need to get done what I am attempting to do. I don't have the luxury of coming back an hour later or two hours etc...
    edited July 15, 2007
    Shot a motorcycle race today. Timing is of the essence. I had to use a competitor's (to SmugMug) website, and sign on for a trial basis just so I could have a place to post my pictures for client approval.

SmugMug - At least let us know what is going on. Your silence is worse then the unresponsive website.
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 15, 2007
    stefeb wrote:
    Shot a motorcycle race today. Timing is of the essence. I had to use a competitor's (to SmugMug) website, and sign on for a trial basis just so I could have a place to post my pictures for client approval.

SmugMug - At least let us know what is going on. Your silence is worse then the unresponsive website.
    Hey Guys,

We are aware that some folks are getting unresponsive sites. The engineers have been notified and we hope to have the site back up to normal speed shortly.

Thanks for your patience.
    Pedal faster
    edited July 15, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Hey Guys,

We are aware that some folks are getting unresponsive sites. The engineers have been notified and we hope to have the site back up to normal speed shortly.

Thanks for your patience.

Thank you for letting us know something, it is appreciated.
  • cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Same thing going on for me. Was going to send a link to a potential client and I couldn't even access the image myself! I left PBase because the site seemed to continually get slower and slower and many times unusable. The same thing seems to be happening here. I've spent a lot of time setting things up the way I like on SmugMug. I also maintain a Zenfolio site with most of the same images and those who know about the choice choose to browse my Zenfolio site. If and when they add pro features similar to Smug I hope they are ready for the tidal wave of disgruntled SmugMug users that may be coming their way to try out Zenfolio.
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • richmoffittrichmoffitt Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    I'm already noticing a pretty big speed increase. What changed?

Ping time didn't change dramatically, but site load time did. Thanks... whatever you did.
    edited July 15, 2007
    Seems back to normal...