Slippery slope?

mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited January 22, 2011 in Weddings
got an interesting email today and I am looking for some suggestions:
Hey Matt!

Long time no see! Hope you are doing well :)

I had a really quick question for you. I have been looking at some blogs with a lot of wedding pics and I was wondering if I could show you a couple of pics that can hopefully be recreated for the wedding? There are some ideas that are beautiful, and I would love to have in pics. Would that be alright with you?

Thanks Matt!!!
Here is my first reaction responce that I did NOT send yet.
Hey Nikki!

Yeah, all is good. I hope you guys are enjoying this wonderful weather! Are you ready for the big PACKER bear game? Ha! Should be a fun one for sure.

As for duplicating images from blogs. Ehhh… I will look at them, and if you tell me specifically what you like about them I will try to incorporate some of that into our shoot. That is about the best I can say on that. Things may be very different though in terms of lighting and posing and location, etc. I don’t even replicate my own work, because I usually can’t. It is very fluid for me and my subjects respond to that, and this is what you see in my work. That being said, I see images from other photogs that I like and use memories of that image in my own work, but it is never the same picture in the end, it is typically just an element. I hope you understand.

Matt
Obviously I don't want to commit to replicating shots, and I honestly want this over and done with so I can just do my thing. Im having a hard time balancing tact with proper customer control. I certainly want to give them what they want, but I don't want to compromise my work by shooting from a blueprint, and I don't want them micromanaging the shoot.

I'm sure some will wonder if they are under contract and they are. This is their e-session thread. here

Thanks in advance!!!

Matt

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes

Comments

• holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    here is what you do, have her print those images off and bring them w/ her. 1. if she forgets them, its her fault. 2. when you look at them, it's ok to let them inspire you or to even try to duplicate them, but you say, "hey how about we do it this way...." and she is happy, unless she is always unhappy, then you're screwed.
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I would intercept this quickly Matt and work with her to understand the concepts she likes. She will probably love that you are reaching out to her and trying to understand her wants better than just copying images. Tell her that you will do your best to incorporate her ideas into your photography, but make sure she is not hard set on them. Make it clear that because of your creativity (and integrity), you do not copy other peoples work. Then blow her away with your ORIGINAL photography.
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    If the images are from other photographer at the same location, it might actually be helpful, but managing expectations is the key.
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    I'd definitely try to get her into a dialog in which she can identify what it is that she likes about them (pose, processing, emotion, etc.). Try to explain that photographs are more like snow flakes (distinctive and unique) than cookies from a recipe (uniformly tasting and mass produced). Then be open to accepting the qualities she finds appealing to use as "seasoning" in your work. If she already likes your work enough to sign with you, it will make her happy on its own merit. But your ability to listen and incorporate her input will blow her away with something that is also distinctly unique for you and personal for her without compromising your overall artistic integrity.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    I don't think she really wants to literally replicate the said shots, just certain ideas that came from the said images. But you need to find out how much of the idea, it could be a small part or the entire thing. Have a discussion with her about what kind of ideas did she brew up after looking at said images, why she likes that kind of idea, and go from there. Then put your take on those said ideas.

We get ideas and inspiration from anything, really, so just see what inspires her. Ideas tend to evolve.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    I always tell my brides that they can email me links to photos that suit their styles and tastes and that I will use them as inspiration for their own shoot. But that I always aim to create photos that best represent the couple and their personalities. In the end, the photos are purely inspiration. And I will never specifically try to replicate a photo. After a conversation about it, the bride leaves much more excited about the prospect of creating their own breathtaking photos as opposed to just duplicating what has already been done.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Thanks guys for all the help!

Here iw what I wrote:
    Hey Nikki!!

Things are good with me. I hope you guys are doing well also. Ready for the big PACKER bear game? Ha! Should be crazy this weekend in your neck of the woods.

As for the blog images. Sure I can look at them and maybe incorporate some of the ideas into our shoot. I don’t expect I can replicate or recreate since I can’t even really do that with my own work half the time, but if you want me to use them as inspiration I can sure try to do that. Try to put into words specifically what you like about the images, and then I can understand where you are coming from.

Matt

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
    edited January 19, 2011
    Well... this ended up being less of a big deal than I thought! Often the case actually
    Good to hear that you're doing well ;) The wedding is coming up too quickly, I can't believe it's almost Feb!!! Crazyness!

Anyway, thanks for letting me send some pics over to you. I think the pics that you took at the engagement shoot where they have more of the vintage/journalistic feel are my favorite. Obviously we are going to have a number of posed pics with the family and wedding party too.

We have about 2 hours before the Cocktail hour starts to take pics anywhere we want and hopefully we can take some pics with family at the church and out of the church on the lake with the wedding party. The ceremony starts at 3pm and should go for about 40 min or so. There is a limo bus that will transport the guys at 2pm to the church and then come back for the girls and back to the church. So, you'll have transportation to and from everywhere we go. Phewww! That was a lot...haha

This first link I sent you I love the pics that they took of the venue along with the cake, decor, favors, etc. I would love to have some pics of all the details of the wedding...
    http://www.stylemepretty.com/2011/01/18/31-films-red-gallery-photography-a-spectacular-cincinatti-wedding/

The second link I have, I love the pics that they took of the brides details, makeup, shoes, dress, etc I think I'm big on the details. can you tell? ha!
    http://stylemepretty.com/gallery/gallery/2463

I also would like to take a picture with Mike and I holding up a Thank You sign, so we can send that out for thank you cards later on after the wedding. Otherwise I think that's all I have :)

Maybe we can meet closer to the wedding and we can chat about what the weekend schedule will look like for that weekend and anything else that you'll need for us.
    Let me know what you think!

Nikki

Thanks again for the input!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Well... this ended up being less of a big deal than I thought! Often the case actually

Thanks again for the input!

Matt

hehehe! See! Don't sweat the small stuff!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    It looks like you handled it perfectly. Plus, the cliche stuff or 'normal' stuff is sometimes fun... but not everyone wants it. Nice to know when you get people that do, and when they don't.

Personally, I set the expectation in the initial face-to-face meeting. I will not copy a shot. I won't even try. I'll give you something unique, beautiful, and awesome... but it won't be just a copy of what was done before. And 'idea', however, I'm all about getting inspiration from.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
    edited January 19, 2011
    hehehe! See! Don't sweat the small stuff!

Yup!
    It looks like you handled it perfectly. Plus, the cliche stuff or 'normal' stuff is sometimes fun... but not everyone wants it. Nice to know when you get people that do, and when they don't.

Personally, I set the expectation in the initial face-to-face meeting. I will not copy a shot. I won't even try. I'll give you something unique, beautiful, and awesome... but it won't be just a copy of what was done before. And 'idea', however, I'm all about getting inspiration from.

Yeah... I talk about that kind of stuff too which is probably why I have never had someone ask me this before. This client was an usherette at a wedding I shot last summer and she was part of the day from salon to afterbar. She has seen every shot from that day and knows how I roll. she even requested that I bring the same 2nd shooter along because she liked the team. We did the whole contract by phone and email with a check in the mail and didn't meet again untill the e-session. I didn't do a lot of things with this client that I noremally would... shame on me! Funny thing is I did do quite a bit of detail shots at the other wedding... actually even won the wedding challenge here with a detail shot from that wedding! But I didn't get the brides shoes and she didn't have a cake or any fancy table decorations and whatnot. There wasn't a venue to photograph becuase it was on a resort in a tent. She wasn't requesting that I change anything I normally do, those are just some of the things she didn't see from me on that set, and I don't have much in the way of details in my port... need to add some of that!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    I always tell them I will do my best, but no promises. They have been pleased so far!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX