Options

Tools in Organizer...b0rked?

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited September 13, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Why is the tool icon in the organizer screen not working? I have tried 2 different sites w/ the same issue. No I have not made any changes... yes it worked the other day.:dunno
I'm using the latest version of FF.

Comments

• Options
    yaypieyaypie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2014
    Why is the tool icon in the organizer screen not working? I have tried 2 different sites w/ the same issue. No I have not made any changes... yes it worked the other day.ne_nau.gif
    I'm using the latest version of FF.

We just pushed out a massive update to the image editing tools. You may need to clear your browser's cache to make sure you're getting the new JavaScript. If you still have trouble after clearing your cache and reloading the page, let us know!
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    yaypie wrote: »
    We just pushed out a massive update to the image editing tools. You may need to clear your browser's cache to make sure you're getting the new JavaScript. If you still have trouble after clearing your cache and reloading the page, let us know!

Is there any info anywhere on how the changes affect the tools?
    Edit: I found it in the blog... however I seldom read the blog... I read this forum...
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Is there any info anywhere on how the changes affect the tools?

Yep! The new tools are documented here: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1555555-can-i-edit-my-photos-after-i-upload-them-

I'm sure there will also be more details coming soon in a blog post. We literally just pushed these changes out the door a matter of minutes before you discovered them. :)
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Oh, look at that, there's already a blog post too! http://news.smugmug.com/2014/05/21/the-all-new-in-smugmug-photo-editor/
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Oh, look at that, there's already a blog post too! http://news.smugmug.com/2014/05/21/the-all-new-in-smugmug-photo-editor/

Ya I get the sarcasm... as I said I frequent the forum not the blogs. What about posting it here... http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62 ?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2014
    The most used tool is crop thumbnail, where did it go?

Edit: if this is no longer available it will be a disaster for me.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Looks like you completely destroyed adding lat and long to location data.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    OOOOOOOOOOO... trouble now. Design pros once again b0rked the pooch on a release... Allen's all over it now. Thanks Allen!
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Ya I get the sarcasm... as I said I frequent the forum not the blogs. What about posting it here... http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62 ?

Wasn't being sarcastic. I had no idea the blog post was up until a coworker mentioned it to me. :)
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    WTH, they removed the bulk caption/keyword edit!!! Now you do each one at a time on separate pages.
    No more adding/fixing both on same page. Productivity just went down 50%. No search and replace, no
    add to empty captions/KW's, etc.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    WTH, they removed the bulk caption/keyword edit!!! Now you do each one at a time on separate pages.
    No more adding/fixing both on same page. Who is the idiot that came up with these changes. Productivity
    just went down 50%. No search and replace, no add to empty captions/KW's, etc.

Nope, the bulk edit functionality is still there. If you select multiple images in the Organizer and then open the image edit tools, you can edit captions/keywords in bulk.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    This is a joke, right? You have to singly select one photo at a time add KW then unselect, select another, add KW.

I almost always copy part of the caption and paste into the KW. Now editing KW's I have no caption to see
    what KW's need added.

If I have have a misspelling in either captions or keywords there's no way to bulk fix.
  • Options
    kgphotoskgphotos Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2014
    No more adding/fixing both on same page. Who is the idiot that came up with these changes. Productivity

Allen,
    I just chatted with a smugmug hero. He said to do the thumbnail square format, you go into gallery- settings- appearance and turn on square thumbnails. I was thrown off guard when I uploaded my photos tonight. It used to be under the wrench icon. It would be nice if they told us about the new changes ahead of time before they push it out. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Nope, the bulk edit functionality is still there. If you select multiple images in the Organizer and then open the image edit tools, you can edit captions/keywords in bulk.
    There is no bulk. Only if you add the same caption or keyword to every selected photo.

Every one of my captions are different, same for KW's so I have to select one at a time, ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    This is a joke, right? You have to singly select one photo at a time add KW then unselect, select another, add KW.

I almost always copy part of the caption and paste into the KW. Now editing KW's I have no caption to see
    what KW's need added.

If I have have a misspelling in either captions or keywords there's no way to bulk fix.

Adding keywords this new way is a pain. I always copied and paste.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited May 21, 2014
    We've been asking for the ability to edit titles at the same time as keywords and captions - bulk, as in the old way of doing bulk. Assigning all three entries on the same window is something I would love to have.

The new tool has lost the ability to assign different captions and keywords to all of the photos in a gallery at a single time.
    Well, not at the same instant in time - but it was quick to add different captions to each photo in the gallery in the bulk edit tool.

There is no longer appears to be a reasonable way to quickly caption all photos in a gallery with a different caption on each photo.

It looks like the keyword functionality is usable (once I adapted to the new way of doing things).

Yes, the new tool is pretty. But the bulk caption functionality does not feel as functional as the old.

>>> since I wrote this post I did some more playing. I found an error in the way I tried to use the tool initially - I had selected all of the photos. I have since discovered that I needed to select only one photo, select titles and captions. I entered title/caption, save, next, etc. The UI flowed well - but it took longer to go through a full gallery since I needed to save on each photo. Still better than my initial impression, much more usable.

--- Denise
  • Options
    bigbenwillywillbigbenwillywill Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 21, 2014
    Thanks for the changes everyone, I like them. Feels fleshed out and thought through.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2014
    kgphotos wrote: »
    Adding keywords this new way is a pain. I always copied and paste.

I was actually getting close to unveiling my new smug site. I've been spending more time in newsmug than legacy lately because of some of the positive changes they've made. Now I just came across this, trying to get to the bulk caption/keyword tool in the organizer. The first thing I did was switch back to legacy and make sure it still works there! Whew, what a relief!

Smugmug, please go into the bulk caption keyword tool in legacy and take a look at how it works and what it can do. Now go into the new tool and make it do all those things, but better! Unless I'm missing something, the new tool would slow me WAY down. What a joke. Do you guys use beta testers that actually use smugmug?

Dave
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    kgphotos wrote: »
    Allen,
    I just chatted with a smugmug hero. He said to do the thumbnail square format, you go into gallery- settings- appearance and turn on square thumbnails. I was thrown off guard when I uploaded my photos tonight. It used to be under the wrench icon. It would be nice if they told us about the new changes ahead of time before they push it out. headscratch.gif

I size every thumb to show subject in Smugmug style which are almost always very small in the photo. Full size square thumbs are useless. Here's an example:

Thumb
    IMG_0481_7D2-1-Th.jpg
    photo
    IMG_0481_7D2-1-S.jpg
    This is what without cropping a thumb would look like.
    IMG_1879_7D2-1-Th.jpg
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2014
    How do I crop a thumbnail now? Did Allen get an answer? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    How do I crop a thumbnail now?
    From the photo in lightbox, Tools... Open in editor, crop.
    Or from organizer, select the photo, wrench icon, crop.

but OOPS! it's been pointed out to me that this crops the image, not the thumb. Sorry for the incorrect answer...

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Thanks, Denise. So if I have the image displayed in gallery mode, I have to jump out to the Lightbox or Organiser - I can no longer do this on the spot.

Edit: Uh-oh, Denise, that's not how I'm seeing it! This rollout is looking like another disaster.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Thanks, Denise. So if I have the image displayed in gallery mode, I have to jump out to the Lightbox or Organiser - I can no longer do this on the spot.
    If you have a gallery in smugmug style you can get there from the wrench icon under the large photo - wrench icon, open in editor, crop.

but OOPS! it's been pointed out to me that this crops the image, not the thumb. Sorry for the incorrect answer...

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014

--- Denise

Are you sure that only crops thumb and not image?
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Are you sure that only crops thumb and not image?
    oh crap, sorry!

I'll correct my post...

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Why were these changes not announced in the SmugMug Product News section? When I found these latest functions had been re-engineered, that's where i went to get the information I needed, as i had been told I should have done by moraine at the time of the dysfunctional Lightbox changes.

Have the lessons from that experience been learned? It seems not, unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Why is the tool icon in the organizer screen not working?
    It appears you now need to select one or images to activate this.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    It appears you now need to select one or images to activate this.

Ya I figured that out eventually. Still wondering why not post on the forum.
    Also wondering why every major roll out is a huge cluster f.
    Functionality is destroyed everytime. I think it's time for new user interface developers. Fancy is not always better.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    I talked with a smugmug hero using the livechat on their help page. He told me to do the smug square thumbnail you select the gallery then go into settings-appearance- and turn on square thumbs. I think once that setting is on it applies to all images in the gallery. I uploaded some photos tonight and the gallery that the photos were in did not have square thumbs on. Once I turned it on, the photos that I uploaded did go to the square smug thumbnail. I really liked it the old way better. I wish they would tell us about these new changes before pushing them out.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    Why were these changes not announced in the SmugMug Product News section? When I found these latest functions had been re-engineered, that's where i went to get the information I needed, as i had been told I should have done by moraine at the time of the dysfunctional Lightbox changes.

Have the lessons from that experience been learned? It seems not, unfortunately.

Why can't they tell us about them before pushing them out. I found out by the online chat it had with the hero. He pointed me to their blog. Uhm, I come here before reading their blog. Or I read it when I get the email. Here's the link http://news.smugmug.com

-Karen

My website: http://www.karengrantphotography.com