Crop tool - unusable?

jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited August 14, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I normally don't use smugmug to edit my photos, but I was viewing an old photo that I had scanned and posted. I noticed there was some white border on 2 of the sides (the original is the left hand one in the screenshot below), so I decided to just crop those online. After doing an "open in editor" and "crop", (screenshot below) the crop tool creates a small image, (while the original image is still shown) so it's difficult to be very precise in your cropping. Secondly, and most inexplicably, the crop tool image places a white border around the image. What is that for? :dunno Obviously I'm not going to be able to crop out my white border, unless I just guess how far I need to crop!

This seems to be a really poor execution of a crop tool!

Untitled%203-L.jpg

Comments

• TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2014
    The crop tool uses the white border to show where the crop will be. Have you seen this help page about cropping yet?

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93292-can-i-crop-uploaded-photos-?b_id=1644

I can tell you that some users feel more comfortable using the PicMonkey developer for cropping when the cropping that needs to be done in such a tight area.

wrench icon > develop with PicMonkey > crop

Your other option would be to download the image and edit in your photo editor and replace.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero