Shooting Fee question

zonaphotoszonaphotos Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited November 9, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I have been taking pictures of dance recitals for a couple of years without charging the studio a shooting fee or any sort of contract, and the studio will download a couple for their website.

Now, they want unlimited photos for online/print marketing, but don't want to pay the commercial download price. They are willing to add captions and watermarks, should a charge them a shooting fee to let then access all the photos?

I know some photographers charge a shooting fee and give the studio 10-20% of all profits, but does this arrangement include the studio using the photos?

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Note: I do not have a clear idea of what your relationship with the dance studio has been or why / what prompted them to request this change.

A question or three. Are you selling the images now? Are you making any money, or is this just for fun?

If you take the images at your own expense and then give all the images to the studio so they can then put them online and sell them, how in the world are you going to be able to sell them? Even if your not selling them why would you give the studio your images to sell?

Also a commercial download does not normally include rights to resell the images.

If it were me I absolutely wouldn't give them any images for resale. If they want images to resell they can hire me for a nogotiated fee.

Sam
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    I have never heard of the studio selling the images but if they want them to market their studio on web sites or on printed self promo material, that would be different.

I have never paid commissions so I'm happy and even offer them images for their own use. This is always after all the sales to the parents/ kids have been made so I'm not worried about loosing anything.
    At the end of the day, the bigger they fan build their school the more potential earnings for me next year.
    Plus it's a valued added for them having me there in the first place that doesn't take cash out of my pocket.

If you are paying a commission on what you sell or a fee to be there, then I'd say there is some room to negotiate.
    If they are just going to use them for their own marketing and not to sell to the kids, then I wouldn't care at all about " unlimited" downloads. they can download all they like but they will only put so many on their site and only fit so many on a printed brochure or the like.
  • zonaphotoszonaphotos Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Glort wrote: »
    I have never heard of the studio selling the images but if they want them to market their studio on web sites or on printed self promo material, that would be different.

I have never paid commissions so I'm happy and even offer them images for their own use. This is always after all the sales to the parents/ kids have been made so I'm not worried about loosing anything.
    At the end of the day, the bigger they fan build their school the more potential earnings for me next year.
    Plus it's a valued added for them having me there in the first place that doesn't take cash out of my pocket.

If you are paying a commission on what you sell or a fee to be there, then I'd say there is some room to negotiate.
    If they are just going to use them for their own marketing and not to sell to the kids, then I wouldn't care at all about " unlimited" downloads. they can download all they like but they will only put so many on their site and only fit so many on a printed brochure or the like.

They are not planning on selling my photos at all. Glort - do you charge the studio for the downloads?
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    zonaphotos wrote: »
    They are not planning on selling my photos at all. Glort - do you charge the studio for the downloads?

I haven't sold dance pics online.
    Frankly, i think if that's the only way your doing it, your really missing out on a lot of earnings from the studio.
    I have a Dance studio shoot coming up next week and I'll be doing onsite orders with my V stations as well as sending a proof book later AND putting them online.

I will be giving the studio a CD of all the pics ( or at least the best ones) for free.
    As i said, I won't be paying commissions so if I can just help them out with their promotions, I think that's cheap and effective good will. :D