Create a backup of your SmugMug customisations

124»

Comments

• ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    Currently, my laptop screen is tall enough to show 4.5 at a time. I'll add an option for shrinking the heights

Will this tool fill the screen so that the user sees - guessing - up to 20-30 thumbs? Sometimes I don't need to see the actual image - I'm aware a gallery has such and such content, and what I will edit will be on all images or most images, and so it's to my advantage to see as much of the keyword/caption text volume as possible, since that's what I'm reading and changing.

I will lay odds that Baldy's comment that this tool got a lot of criticism, may have had to do with the either the tool being slow for large volumes of photos, and/or the requirement that to see which photos had which keywords, one had to scroll and scroll, and then scroll and scroll. Lots. Make edits, Preview, scroll and scroll to check correctness and determine next set of edits.

Now that I wrote that, it occurs me that what would solve that problem is if one opened up the tool and saw this:

Work by choosing one of these:

A. Click an individual keyword: dog, bird, fowl, lake, boat
    B Click a subset (all photos that contain the same keywords)
    1. dog, bird, fowl, lake
    2. dog
    3. lake, boat, dog
    C. Select all
    D. Click individual photos and edit as usual

That would allow a person to click any of the subsets and then make the edits on them alone. THAT way one would not need to scroll and scroll, if you didn't need to view the photos directly first.
    edited May 28, 2014
    40 characters for a filename was pulled out of a hat. I probably have stupid names that exceed that, because I'm not good at filenaming. :D
    edited May 28, 2014
    Oh - but you know what else is great about your tool? You show us the file extension.
    I'm constantly unhappy in Organizer mode not to be able to see the file extension without putting the image in lightbox mode.

So if you have to have a cut-off point for number of characters in a filename, which I will guess would mean part of the name will go into "..." mode, can the file extension remain visible?
    edited May 28, 2014
    You get me so excited, Nicholas. :D
    What are the chances your system could work on keywords only, the way Legacy allowed that?
    Allen makes collected galleries for his keywords, so he's making up tons of galleries just so he can edit keywords.

The ability to adjust a keyword in all galleries simultaneously - really, Smugmug's search and replace tools in Legacy must have been the best in the world.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,010 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    40 characters for a filename was pulled out of a hat. I probably have stupid names that exceed that, because I'm not good at filenaming. :D
    It looks like he just made it wrap to more lines.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited May 28, 2014
    You get me so excited, Nicholas. :D
    What are the chances your system could work on keywords only, the way Legacy allowed that?
    Allen makes collected galleries for his keywords, so he's making up tons of galleries just so he can edit keywords.

The ability to adjust a keyword in all galleries simultaneously - really, Smugmug's search and replace tools in Legacy must have been the best in the world.
    I have ONE hidden smart gallery I use for keyword corrections. Just a mater of changing the smart rules each time.

It collects across all galleries. But a smart gallery has a limit of 1000 photos. So might
    have to run it multiple times. I've already split one KW into multiples.

warblers split into
    warblers_2007_down warblers_2008_09 warblers_2010_11 warblers_2012_up
    edited May 28, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    I have ONE hidden smart gallery I use for keyword corrections. Just a mater of changing the smart rules each time.

It collects across all galleries. But a smart gallery has a limit of 1000 photos. So might
    have to run it multiple times. I've already split one KW into multiples.

warblers split into
    warblers_2007_down warblers_2008_09 warblers_2010_11 warblers_2012_up

Thanks for the clarification.

Allen, you said on some other thread that you were currently unable to use Nicholas' tool in Chrome and access the Legacy keyword program - or that it didn't have the full functionality? What did you say is the problem? Now that the add-on is working for me, I don't see anything missing in the Legacy mode.
    edited May 28, 2014
    raebrown, that's actually the old bulk-editor from SmugMug Legacy which my plugin is keeping available for us on New SmugMug. I'm in the process of building a replacement for it which will also support editing the Title field, here's what it looks like so far:

Bo5wM2Sh.png

I should be able to publish a version of the extension which contains this new bulk editor in a couple of days.

Nicholas, in the flurry of excitement over losing the bulk editing keyword function, I've been using your tool to access the legacy tool and doing some fast keyword updating. Doing so brought back a lot of memories about that tool. I loved and love it and will defend it to the death, but I recall also that Smugmug went through continual keyword programming glitches, especially with regards to separators, collapsing numbers, and quite a few problems over the years.

I also remember that using the legacy tool was like solving a puzzle, because one would add or remove something, and look and see new errors had occurred. There was a logic to fixing them, something like, okay, adding a new term at the end with 2 words would collapse the current last word with the new last word, no separator, so next you replace that mushed term with the two words separated by the semicolon. One had to fix the fix of the fix of the fix. It produced a strange experience of "when will they fix this" + "boy I'm good at keyword fixing, this tool can handle it, sort of."

[EDIT ADDING: there are still glitches in the legacy tool, the editing is not error-free, even today.]

Anyway, my question is, now that that history came back to me, I see in your sample image you have one, one-word keyword, with no separator. Um, errr, afraid to ask here but -- how'd the testing go for multiple word keywords, adding, removing, changing them, searching and replacing the last word of one multi-keyword keyword, and the first word of a multi-keyword keyword, with something else. Also removing or working with only the separator. (Which - what is that supposed to be now, the semicolon? - or quotes - or a variety of symbols that should work no matter which combination you use.)

{holding my breath, afraid for the answer}
    edited May 28, 2014
    The legacy editor was also case sensitive, so you had to replace KW's twice, one cap and one non-cap
    as some of my KW's were pasted from the caption. Does this happen in this new tool?

The captions have to be case sensitive but not the KW's.
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2014
    Allen: Is it useful for replacements in captions to be case-sensitive?

For sure the keyword replacements aren't case-sensitive in this new tool, since keywords themselves are not case sensitive.
    edited May 29, 2014
    Allen: Is it useful for replacements in captions to be case-sensitive?

For sure the keyword replacements aren't case-sensitive in this new tool, since keywords themselves are not case sensitive.
    Captions can sometimes include a lot of proper names so I would think case sensitive is important.

BTW, every since I disabled 0.3.5 and enabled the beta 0.4.0.1 all my gallery settings the right side are below the left menu. Disabling the beta it continues that way. Takes 3 browser zoom outs (cntl -) to see cancel and save buttons at bottom.
    edited May 29, 2014

I think that would be a bulk keyword editor rather than a bulk photo editor, and would need to be a separate tool. That could be added too.
    edited May 29, 2014
    Okay cool, I suppose I'll make those caption/title replacements case-sensitive.
    It looks like he just made it wrap to more lines.

Yup, filenames just keep on going and going, there's no limit to length. This is since I figure that most filenames have their significant differences in their final digits, so they're useless if you cut them off with a "...".
    BTW, every since I disabled 0.3.5 and enabled the beta 0.4.0.1 all my gallery settings the right side are below the left menu. Disabling the beta it continues that way. Takes 3 browser zoom outs (cntl -) to see cancel and save buttons at bottom.

The extension can't continue to affect Chrome when it is disabled, this must be due to some other change.
    edited May 29, 2014
    I think that would be a bulk keyword editor rather than a bulk photo editor, and would need to be a separate tool. That could be added too.
    A smart gallery using a keyword to draw photos from the whole site acts like a regular gallery in the
    legacy bulk tool. I think she was referring to a /keyword type page.
    edited May 29, 2014
    I've posted a new topic about the bulk-editing tool, it's now available in the beta version of the extension:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1955899#post1955899
    edited May 29, 2014
    A smart gallery using a keyword to draw photos from the whole site acts like a regular gallery in the
    legacy bulk tool. I think she was referring to a /keyword type page.

Yes, definitely talking about the gallery-type function for keywords.
    Funny how the legacy method details have faded, but as I recall if you clicked a keyword, from that results page, you... did something ... to go in to bulk keyword edit mode...

Allen - what did one have to do to get to bulk edit from a keyword page?
    edited May 29, 2014
    Yes, definitely talking about the gallery-type function for keywords.
    Funny how the legacy method details have faded, but as I recall if you clicked a keyword, from that results page, you... did something ... to go in to bulk keyword edit mode...

Allen - what did one have to do to get to bulk edit from a keyword page?
    The bulk edit captions/keywords was in the tools drop. Sometime after NewSmug this tool stopped
    working for a /keyword/...KW... gallery in both legacy and NewSmug. It worked for regular galleries.
    edited June 6, 2014
    Just have to thank you again for this back-up-your-site tool. I gave a link to a visitor and suggested she check out something, and she wrote back, what I see makes no sense. So I went to the gallery to check, and lo and behold the content was wrong, it was from another gallery. Sure enough I had copied in the wrong HTML at some point. Gulping, I bee-lined to the most recent backup from about 7 days ago, and the correct material was available. Fantastic.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,176 moderator
    edited June 7, 2014
    The bulk edit captions/keywords was in the tools drop. Sometime after NewSmug this tool stopped
    working for a /keyword/...KW... gallery in both legacy and NewSmug. It worked for regular galleries.

Allen, the old bulk keyword and caption tool is still fully functional in legacy SM. I just used it a few minutes ago.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited June 7, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Allen, the old bulk keyword and caption tool is still fully functional in legacy SM. I just used it a few minutes ago.
    They also just added it back to NewSmug.
    edited June 7, 2014
    They also just added it back to NewSmug.

Not seeing it in new ne_nau.gif Do you mean there's a tool in New SM where I can see all keywords for all photos, and their thumbs in a gallery all at once?
    My Smugmug
    edited June 7, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Not seeing it in new ne_nau.gif Do you mean there's a tool in New SM where I can see all keywords for all photos, and their thumbs in a gallery all at once?
    Oops, wrong tool. It was the bulk thumbnail crop tool they temporarily put back.

The only way on NewSmug is using thenickdude's extension for Chrome to edit all captions and KW's on one page.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247377
    edited June 7, 2014
    Oops, wrong tool. It was the bulk thumbnail crop tool they temporarily put back.

The only way on NewSmug is using thenickdude's extension for Chrome to edit all captions and KW's on one page.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247377

Right. The new "temporary" thumb crop tool they just put up does work. Found that tonight too. I don't use the thumb cropping feature very often, but nice to see it once again. Birders like you need that, as the comp in nature shots rarely have the subject dead center.

Nick is one creative and responsive guy. I don't use Chrome though, but might if the usability of the older bulk tool never reappears in New SM. I haven't published yet, so that allows me to use tools in both new and old worlds.
    My Smugmug
    edited June 8, 2014
    Hey everyone,

I've now updated the extension to version 0.4.0.7, which you can install from the Chrome Web Store:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unofficial-smugmug-extens/acobflahofemoblocddilbgnokclnphd

New in this version of the extension is the ability to use it on your custom SmugMug domain name (instead of having to switch to your .smugmug.com one).

If you have an older version of the extension already installed (0.3.5), Chrome will automatically update you to the new version in a few hours. Or if you can't wait, you can click Chrome's menu, then Tools->Extensions. Tick the "developer mode" tickbox at the top right of the screen, then click the "Update extensions now" button. You should see the version number next to the extension change to 0.4.0.7 after a minute or so.

Note that the location of the "SM" icon has shifted outside of the address bar in this version, it is now found to the right of the address bar.
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2014
    Just wanted to say thanks for this extension! You just saved me! I was testing a change to a css content block in all galleries and after publishing, the entire CSS content block went blank. I dread the idea that this is a new CSS destroying bug. But after reloading the page over and over in multiple browsers assuming it wasn't really gone, I remembered I backed up 3 weeks ago. Back in business. Thanks!

Dave
    edited August 17, 2015
    Nicholas, a question about how to "open" one of the backup files? I accidentally pasted HTML into the CSS side of an HTML content block, and saved the page, and then discovered the horror of it all. I could not figure out how to open the last saved backup I had done. I dragged the file onto a browser window, which did open massive amounts of code. I was able to find the bit of what I needed, EXCEPT there were tons of nasty characters mixed into the code. Specifically:
    "CSS": ".ss-sitemap {\n  font-size: 18px;\n  line-height: 1.25;\n}\n\n@media only screen and (min-width: 1024px) {\n  .ss-sitemap {\n    -webkit-column-count: 2;\n    -moz-column-count: 2;\n    column-count: 2;\n  }\n\n}\n\n.ss-sitemap > dd > dl > dt > a {\n  color: #000080;\n}\n\n\n.ss-sitemap > dd {\n  -webkit-column-break-inside: avoid;\n  \n  \n  break-inside: avoid;\n  display: block;\n  font-size: 95%;\n  color: #02FC0A;\n  margin-bottom: 1em;\n  padding-left: 1px ;\n}\n\n\n.ss-sitemap dd dd {\n  margin-left: 1em;\n  font-size: 95%;\n  padding-left: 2px ;\n}\n\n\n.ss-sitemap dl {\n  margin-bottom: 0.5em;\n}\n\na:hover {\n  color: #217AF8 !important;\n}\n\na:visited {\n  color: #660000 !important;\n}\n\n#box {\n  background-color:#FBFFBE;  \n  box-shadow: 0px 0px 6px 1px #000000; \n  padding: 15px; \n  margin-right: 20px;\n}\n\nimg {\n    float: right;\n    margin: 0 0 5px 5px;\n    padding: 15px;\n    background-color: #FCFFCE;\n    box-shadow: 0px 0px 3px 0px #828076;\n}",

As you can tell, this bit is mostly the code that gets autogenerated from the "list galleries" functionality in your tool. So it was easier for me to look at the tool itself and pull the code there, then tweak the rest.

Am I completely missing how to open one of the backups, so that I see the same content that one sees when you first run the tool, replete with your fields etc? If not, is there something amiss with all the added junk letters and characters that populate the backup? Thanks and here's to hoping..
  • Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2015
    thenickdude Thank you very much for your backup plugin. Seriously I had planned to take a manual backup of all my changes so many times...but that never got far. With your tool though I am pretty certain that I will be able to make backups of my site about once a month...

So thanks a lot for that!
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
    edited August 22, 2015
    Nicholas a very kind dgrinner gave me the method. I am such an idiot sometimes. For other who may suffer from a similar disorder, here are the instructions:

"In order to open one of the backup files you need to login to your smugmug site in Chrome, click onto the SM button to «start» Nickolas’ extension and allow it to access your site (same way you did when you first used the plugin to create your backup). After that you’ll get to see a menu behind the SM button containing an entry «Create/View Backup» click on that one. Now instead of your site you’ll get a basically white site with a menu. Click on «Open backup file …» and choose the file you want to open in the file-explorer window. The file will open and you’ll see a directory-tree on the left side containing the structure of your website (folders, galleries, pages…). In there you’ll find on the bottom of the list your general site designs while your folder/gallery/page specific customizations will be shown once you go to the specific folder/gallery/page. Those settings will be shown in the middle of the page and you’ll find your HTML codes, your CSS and all the settings to that particular page here."

bowdown.gifwings.gifbowdown.gif
    Nicholas, a question about how to "open" one of the backup files? I accidentally pasted HTML into the CSS side of an HTML content block, and saved the page, and then discovered the horror of it all. I could not figure out how to open the last saved backup I had done. I dragged the file onto a browser window, which did open massive amounts of code. I was able to find the bit of what I needed, EXCEPT there were tons of nasty characters mixed into the code. Specifically:
    "CSS": ".ss-sitemap {\n  font-size: 18px;\n  line-height: 1.25;\n}\n\n@media only screen and (min-width: 1024px) {\n  .ss-sitemap {\n    -webkit-column-count: 2;\n    -moz-column-count: 2;\n    column-count: 2;\n  }\n\n}\n\n.ss-sitemap > dd > dl > dt > a {\n  color: #000080;\n}\n\n\n.ss-sitemap > dd {\n  -webkit-column-break-inside: avoid;\n  \n  \n  break-inside: avoid;\n  display: block;\n  font-size: 95%;\n  color: #02FC0A;\n  margin-bottom: 1em;\n  padding-left: 1px ;\n}\n\n\n.ss-sitemap dd dd {\n  margin-left: 1em;\n  font-size: 95%;\n  padding-left: 2px ;\n}\n\n\n.ss-sitemap dl {\n  margin-bottom: 0.5em;\n}\n\na:hover {\n  color: #217AF8 !important;\n}\n\na:visited {\n  color: #660000 !important;\n}\n\n#box {\n  background-color:#FBFFBE;  \n  box-shadow: 0px 0px 6px 1px #000000; \n  padding: 15px; \n  margin-right: 20px;\n}\n\nimg {\n    float: right;\n    margin: 0 0 5px 5px;\n    padding: 15px;\n    background-color: #FCFFCE;\n    box-shadow: 0px 0px 3px 0px #828076;\n}",

As you can tell, this bit is mostly the code that gets autogenerated from the "list galleries" functionality in your tool. So it was easier for me to look at the tool itself and pull the code there, then tweak the rest.

Am I completely missing how to open one of the backups, so that I see the same content that one sees when you first run the tool, replete with your fields etc? If not, is there something amiss with all the added junk letters and characters that populate the backup? Thanks and here's to hoping..
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,908 moderator
    edited September 30, 2015
    I just finished migrating and only recently discovered all the terrific stuff you've done. I used your index number on hover in all my collage galleries, and just when I was thinking that I need to backup my new site customizations, I remembered that you had done something for that as well. I just installed and ran it and it seems to have worked perfectly.

Many, many thanks. clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
  • Su2zSu2z Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2015
    I've just installed! Thank you so much clap.gif