Options

Failed password attempts

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited March 23, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I get an email like this every day or two now. It's a little unnerving, but that's life - no problem there - I like getting the emails.

I was wondering if, after a certain number of failed attempts from the same IP address, do you notify the person that an email like this has been sent? Something like:
We see you're having trouble accessing this gallery. We've sent an email to the photographer with your IP address and other general information. If you have forgtten the password to this gallery, please contact the photographer as well.
I think that'd have a nice effect to folks that genuinely forgot or mis-entered the password, and a chilling effect to would-be Peeping Toms.

What does it do now for repeat password fails?

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    It doesn't say anything, it just continues to say "That password isn't quite right. Passwords are cAsE senSiTivE." like it does on the first attempt (you can try this out for yourself by attempting it in your browser's Incognito, or Private Browsing mode, where you won't be logged in to SmugMug).
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    Those that have migrated to the new SmugMug can customize their password pages and put that kind of message on them from the get go. My personal site for example has a number of password protected albums for family members, so the message I put on my password page is different than a working pro would. You can see it at work here. More info on customizing system pages.

Perhaps we (SmugMug) could add a css class to the page when it's a repeated failure? That would allow you to css style it up to be more prominent.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    SabotimagesSabotimages Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2014
    I actually kind of enjoy their attempts and the notifications. It comforts me that I am using good passwords for security that only dedicated hackers can bypass. I am thinking of making a boudoir gallery with a guessable password with only pictures of my tant, butt crack and feet since most of them see to be looking for boudoir and nude women.
    Photographer Ed Devereaux
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2014
    I actually kind of enjoy their attempts and the notifications. It comforts me that I am using good passwords for security that only dedicated hackers can bypass. I am thinking of making a boudoir gallery with a guessable password with only pictures of my tant, butt crack and feet since most of them see to be looking for boudoir and nude women.

hahaha that would be awesome!