Options

How to handle a large influx of scanned images

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited October 20, 2016 in SmugMug Support
I recently broke down and ordered the 1000 scan box from ScanCafe. I am excited because I went through on old drawer of photos, looking at many, but simply adding boxes of negatives or slides just waiting for the gems that may result.

Perhaps not the most efficient way, but there will be a mix of years, people, and places.

So I will get back 1000 or so scans, and I will open a new gallery and dump them all into Smugmug - my first desire.

Now, how do I best sub divide into different galleries without reuploading? I can go through and add key words on all but then how do I sort into new galleries from the keyword?

My goal is to upload once, the divide the uploaded gallerie into relevant sub galleries?

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited October 13, 2016
    Zanotti wrote: »
    how do I best sub divide into different galleries without reuploading? I can go through and add key words on all but then how do I sort into new galleries from the keyword?
    You can create galleries based on keywords.

See the help page Can I create galleries based on keywords?

--- Denise
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2016
    The move function in the Organizer works well for easily moving batches of photos from one gallery to another.

Load everything into a source gallery.
    Create empty destination galleries where you want to parcel out the various photos.
    In the Organizer, highlight a batch of photos in the source gallery you want to move to given destination.
    Drag those photos to the new destination in the gallery tree at the left, and when the Move/Collect box pops up, choose Move.
    Repeat for each destination gallery.
    That's it.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2016
    This is essentially the workflow I had on even the old smugmug without the organizer. I would upload all the photos shot from the day into one gallery and then move the photos to the individual event galleries.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2016
    Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but I would get all those images straightened out on my computer first, in a program like Lightroom, including all metadata I would like them to have, such as title, caption, keywords, people names, map locations, copyright, filenames, anything I would like to enter or edit only once ever. Do a small upload test batch to make sure the info shows up online as you want it to.

Once they are all annotated and organized on the local computer, run a backup of all of that work.

Then upload to Smugmug in whatever structure is needed, even if it's just a matter of dumping them all into one big gallery, and later making smart galleries based on keywords or whatever.

But I think it is important to prep them on the local computer first, because then they carry the correct information inside them from that point on, no matter where you send them or who you send them to.

If they are not organized until after uploading into Smugmug, I think it would take longer, be harder to do, etc. If things haven't changed lately, I don't think you can even retrieve originals from Smugmug with the online annotation edits included. I'd much rather have that information live in the originals.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2016
    I agree with colourbox if you're going to be doing anything to your images before uploading. That's a much more extensive workflow which should be thought out end-to-end with the upload and publishing on sm as one of the pieces.

My volume was so high that if a shot wasn't perfect I just hid it--no post, no processing, just publish on sm and on to the next weekend of events.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!