Opinions needed

reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
edited September 15, 2010 in People
Reworking some older .nef files from last years Gothla event as I've learned a few things about processing since then.

These were shot with the 35-70 2.8 & D700 combo wide open at ISO 1250 1/250.

The issue I think I resolved is the skin tone which were a bit unnatural looking in my initial renderings.

873433761_vXw3E-L-3.jpg
873433706_TvzJf-L-3.jpg
873433399_W9cr9-L-3.jpg

I think most will agree that shooting dancers wearing black against black is a challenge withing itself let alone dealing with lighting issues. Still I prefer flashless for these types of events.
Thanks
Yo soy Reynaldo

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    She looks like she's having fun! Nice. But, just out of curiosity, why do you prefer flashless? A good flash might help separate the subject from the background and give you more creative control.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    MarkR wrote: »
    She looks like she's having fun! Nice. But, just out of curiosity, why do you prefer flashless? A good flash might help separate the subject from the background and give you more creative control.

Good question
    I suppose I could try sometime with the SB800 and a soft box but looking at some of my counterparts work with flash units I've come to the conclusion that it ruins the feel of the event not to mention other artifacts that occur.

No offense to Rich but same dancer, same event with flash unit and diffuser:

715803346_HbcK3-L.jpg
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    I will admit, that's not a flattering use of flash. However, I believe that better results can be obtained using flash, with a bit of practice and maybe some creative use of light modifiers. thumb.gif
    MarkR wrote: »
    I will admit, that's not a flattering use of flash. However, I believe that better results can be obtained using flash, with a bit of practice and maybe some creative use of light modifiers. thumb.gif

I'll have to give it go next year to see what results I get since I'll be going back to close range shooting vs using the 70-200 2.8 as I did this year.
    A flash would be useless at that distance.
    Maybe I'll rent the new 24-70 2.8 and experiment with flash to see if I can get decent results.
    Thanks
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    I like the pictures. You were shooting in a very tough environment. You have done a nice job getting good exposure, which reflects your skill and the excellent equipment you are using.

I agree with you that shooting without a flash really captures the mood of the event. I was shooting some portraits a couple weeks ago and needed to use a flash to balance the light. I found that by reducing the power by 2 to 3 stops, I was able to even the light and still keep a natural look. I'm not sure if the same approach would work inside, but it might be worth a try. I don't know if I would do it in a event like this because it will definitely affect the mood of the picture. Also, I prefer to be "invisible" when shooting an event and the flash has a way of drawing attention.
    Caspian wrote: »
    I like the pictures. You were shooting in a very tough environment. You have done a nice job getting good exposure, which reflects your skill and the excellent equipment you are using.

I agree with you that shooting without a flash really captures the mood of the event. I was shooting some portraits a couple weeks ago and needed to use a flash to balance the light. I found that by reducing the power by 2 to 3 stops, I was able to even the light and still keep a natural look. I'm not sure if the same approach would work inside, but it might be worth a try. I don't know if I would do it in a event like this because it will definitely affect the mood of the picture. Also, I prefer to be "invisible" when shooting an event and the flash has a way of drawing attention.
    My thoughts as well but I'm open to try new things such as stepping the flash down a bit but yes, I like to be transparent at these events as well as selective, meaning I don't care much for using the multi shoot mode either.

Do you have an example of the portrait you shot?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited September 15, 2010
    The pictures I took recently with the stopped down fill were some shots of my daughter's family and I haven't gotten the clearance to post them yet. When I do, I'll get them on SmugMug and put up a link. Here is a link to some dance recital shots that were in a dark auditorium. http://davidmcpherson.smugmug.com/Cincy-Dance
    The pictures I took recently with the stopped down fill were some shots of my daughter's family and I haven't gotten the clearance to post them yet. When I do, I'll get them on SmugMug and put up a link. Here is a link to some dance recital shots that were in a dark auditorium. http://davidmcpherson.smugmug.com/Cincy-Dance

Ah, not able to see them, they are password protected :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Ah, not able to see them, they are password protected :-)

I hate when I do that. The password for 2009 is: The Show and for 2010 is: Las Vegas. But, don't tell anybody.
    I hate when I do that. The password for 2009 is: The Show and for 2010 is: Las Vegas. But, don't tell anybody.

Ha ha, thanks
    I 'll keep quiet :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    You did a great job on these!
    I have a friend whose grand daughters are in dance and she just got a Canon 7D so I'm hoping she can get shots this good.
    Bravo!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    The costumes in your sets make for a nice contrast as well I should say.
    Black is pretty much the norm at these gothic events that I attend
    Yo soy Reynaldo