Transition Rural to Urban

livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
I have had to move from a rural location in NH (the best state) to down here right outside DC in College Park, MD, because I am enrolled at the University of Marylaad.

This urban streetscape has been very different and to be honest I'm tried of looking at off white cement.

Before spending hours on Google, which is where I'm headed after Dgrin. I figure I ask you, if you have any unique places to shot outside of DC where the setting is more rural. (state parks. ect.)

Ty

Comments

• shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    OUtside DC???!!
    First thought was Camp David, but you might get arrested! You're right next door to Virginia, tobacco country. I'm from MA., but I'm sure there are some beautiful old tobacco farms, old barns, drying sheds etc related to that crop, and other agricultural crops, for that matter.
    Just drive!
  • bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    :ivar Hello Ty
    I've spent many years of my life in Prince George's County Maryland. If you are interested in birds, the Patuxent Nat'l Wildlife center is very near. Of course Washington DC is just a few miles away. Civil and Revolutionary War sites are all over the area. Northern Virginia, probably 20 miles away abounds with Civil War and Revolutionary War sites along with nature and wildlife areas. There are historical towns/cities within 1 - 2 hours drive. Fredericksburg, Winchester Virginia. Harpers Ferry West Virginia. Baltimore, Annapolis and Frederick Maryland. You are in the center of a multitude of photographic opportunities. BS
    wings.gif
    I have had to move from a rural location in NH (the best state) to down here right outside DC in College Park, MD, because I am enrolled at the University of Marylaad.

This urban streetscape has been very different and to be honest I'm tried of looking at off white cement.

Before spending hours on Google, which is where I'm headed after Dgrin. I figure I ask you, if you have any unique places to shot outside of DC where the setting is more rural. (state parks. ect.)

Ty
  • livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    thank you my main problem is i only have public transporation no car

and in the summer travel: my bicycle which i can ride 80 miles a day but that only gives me a 40 miles radius which is no much.

Ty
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 27, 2007
    Stop trying to shoot landscapes in the city. Look for the thing that makes the urban streetscape alive, the people. In cities it's all about the people and what they leave behind. Consider them the trees and flowers of the urban environment.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    It may sound a little strange, but I visited a cemetary last weekend because I noticed how they had recently pruned all the Canary (I think) palms they had. I got out to take some shots and was absolutely amazed how many birds were in the ancient, huge trees. I sat on a bench and spent hours shooting birds. I saw species of birds (both Western and Eastern bluebirds) that in all my years of living in this county I had never seen except in a book. I knew the cemetary had beautiful, old headstones, but I never expected the added surprise of it being literally a bird sanctuary.

132478973-M.jpg

132519344-S.jpg
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Heh, I did the opposite. I'm from MD (Bethesda, just about 10 miles west on the Beltway) and I go to college in a rural area of NC. How far as you willing to go? There's Rock Creek Park (just don't go after dark...or very early in the morning - it's not really dangerous, in fact mostly even safer than College Park, but at night it's just so vast that it has its share of...incidences) and there's also Seneca Creek Park. Poolesville is rural but not exactly worth the trip...unless you really like one lane roads and farms.

I think you should just change your outlook since unless you're willing to go out of your way there isn't much in the way of picturesque places (if you're willing to drive for more than 2 hours let me know and I'll name some places). So just head to Downtown Bethesda, or the real Downtown in DC(best movie theater in the area by the way is The Uptown in DC on Wisconsin Ave...best movie theater in DC/VA/MD/NJ/PA/pretty much any state except maybe CA and NY actually...it's not in Downtown though so you can drive here rather than take the metro, though the metro does have a stop right near it).

If there is anything in particular you are trying to find and you can't, let me know. Not only did I grow up in the DC area, but my dad's lived there since he was 6 years old or so. The great thing about that area is that we have EVERYTHING, there is no need for the internet.
    edited February 28, 2007
    thank you. I think im just gonna try new techniques and utlize what I have here in URBAN prison haha

one question... best open fiel shots and farm shots? that you would suggest bc I have a few shots I wanna try I just need the location thanks again!

Ty
  • S_LeeperS_Leeper Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Ummmm... going to college... have a camera... no car....
    I suspect there are plenty of classmates, especially ones you may want to have a romantic interlude with, who do have a car & would be will to drive (of course you will pay--ouch)... make sure you take a few pics of them too :-)

About an hour west is the start of the skyline drive/blue ridge parkway... lots of scenic overviews... lots of short hiking trails... slow driving... can be a nice day trip.
    http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/maps.htm
    I take lots of pictures--sometimes I make a photograph.

http://leeper.smugmug.com/
    edited March 2, 2007