Photography shops - Seattle, WA

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited February 21, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
Anyone in the Seattle area know of any nice sized decent photography shops? And, anyone who is ever interested in getting together to do some shooting who is around the area just let me know! I live in Everett, about 30 minutes north of downtown Seattle. Looking forward to meeting some people from the great Northwest!!

Comments

• BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Anyone in the Seattle area know of any nice sized decent photography shops? And, anyone who is ever interested in getting together to do some shooting who is around the area just let me know! I live in Everett, about 30 minutes north of downtown Seattle. Looking forward to meeting some people from the great Northwest!!
    Kenmore Camera is my recommendation. Others recommend Glazier's, but I've never been there.

Have you checked out the Western US Meetups thread? There's talk of a meetup in Seattle on the last page or two.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Glazers is the best.
    http://www.glazerscamera.com/

I picked up a good share of stuff there. I also frequented Cameras West in Tukwila. Here is a list of shops I found just doing a search:
    http://www.camerashops.us/local/wa.htm
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Believe me, Glaziers is by far the best.

Here's a tip I didn't find out until I was leaving. If you rent lighting equipment, they will put your rental cost towards the cost of buying new lighting equipment. I presume you'd have to rent the same equipment that you'd buy, but you can check with them. I'm not sure if the same thing goes for lenses. None the less you can rent nearly all lenses from Glazier's too. Best thing is that they're closed on Sunday. So if you rent a lens for Saturday you can pick it up on Friday after 3:00PM and return it on Monday before 10:00AM for only one day's rental charge. wings.gif

Reserve hot lenses a couple of weeks in advance. If you're a canon shooter these would be things like the 70-200 2.8L IS, the 50/1.2L, 85/1.2LII, etc. Just for an idea of cost, it'll run you $20 for the whole weekend with the 70-200 2.8 L IS. Oh and if you've landed that sweet gig shooting magazine covers you can rent the 1Ds mkII if you really want.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Well, I have to admit that you guys were right!! Today my wife and I took a trip into Seattle, stopping by Kenmore Camera, Glaziers, and then down to the locks. Kenmore reminded me more of the type of place I would go to look for something obscure. They had a lot of used stuff for pretty good prices. Glaziers on the other hand seems to have mostly new stuff. The people at Glaziers were wonderful, the gentleman at the Canon counter let me try out any of the lenses I wanted on a demo XTi they had right there, so I really got a feel for the reach of the different lenses.

I put a reservation down on a 70-200 for next weekend, and they said it would be $30, not $20. I think they may have raised their prices. But regardless, it's still a pretty good deal! And I'm going to do exactly what you said Mike and pick it up Friday afternoon and return it Monday morning. Only problem with that is dealing with rush hour traffic both Friday afternoon and Monday morning! But it'll be worth it.
  • jaymcjaymc Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2007
    Check out Northwest Photograhers website for your local photography needs!

- Jay mwink.gif