Options

New smugmug - simple previous / next photo navigation gone?

Comments

• Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    You've made at least three posts in 15 mins. I'm sure you could have put something on an "FAQ" page in that amount of time.

Yeah if I wanted my site to look amateurish. I'm talking about fixing the problems not going from a stable professional site to something that lacks functionality and looks shambolic (but has an FAQ). To be clear, I *haven't* migrated. I won't migrate till Smugmug or I have suitable workarounds for the issues I've encountered. So a FAQ explaining how to go from one photo to the next is of no use to me, or my customers. Thanks for your suggestion.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    You've made at least three posts in 15 mins. I'm sure you could have put something on an "FAQ" page in that amount of time.
    People aren't going to read "FAQ" pages unless they feel they have to. I cannot imagine people will opt to click on a separate FAQ page while they're trying to click through a gallery, or to find out how to use the lightbox view, etc. They're just going to say, "I know I should be able to just figure this out...now why doesn't it just work?" & if they get frustrated enough, they'll leave. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to help our viewers, but I see why site-owners are simply asking for some of this weird stuff to be changed rather than spending time writing up a page that no one will look at.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    People aren't going to read "FAQ" pages unless they feel they have to. I cannot imagine people will opt to click on a separate FAQ page while they're trying to click through a gallery, or to find out how to use the lightbox view, etc. They're just going to say, "I know I should be able to just figure this out...now why doesn't it just work?" & if they get frustrated enough, they'll leave.
    That's just one option and one option is better than no options and leaving customers. FAQ was just an example of a title. You could easily name it something more appropriate and direct.

I'm just trying to maybe help someone think of workarounds until SmugMug fixes the issue.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    HamsterHueyHamsterHuey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    My point is why punish your customers for something that is out of your control. Take control and help them.
    Or you could just stick to Legacy smugmug for now if you haven't made the mistake of unveiling as yet. It is far more functional and easier to use.

There isn't a single actual, useful feature in the new Smugmug that has made me want to unveil. Sure, it looks shiny and new and pretty, but if you look past basic design aesthetics, there has been a huge hit in basic functionality and they've made the entire browsing experience a lot more non intuitive which is just so wrong considering everyone visits a SmugMug site to browse through images.

The widget based customization is nice, though some of that is broken as well, but there is so much that is wrong with the new design choices that none of the new features can outweigh all the things you have to give up when unveiling to the new SmugMug. Just by way of example:

1) Captions - Far far worse in the new SmugMug
    2) Page layout in Gallery mode - Too much whitespace at the top. Captions and some of the thumbnails end up below the fold in Gallery mode. That is just wrong. Legacy SmugMug was perfect
    3) The entire Photo navigation and associate UI - Most of that is well documented in this thread
    4) Lack of javascript customization - The custom Javascript scripts in the Sticky on this forum were fantastic and transformed my site and made it even more easy to browse and use than the default Legacy Smugmug. Now I take 2 hits, lack of the JS customizations, and then the loss of the intuitive browsing features in the New Smugmug
    5) Friends & Family and Communities

I could go on. I'm all for improving SmugMug and I even support the idea behind the new release. But all the new stuff should have come IN ADDITION to the stuff above, not at the expense of it. There is no good argument for why these were taken away. None of it was necessary for them to be able to implement what they have.
    Unhappy SmugMug beta tester - http://smandal.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    On my site I added a text box to appear just above the big photo in the Smugmug style. (0 pixels top and bottom, 14 pt font, 80% width)

It says "Scroll down slightly to see captions. Use your keyboard arrow keys to go to prev / next photo."

Not very elegant, but it is simple and straightforward. But like my earlier post indicates, even this is useless for mobile viewing.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    On my site I added a text box to appear just above the big photo in the Smugmug style. (0 pixels top and bottom, 14 pt font, 80% width)

It says "Scroll down slightly to see captions. Use your keyboard arrow keys to go to prev / next photo."

Not very elegant, but it is simple and straightforward. But like my earlier post indicates, even this is useless for mobile viewing.
    But it works. From my Android phone it shows all galleries as thumbs anyway; at least my site.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    When you have clicked on an image and gone full screen, you can hit the ESC key to go back to the smaller view. Interestingly and not funny, is that I never saw the apparent small "X" to hit!!!!!! AHHHHH! Now I see it and now I don't...it disappears after a few seconds of viewing the larger image.....arggggg. But, anyway, I found ESC to work. You can also hit ESC to get out of the slideshow function showing the larger images. When leaving the slideshow with ESC and then leaving the large image with ESC causes the thumbs to not advance to pages selected with the tool at the bottom of the thumbs. A ticket has been opened on that bug already.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    When you have clicked on an image and gone full screen, you can hit the ESC key to go back to the smaller view. Interestingly and not funny, is that I never saw the apparent small "X" to hit!!!!!! AHHHHH! Now I see it and now I don't...it disappears after a few seconds of viewing the larger image.....arggggg. But, anyway, I found ESC to work. You can also hit ESC to get out of the slideshow function showing the larger images. When leaving the slideshow with ESC and then leaving the large image with ESC causes the thumbs to not advance to pages selected with the tool at the bottom of the thumbs. A ticket has been opened on that bug already.
    I can guarantee you that there are going to be users and clients who click on a photograph to go into the full screen mode, only to then panic when they can't figure out how to get back to the original gallery and will eventually just close their browser/tab and say to hell with it.

Legacy Smugmug - A clickable hyperlink with the word "Close" at the top right, which is always persistent in the full screen toolbar. Also, the ability to click on the full screen image which takes you back to the gallery view

New SmugMug - The only thing you can click to close is the not so big X at the top right corner which is a lot easier to miss (the thin minimalistic design isn't helping here). You can't click on the image or the black outer region to get back to the Gallery (expected behavior on most lightbox implementations). Even worse, the X and the Arrow icons fade away and disappear if you don't move the mouse. On a widescreen monitor, the X and the Arrow Icons can be at the periphery of your screen while the image is in the center making them even less noticable.

This may seem as nit picking, but it is only because I have seen these issues pop up all the time. Less savvy folks have a really hard time dealing with these types of interfaces that lack visual cues and don't have simple icons/text that explain the functionality of any button that is clickable.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    New SmugMug - The only thing you can click to close is the not so big X at the top right corner which is a lot easier to miss (the thin minimalistic design isn't helping here). You can't click on the image or the black outer region to get back to the Gallery (expected behavior on most lightbox implementations). Even worse, the X and the Arrow icons fade away and disappear if you don't move the mouse. On a widescreen monitor, the X and the Arrow Icons can be at the periphery of your screen while the image is in the center making them even less noticable.

That isn't true at all. One can hit ESC to back out of any lightbox or full screem image/slideshow.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    That isn't true at all. One can hit ESC to back out of any lightbox or full screem image/slideshow.
    Right, because hitting ESC is so completely intuitive? A person who knows to hit ESC to get out of the fullscreen image view also knows to find his or her way around any UI to find the X to close the view. Heck, I just realized that in all my years of using my Legacy SmugMug, I never once tried to hit ESC to exit the fullscreen view (even though I always use the arrow keys to browse). So yes, I could add ESC to that list, but it doesn't change the point I was making in any way, shape or form.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    One can hit ESC to back out of any lightbox or full screem image/slideshow.
    On a mobile device there is no ESC key.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Meanwhile, if your "pictures tell a story", try the Journal Gallery style.

While the gallery is displayed, click on Customize > Gallery Style > Journal.

I think this will by my "fix" until smugmug fixes the nav arrows and comments in the other views.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    Bill - That probably is the best solution at the moment but I personally dislike Journal mode for presenting images. I like a fresh image to pop up all at once some the viewer can take it in as the image appears. Scrolling through pictures with text in between somehow detracts from the images. Hard to explain, but I really do feel that visually, it is a lot less appealing to browse through images in Journal style.
  • Options
    billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    I personally dislike Journal mode for presenting images. I like a fresh image to pop up all at once so the viewer can take it in as the image appears. Scrolling through pictures with text in between somehow detracts from the images. Hard to explain, but I really do feel that visually, it is a lot less appealing to browse through images in Journal style.

Agreed. Just a stop-gap (McGyver?) for me until smugmug fixes it. This assumes they will fix it.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    I'm with HamsterHuey. I don't like the Journal style either, although I do use it for my "About Us" folder because there are only a half dozen photos in there.

The Journal style requires constant scrolling by the viewer, and I personally think the photos are TOO big (though maybe that could be customized). With the Smugmug style, as you know, the viewer simply had to keep hitting the same spot (either a key with their finger or an arrow with the mouse).

But, as Bill points out, it does solve the lack of an on-screen arrow navigation.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    On a mobile device there is no ESC key.

Yeah, you are right. But you can' tell me the back function doesn't act the same?
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    Yeah, you are right. But you can' tell me the back function doesn't act the same?
    Good thought. But alas, I just tested it, and nope. The back button will navigate to the previous photo, rather than return to Smugmug style.

I have to "refresh" the screen by tapping on it to bring back the X in the upper right.

The bigger problem is that on an iPad there is no way to advance to the next photo in Smugmug mode. You have to tap on each thumbnail. And of course you have to remember which photo you're on (or search for the matching photo) because it isn't highlighted in the thumbnails in any way.

Sigh.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    By the way, regarding my iPad, while the Smugmug style sucks, the Journal style (which as stated above I don't really like much) is perfect for the iPad. It scrolls by touch.

I think they call this sitting on the horns of a dilemma.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    I'm using an Android phone and all galleries show as thumbs, no SmuMug.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    I'm using an Android phone and all galleries show as thumbs, no SmuMug.
    Same as my iPhone, but the iPad has a lot more screen real estate and the Smugmug style looks just like it does on my bigger laptop.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Easy Navigation - Not
    Even with the legacy system, I would have to tell clients to navigate to the ORIGINAL image (with explicit instructions) before hitting the download button. Then, I would tell them how to back track to get to another image and then start over with previous instruction. Since I had removed SmugMug branding, it appeared MY site was hard to navigate. Ticked me off but after awhile I could type the instructions quickly. And my return customers got used to it. Should NOT have to do this. Now, until they "fix" this issue, I will have to give more detailed instructions. I don't blame SmugMug to my customers...it's MY website. So, I just suffer and when asked say I am trying to get it worked out. That way they see I take responsibility for my website and lets them know I take responsibility for their images. I should not have to do that.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2013
    Whoops, hope I replied to the right thread. Been working with way TOO many threads trying to resolve NEW SmugMug issues!
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Even with the legacy system, I would have to tell clients to navigate to the ORIGINAL image (with explicit instructions) before hitting the download button. Then, I would tell them how to back track to get to another image and then start over with previous instruction. Since I had removed SmugMug branding, it appeared MY site was hard to navigate. Ticked me off but after awhile I could type the instructions quickly. And my return customers got used to it. Should NOT have to do this. Now, until they "fix" this issue, I will have to give more detailed instructions. I don't blame SmugMug to my customers...it's MY website. So, I just suffer and when asked say I am trying to get it worked out. That way they see I take responsibility for my website and lets them know I take responsibility for their images. I should not have to do that.

They never needed to navigate to the original to download it if you had originals enabled...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 5, 2013
    Just to give a quick update: We're overwhelmed by the massive amount of feedback. We're doing our best to sort through it and figure out how to handle each issue.

We will almost certainly be adding the navigation mentioned in this thread; we're just looking at how best to design it first.

Thank you very much for the feedback and keep it coming!
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I think it would look great if it looked just like the prev/next arrows to go to another set of thumbnails...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    We will almost certainly be adding the navigation mentioned in this thread; we're just looking at how best to design it first.

Thanks for the update, that's great news!
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    Just to give a quick update: We're overwhelmed by the massive amount of feedback. We're doing our best to sort through it and figure out how to handle each issue.

a) Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

b) In the spirit of "keep it coming", it would be awesome if on mobile devices the viewer could advance to the next photo (Smugmug style) by swiping on the screen. Failing that, arrows would work (and would of course be the only viable option for non-mobile devices).

Gary
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013

It would be fabulous if the Previous / Next function could simply be up where it used to be, along with photo numbers. That's where the mouse pointer simply ends up, so the viewer doesn't need to move far. And also, it's not intrusive to the photo when it's near a corner. The numbers look ridiculous centered under the main photo the way they are now, as if it's the really important part. Yes, it's needed, but the captions should be instead directly under a photo rather than way down below the numbers.

A lot of these details had already undergone widespread discussion and trial-and-error and deep thought about placement in earlier SmugMug updates. Since that gallery style hasn't changed, there's not much point to simply trying to find some other spot to place navigational tools just for the point of changing something. Stick with the placements that have already been found to work well and that customers are used to, rather than starting from the basic assumption that every single thing needs to change.

Also, most other sites I've been on in past years have a fantastic function available in many gallery styles that's missing from the New SmugMug, at least people's sites I've seen so far. That is the ability of a thumbnail or any smallish photo to enlarge with a hover-over. It helps with navigation too & looks modern & gorgeous. Now that would be a welcome change!!!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    Also, most other sites I've been on in past years have a fantastic function available in many gallery styles that's missing from the New SmugMug, at least people's sites I've seen so far. That is the ability of a thumbnail or any smallish photo to enlarge with a hover-over. It helps with navigation too & looks modern & gorgeous. Now that would be a welcome change!!!

This is available on Smugmug, but bizarrely only for search results AFAIK. see http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1889646#post1889646
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    I agree with moving the image number back to the top and have the navigation right there. How about prev arrow on the left and next on the right of the numbers JUST like it used to be? Glad SM is listening to us. Just wish it had been before going live instead of using EVERYONE as beta testers. Obviously, the "beta-testers" used were not checking many things. Maybe it was those happy people in the roll-out video! ;)