2014-9804.jpg

2014-9808.jpg

Little soft on the eye :/
2014-9826.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2014
    First this is marvelous! Second, I have 7D, and I have 100mm IS 2.8 lens which I think you might have used. Yesterday I gave 7D a try and couldn't get any focus. Are you using extension tubes in conjunction with lens? If the gear I am guessing is what you are using then I have much hope because it then boils down to technique. Are you using tri-pod?

Just great stuff and hoping one of these days I get one of these shots!

Cheers!
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2014
    Wonderful series Ian - lovely light and colour.
    Brian v.
  • Options
    IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2014
    Thank you SB, Brian.

Stumble, I am indeed using a 7D and 100L. All my shots are hand held and I tend to use f/10 or f/11, 1/250th, ISO 250 and diffused flash. For these particular shots I was not using any extension tubes. The Fly in #2 and #3 are slight crops.

I often use AF when out and about in the garden but will also switch to MF. These were the former in this case. It's just practice. I used to struggle greatly and believe me, I don't get them on the first shot all the time. Sometimes I'm lucky to get a subject that is happy for more than one frame to be taken so in most cases I can get a sharp shot (I have not been able to get the hang of multiple shots for focus stacking, they never stay still long enough for me).

If you're worried about focus, do test your kit.

Put the Camera on a tripod, enable mirror lockup then use a remote shutter release or the 10 second timer.

Focus at 1:1 on a pin head at f/11 (select exposure length accordingly as to whether you're using flash or not) and take some shots. Also try it on the pin tip.

If they're "pin" sharp, then your kit is fine. If they're OOF then perhaps some micro adjustment in the menus or if it's really bad then local shop / repair centre?

You could post your test results here as we can also have a look ourselves.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2014
    Thank Ian! Can't say that enough! Will give it a go again! Cheers!
  • Options
    IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thank Ian! Can't say that enough! Will give it a go again! Cheers!

You're welcome. I received tonnes of help over the years from Brian and Paul Iddon here so I'm more than happy to share my knowledge and help where possible.
  • Options
    DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2014
    Great set :)