Options

Colorful Tree Bark

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited May 6, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
I've always been fascinated by this tree. It stands guard over a 300+ year old courtyard in St. Augustine.

st.augustine%204.3.08%20083-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2013
    Hi Tom, I really like the texture of this bark, looks like it is some sort of a conifer?

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2013
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi Tom, I really like the texture of this bark, looks like it is some sort of a conifer?

Cheers, Richard.

I'm no tree expert, Richard, but I do believe you're right about this being some sort of conifer. It's not the most populous kind of tree around here but it's not rare for this area either.

See ya,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2013
    Not a pine, fir or spruce. Some sort of cyprus, metasequoia or the like.

I like!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2013
    Interesting color in the tree. Looks like one could peel this tree one strand at a time
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2013
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Interesting color in the tree. Looks like one could peel this tree one strand at a time

That's exactly what you could do. It's a Cyprus tree. You don't see near as many of them as you used to. Those that were easily accessible were harvested years ago. The remaining ones are found deeper into swamplands and low hammock areas.

Tom
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2013
    Cool shot Tom!
    You have such a history back there - the only thing 300 yrs. old in California, is the dirt. :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2013
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Not a pine, fir or spruce. Some sort of cyprus, metasequoia or the like.

I like!

Don

Before I responded to you, Don, I wanted to confirm what kind of tree that was. You were right....it's of the Cyprus family of trees. I'm not familiar with any other tree that has such an array of colors in it's bark.

See ya,

Tom
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Cool shot Tom!
    You have such a history back there - the only thing 300 yrs. old in California, is the dirt. :D

Get yourself over here sometime, Eric, and I can show you more " old " than you can probably handle. It's everywhere. Some of it well publicized, some of it not so much. It's a photographers dream.

Be well,

Tom
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2013
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    Tom, thanks for the confirmation. I'm no expert, but I free up near Blithewald Arboretum, I have a Gallery if images from there. So have seen lord of kinds of trees.

thumb.gif
    Don

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook