Options

The Grand Finale

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited May 3, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
You folks have been very tolerant of my latest series delving into the mysteries and wonders of rust. Two of the images have been locked in mortal combat....fighting, in my mind, for the # 1 ranking. I now include these final two images for your viewing. I still can't decide which one I prefer for the top spot....I've concluded that my mood at the moment determines which one comes out on top.

I've again taken the liberty of naming these images. I hope you like the shots.

" Helter Skelter "

rust%202013%20034-X2.jpg

" Solar Flare "

rust%202013%20029-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2013
    Tom, they both have their delicious attractions, but I favor the second morsel!

thumb.gif yummy stuff.

:D
    Don

p.s. a weekend of shooting wood and iron will result in upcoming posts by moi! :D

p.p.s.
    I didn't play golf! :D
    As you may surmise.

D
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited April 21, 2013
    Whoa, tough call indeed--both are first rate. The first one reminds me a bit of Paul Klee, a Swiss/German surrealist, and I just love his stuff. The second does look like something NASA would have uncovered. I'd call it a tie. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2013
    Its not like your making it easy to say. All have their qualities. 1 above the field shown over the threads holding them not so quick to call. But... in this set image 2 Solar Flare. You didn't name out in Lite-Rust but I imagine they will get names soon. In Lite Rust I kept going back to image 3 each review. Hey, wanted to ask. Was a Chevy the auto for the very first 2 found in Feast For ? & Solar Flare? Good luck
    choosing the lead image. thumb.gif Now to check out Paul Klee as Richard mentioned for comparisons, attributes etc. I have never seen his work or know who I should be looking at. That is very lame of me to be so clueless of artists and such.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2013
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Tom, they both have their delicious attractions, but I favor the second morsel!

thumb.gif yummy stuff.

:D
    Don

p.s. a weekend of shooting wood and iron will result in upcoming posts by moi! :D

p.p.s.
    I didn't play golf! :D
    As you may surmise.

D

Thanks, Don. I've appreciated your comments as this series unfolded.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    Whoa, tough call indeed--both are first rate. The first one reminds me a bit of Paul Klee, a Swiss/German surrealist, and I just love his stuff. The second does look like something NASA would have uncovered. I'd call it a tie. thumb.gif

Thanks for your input, Richard. I'm inclined to agree with you....I'm calling it a tie.

Tom
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2013
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Its not like your making it easy to say. All have their qualities. 1 above the field shown over the threads holding them not so quick to call. But... in this set image 2 Solar Flare. You didn't name out in Lite-Rust but I imagine they will get names soon. In Lite Rust I kept going back to image 3 each review. Hey, wanted to ask. Was a Chevy the auto for the very first 2 found in Feast For ? & Solar Flare? Good luck
    choosing the lead image. thumb.gif Now to check out Paul Klee as Richard mentioned for comparisons, attributes etc. I have never seen his work or know who I should be looking at. That is very lame of me to be so clueless of artists and such.

You know, Michael, I thought long and hard about naming these images. The reason being that, when you name something like this, you tend to direct the viewer's interpretation of the piece. Something that has really amused me is that local folks that have seen these works have a hugely varied idea of what the image represents.

The donor vehicle for the shots you have inquired about was a small, foreign van-type thing....A Morris Minor, if I remember correctly.

Tom
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2013
    #2 No doubt for me. Nice series Tom.
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2013
    Juano wrote: »

15524779-Ti.gif Lot of nice rust off one small truck :D

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2013
    Juano wrote: »

Thanks, Cristobal.

This series has been a lot of fun to do. To stumble upon such gold-mine potential in subjects was a real stroke of luck.

See ya,

Tom
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2013
    R.Jay wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif Lot of nice rust off one small truck :D

Cheers, Richard.

Well, Richard, it's like I told Cristobal.....I really lucked out. I've been looking for the perfect candidates that could help me fulfill a long-time ambition. And they just fell into my lap.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    I really like these - so artistic!!!

Wonderful inspiration - I'll try this too :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    travelways wrote: »
    I really like these - so artistic!!!

Wonderful inspiration - I'll try this too :)

Hi Tatiana. Thanks for dropping by.

I'm glad you like my abstracts. I've been shooting rusty things for years. I was always searching for just the right subjects for the series I had in mind. I finally found them.

I hope you'll try this kind of stuff. It's truly fun and exciting. The end results are often unexpected....but almost always fascinating.

Tom
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2013
    These are both well done, Tom. If I had to pick, I'd say #2, but only just. You've even got me playing with a little rust - had a photo meetup after work today at an old junkyard - and it really was a "junk" yard, some old cars, but lots of other "stuff". I didn't quite go for the abstract like you, but it was fun playing with them. I'll post a few over the weekend as I process them.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2013
    moose135 wrote: »
    These are both well done, Tom. If I had to pick, I'd say #2, but only just. You've even got me playing with a little rust - had a photo meetup after work today at an old junkyard - and it really was a "junk" yard, some old cars, but lots of other "stuff". I didn't quite go for the abstract like you, but it was fun playing with them. I'll post a few over the weekend as I process them.

Well, I have to warn you, John, that this rust shooting can be very addictive. I happen to favor the abstract route but the whole genre is open to a very wide range of interpretations. I'm looking forward to seeing how you approach this fascinating subject matter. I say just let the sliders fly.

Good to hear from you, my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2013
    Can't decide which I like better. There is something I like in each one of them. Definitely a coin flipper ...
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2013
    Thank you Tom for the encouragement - yes, I'll definitely try to find some too :)

As per your 2 entries, I don't know what is your purpose with them, but I would choose the second one thumb.gif
    Hi Tatiana. Thanks for dropping by.

I'm glad you like my abstracts. I've been shooting rusty things for years. I was always searching for just the right subjects for the series I had in mind. I finally found them.

I hope you'll try this kind of stuff. It's truly fun and exciting. The end results are often unexpected....but almost always fascinating.

Tom
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    Otto FocusOtto Focus Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2013
    I'm new at photography, so I don't recognize the photographic opportunities around me with the photographer mindset. But threads like this one are good for helping me see differently.

Nice photos!
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2013
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Can't decide which I like better. There is something I like in each one of them. Definitely a coin flipper ...

Good to hear from you, Mary.

It's like I mentioned before....it seems to depend on my mind-set of the day as to which one I prefer. I guess it's obvious that I like them both a lot.

Tom
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2013
    travelways wrote: »
    Thank you Tom for the encouragement - yes, I'll definitely try to find some too :)

As per your 2 entries, I don't know what is your purpose with them, but I would choose the second one thumb.gif

Be sure to follow your own instincts when you get into such subjective work. You'll notice a huge spread of initiatives by the JUNKIES when they deal with rust. There's no right or wrong way to proceed. Just be prepared to step outside of the box in your PP work if you want to see the most exciting results.

Tom
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2013
    Otto Focus wrote: »
    I'm new at photography, so I don't recognize the photographic opportunities around me with the photographer mindset. But threads like this one are good for helping me see differently.

Nice photos!

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the wonderful world of photography.

Show 10 people the same scene and you're likely to get 10 different interpretations of what was there. First, get comfortable with all your equipment so that using it becomes second nature. From that point forward, personal propensities tend to take over. Your unique visions and style of presentation will emerge. Keep the fundamentals of good photography in mind and the rest will flow accordingly.

Good luck,

Tom
  • Options
    Otto FocusOtto Focus Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2013
    Thanks, Tom! I'll do that!

'Preciate it!

Andy