When the gloves come off...

South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited November 29, 2009 in Sports
Hockey, as you probably know, can be a very rough and physically intimidating sport. Often, when the score gets out of hand, the boys like to settle their scores personally. Wednesday was one such game.

725793426_gVbeg-L.jpg

725793454_fzDyx-L.jpg

725801094_XdhLT-L.jpg

725801063_e9TWL-L.jpg

Thanks for looking
Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com

Comments

• Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    Nice! #3 is great...killer instinct in his eyes :beatwaxnaughty.gifevilnaughty.gif
  • SUMGUYSUMGUY Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    We dont have much to do with this sport in Australia, so I have never understood why these guys punch each other in the head when they have helmets on!!! Do they get they worked up that they just go for it?

What does the Ref do? in all the highlights I see on cable the Ref just stands there headscratch.gif Cool shots anyway...

cheers, Scott
  • South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    SUMGUY wrote:
    We dont have much to do with this sport in Australia, so I have never understood why these guys punch each other in the head when they have helmets on!!! Do they get they worked up that they just go for it?

What does the Ref do? in all the highlights I see on cable the Ref just stands there headscratch.gif Cool shots anyway...

cheers, Scott

Thanks, and let me explain.

The guys can not take their helmets off - it's rule. But, if the helmet comes off during the fight (as it usually does) there's no additional penalty. Often, the combatants will swing the first few punches open handed looking to dislodge the helmet before swinging full tilt.

The referee and linesmen do just stand there = they don't want to get hit. Then, once the fighters are tired, they jump in and break it up. Also, if one fighter is clearly dominating or hurting the other, they may jump in to save the poor guy on the receiving end.

Players who fight are assessed a five minute major penalty for fighting and in this league (but not all) they are kicked out of the game.

Rob
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 29, 2009
    The linesman in that last picture should have his whistle in his pocket lol3.gif

Some nice action. My only comment would be the cycling lights and their affect on WB.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    The linesman in that last picture should have his whistle in his pocket lol3.gif

Some nice action. My only comment would be the cycling lights and their affect on WB.

Good pick up, hadn't though of that. Would hate to get a whistle stuck up my nose in the process of having the fight broken up.

Yeah, those dang cycling lights; drive me nuts. Post processing sometimes cleans those up, but not often enough for my liking. It's actually quite amazing how - in a burst sequence - you can have basically the same frame look like it's under sunny WB whereas the next one looks like it's under tungsten. So frustrating....

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 29, 2009
    Good pick up, hadn't though of that. Would hate to get a whistle stuck up my nose in the process of having the fight broken up.

Kinda more that when you come around to restrain your player with the whistle hand, you end up with broken fingers lol3.gif Most players feel the arm and think "player" until they see the stripes and sometimes that's an elbow to the face or trying to get the hand off them (which is a reminder not to break the fight up from behind--an important lesson you only need to be shown 1 time).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Interesting pictures…

Reminds me of this one:

"I went to a fight the other night…

…and a hockey game broke out!"

mwink.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Yup, the linesman should have his whistle in his pocket.

Nice shots.

What league?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited November 29, 2009
    Yup, the linesman should have his whistle in his pocket.

Nice shots.

What league?

This is Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League - Junior B - LaSalle Vipers vs. Chatham Maroons.