> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited March 5, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, it's time. LPS was fun, but now we start a new chapter. Challenge 2.1 starts on Monday May 12, 2008!

The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges, Keeping You On Your Toes...
  • The top five winners of each round will be qualified to play in a quarterly themed Mega-Challenge.
  • Each round will be judged by the winner of a previous round and Greensquared, who will each select their top ten. This shortlist will then go to public vote to determine the top five winners. Mega-Challenges will be judged by a panel of five judges only.
  • Zero downtime. Challenges will run continually.
This will serve as the general thread in which we can announce "surprises" (yes there will be occasional additions/changes to the regular challenges :deal), as well as answer questions, and hopefully entertain fruitful discussion. Let's get back to photography!

Useful links and archive:
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Gimme a theme I need to be challenged.

I am challenged?

Glad to hear that we will be starting up with some new challenges. I personally feel that without being pushed that I would stagnate. Get me outside my box.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    thumb.gif ready set go......i better go clean my lens.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Challenge 2.1: Theme TBA

TBA........TOOO BEE ANNOUNCED......DUUUUUUUDE ITS SATURDAY MORNING HERE IN KANSAS USA...........Ok Ok cleaning sensor for a try at shooting 3 doggie nite this evening.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    TBA........TOOO BEE ANNOUNCED......DUUUUUUUDE ITS SATURDAY MORNING HERE IN KANSAS USA...........Ok Ok cleaning sensor for a try at shooting 3 doggie nite this evening.........

hence.... Each challenge will last 2 weeks. Starting and ending on Mondays at 00:01 (12:01am), NYC time (GMT -5). <--- in da rules

so as hard as it will be, we will have to wait for the first theme :cry
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    One would be forgiven in assuming the actual theme is 'TBA' deal.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    gus wrote:

I know what T&A is for a theme buuuuuut TBA...can't be what my mind just had run thru it.....Oh no Oh no....but then he has succumbed to being downunder hasn't he......oh gawd help us all eek7.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Let me the first to say:

w00t

hehe couldn't resist. You know you're a net nerd when that's the first thing you think of when you're excited =c)

Can't wait.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Word mwink.gif
    edited May 10, 2008
    gus wrote:

thinking outside the box i see:D incase your right, i better go find my thinking cap...it hasnt been used in a while...rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Awesome Erik!!! Can't wait, even though that's only a few days away!

Since this is a "discussion" thread I'll throw out one thing I'd like added at some point in the future. I really liked having a 2nd teir to the challenges, though it wouldn't have to be so formal as LPS was. But I think it'd be neat to have perhaps every six months, or once a year, something like the LPS semifinals were - a limited entry no theme contest that some selection of the top choices from the previous rounds compete. No special prizes or anything, but just sort of a second reward and a different level of challenge for those who make it. Anyway, something to consider once this has been going awhile and perhaps it would only be a small wrinkle to add more interest.

In any case, bring on the challenges! And Thanks!

Ken
    edited May 10, 2008
    I don't get what the problem is that people have with prizes ne_nau.gif Prizes are good--they are a good incentive for competition. have prizes, have contests, have good competition and bring the best out of all of us!

I loved LPS, it is the reason that my photography improved so rapidly. I loved competing among people 234234 times better and more experienced than myself--that's what made me grow and improve.

Anyway, keep the prizes going!
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Well, it's time. LPS was fun, but now we start a new chapter. Challenge 2.1 starts on Monday May 12, 2008!
    Awesome. Just awesome. Made my night, in fact. I can't wait! This is going to make monday more wonderful than it's already going to be. This probably also applies to tuesday. Also a lot of days to follow. I love this forum. I am experiencing a sudden, deep love affair with this community.

Bring on the creativity! wings.gifivarclap.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 11, 2008
    I don't get what the problem is that people have with prizes ne_nau.gif Prizes are good--they are a good incentive for competition. have prizes, have contests, have good competition and bring the best out of all of us!

I loved LPS, it is the reason that my photography improved so rapidly. I loved competing among people 234234 times better and more experienced than myself--that's what made me grow and improve.

Anyway, keep the prizes going!
    Not really sure what you mean by this headscratch.gif

There will be prizes, I just haven't gotten them approved, but wanted to go ahead and get started anyway. Pretty sure everyone would agree with that decision.
    Erik

edited May 11, 2008
    haha hey Erik, nothing against you. I suppose I've read a bunch of entries that had to do with prizes being bad, or corrupting, or whatever, and that the contest might do better without them. And it could, I suppose, yet I stand that there's nothing wrong with them.

that's all ;)
    edited May 11, 2008
    Moving Forward...
    Round 1 is live, I even revealed the topic 10 minutes early! :D

If you haven't checked them out yet, go see the Rules, you will hopefully be pleasantly suprised by some of the changes/additions.

And the prizes have been approved, every 3 weeks we'll be giving away:
    1st place Winner:
    1yr SmugMug Pro Account and
    $100 B&H gift certificate

bh_wl.gif

showban.asp?id=2990&img=bh_wl.gif
    2nd-5th place Runners-up:
    1yr SmugMug Standard Account
    Erik

• The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    What's the theme? It's Monday on the east coast :)
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Sweeeeeet thumb.gif
    ~ Lisa
    edited May 12, 2008
    looks to me like all is in order. fine job.

if anyone pms with complaints, please feel free to make them public for which i and others would like to publicly comment to regarding the complaint....:D

in otherwords please send them to the wolves....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 12, 2008
    The Mack wrote:
    What's the theme?
    I'll let you find it on your own.

hint: it's stickied to the top of the forum lol3.gif
    Erik

• Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Doc...

Many thanks to you, the other volunteers and DGrin for getting this going. :D

Lee
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Round 1 is live, I even revealed the topic 10 minutes early! :D

If you haven't checked them out yet, go see the Rules, you will hopefully be pleasantly suprised by some of the changes/additions.

And the prizes have been approved, every 3 weeks we'll be giving away:

Quick question about the prizes. For SmugMug users that have an account greater than a standard account, how would the 2-5th place prizes be handled?

Thanks for getting this going. I like the theme for the first round.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    jziegler wrote:
    Quick question about the prizes. For SmugMug users that have an account greater than a standard account, how would the 2-5th place prizes be handled?

Thanks for getting this going. I like the theme for the first round.

Good question- as I have a pro account and plan to win this year. :D

If nothing else it makes a great gift for family or friends.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • bsquaredbsquared Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Doc...

Lee

+1 !
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Doc...

Lee
    + 1 billion thanks from me and SmugMug deal.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'll let you find it on your own.

hint: it's stickied to the top of the forum lol3.gif

That's funnier considering his avatar. lol3.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Awesome to be back up and running.

Congrats Doc and Smugmug and all the members involved in getting the challenges organised.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Whohooooo...Yehawwwww......Doing the Happy Happy Joy Joy Dance now...FINALLY...rolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gif:Dmwink.gif

A Big Shout Out to all those involved in getting a Dgrin Contest Going and for your involvment in the organization of it all!!

Thanky Thanky Thanky.....Now I can PLAY and HAVE FUN!!

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    How does the B&H prize work for winners not in continental North America?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited May 13, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    How does the B&H prize work for winners not in continental North America?

Neil
    B&H ships worldwide.
    Erik

edited May 13, 2008
    jziegler wrote:
    I will defer to Andy for the official decision, but my unofficial answer: it would essentially be transformed into a credit towards your next annual account fee, whatever it may be.
    Erik