Grant Proposal - Specific Industry

photobrandophotobrando Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited October 14, 2008 in The Big Picture
I've had this Photography/Videography idea for the past several years. I've recently decided to make a good hearted attempt to make this a reality.

Unfortunately, I don't have the capital to go out and drop 30 grand on equipment, so I thought the next best idea was to write a grant proposal. Rather than write one and submit it to an agency that tons of other people are writing grant for too, I want to attack the big names in the specific industry that my idea will appeal to.

This would involve industry leaders such as Quiksilver, Billabong/Hurley, Volcom and a few others. What I'm trying to attempt in this grant proposal is to submit a letter to each one, and rather than seeking funds from one specific corporation, my hope is that several would be willing to donate, or at the very least, buy some kind of rights to my idea in the form of a grant or something. I'm not too sure...this is where I'm seeking the help of people who have hopefully been down this road before.

I'm curious on:
1) Your initial thoughts on this?
2) Is it better to submit a proposal to a business without their knowing of me submitting to their industry competitors OR should I CC the grant proposal with all the people who got the same copy?
3) If you or someone you know, has written a grant, what specific issues arose and how did you over come them?
4) Typed letters or PowerPoint or both?
5) How did you protect yourself from a company steeling your idea in your grant proposal?

I suppose that is enough to get me started. I'm sure other questions will arise. I appreciate anyones help and opinions on this.

Aloha Nui