Options

Louisiana Black Bear and 2 cubs

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited December 24, 2014 in Wildlife
Hi Everyone,
I have not posted in a while, but Edmund and I were so fortunate to get to watch a Louisiana Black Bear and her two cubs for about an hour this fall on Avery Island. We were never close to the bears at all--I was shooting with a 500mm lens. Hope you enjoy them, and all comments and suggestions welcome and appreciated! And Merry Christmas!

Best, Pam

1)
2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-161B-L.jpg

2)
2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-88A-1-L.jpg

3)
2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-92F-L.jpg

4)
2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-95E-L.jpg

5)
2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-115A-L.jpg

6)
2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-5C-L.jpg

7)
2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-63-2A-L.jpg

8)
2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-69-2A-L.jpg

9)
2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-70B-L.jpg

10)
2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-110B-1-L.jpg

11)
2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-141A-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2014
    Excellent series, Pam thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    Wonderful series of shots. Lucky for you to have that opportunity. I like every shot you posted, exposure and details are really nice. My only suggestion would be to try not to center the subjects, example in #10 there should be more space in front of the bear, there is slightly more but a little more might work even better. Typically the rule is more space in the direction the criter is looking, a good example is #6, great composition on that one.

In the last shot it almost appears to be slanted lower on the right giving the appearance of walking downhill, however when looking at the trees and hanging moss in the background you really do have the horizon straight and they are truly walking downhill, well done on that shot!
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2014
    Hunter58 wrote: »
    Wonderful series of shots. Lucky for you to have that opportunity. I like every shot you posted, exposure and details are really nice. My only suggestion would be to try not to center the subjects, example in #10 there should be more space in front of the bear, there is slightly more but a little more might work even better. Typically the rule is more space in the direction the criter is looking, a good example is #6, great composition on that one.

In the last shot it almost appears to be slanted lower on the right giving the appearance of walking downhill, however when looking at the trees and hanging moss in the background you really do have the horizon straight and they are truly walking downhill, well done on that shot!

Thanks, Hunter. Great points, and I really appreciate your taking time to make them! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2014
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Excellent series, Pam thumb.gifthumb

Thanks, Dan, and Merry Christmas! Best, Pam
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    What an encounter! Stuff of dreams!
    What is the stuff around mom's neck?
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    What an encounter! Stuff of dreams!
    What is the stuff around mom's neck?

It is a tracking collar so that LWFD can follow where she goes and learn more about Louisiana Black Bear behavior. Looks like she should be eligible for an upgrade! And you're right, we were so lucky. We have seen these bears on a couple of other occasions this fall, but always when the light was shining full force into my lens, or it was 2 seconds bfefore dark--so we were thrilled with this opportunity. Thnaks for taking time to comment!

Best, Pam
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    PGM wrote: »
    It is a tracking collar so that LWFD can follow where she goes and learn more about Louisiana Black Bear behavior. Looks like she should be eligible for an upgrade! And you're right, we were so lucky. We have seen these bears on a couple of other occasions this fall, but always when the light was shining full force into my lens, or it was 2 seconds bfefore dark--so we were thrilled with this opportunity. Thnaks for taking time to comment!

Best, Pam

Thanks for info Pam! What a wonderful experience! I love the way they are chowing down.......just mom and kid out for lunch....as people do! Cheers!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator
    edited December 19, 2014
    PGM wrote: »
    1) 2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-161B-250x250.jpg 4) 2014_1122_Louisiana_Black_Bear_Avery_Island-95E-250x250.jpg
    What a wonderful opportunity, love the photos. My favorites are 1) and 4).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2014
    What a wonderful opportunity, love the photos. My favorites are 1) and 4).

--- Denise

Thanks so much! I like those also. The bears were getting their greens from a feed plot for deer. Best, Pam
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2014
    Great series Pam. My favorite is #7 - looks like she is giggling at an off-color joke mwink.gif .
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2014
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Great series Pam. My favorite is #7 - looks like she is giggling at an off-color joke mwink.gif .

Thanks, Jo! They look so human at times! Merry Christmas! Best, Pam
  • Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2014
    Great series of images Pam, they sure know that you are there with those eyes looking in your direction.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2014
    Thanks, Dennis! And Merry Christmas to you!!! Best, Pam