Death Valley, California

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited January 4, 2009 in Landscapes
Hey all- I spent a couple of nights in Death Valley. It was my first time there. The place is beautiful (if you like that kind of scenery) and really BIG. I could only squeeze in a few shots and will have to make another trip to photograph other areas that I am interested in. Below are a few of my shots. Thanks for looking.

===

444915204_WiLmX-L.jpg

===

444860505_4PJn4-L-1.jpg

===

444885689_C8yhU-M.jpg

===

444890955_thf5i-L.jpg

===

444924556_mtNgg-M.jpg

===

444926928_sVPXy-L.jpg

===

444880724_G8UtY-L.jpg

Star Trails
=======

Ok, I think I need to be commended for the shots below- not because of the shots themselves, but the fact that I was there in temperatures of around 20F with one sweater and a thin jacket (I know I am quite the hero). The shutter speeds are around 45-50 minutes each. In all fairness, I was not there the entire time- I just spent around 10 minutes setting it up and then sat in my car. :wink It was funny as I reached the points around 3AM (on two consecutive days)- these places are so remote and desolate and it did not help me imagining myself being murdered by an axe-wielding psycho or some desert rat (yeah I can be over-powered by one). :D

===

444846442_HeaFE-L-1.jpg

===

444825887_8Zt7Y-L-2.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Nice series, Shniks! thumb.gif

I really like the star trails shots, but one question... I've tried exposures of around 10 minutes and found the noise from the heat build up to be insane!! How did you manage 45-50 minute shutter speeds? headscratch.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Great set CW! I can relate to the suffering of star trail coldness, but I usually find a place close to my car so I can sit my lazy butt in a warm enviroment Laughing.gif!

Thanks for sharing! By the way, any sign of recent moisture there? Hope the wildflower season will be good starting next month thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:

I really like the star trails shots, but one question... I've tried exposures of around 10 minutes and found the noise from the heat build up to be insane!! How did you manage 45-50 minute shutter speeds? headscratch.gif

Hey Chris- I normally try and shoot in low ambient temperatures as the noise is minimised at lower temps. In this case, the temperature was 25F (I actually planned to visit in the winter for the star trails). The other thing I could have done is take 100 consecutive 30s exposures for a total of 50 minutes and then combine them in a software program like that available at startrails.de

Cheers,
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:

I have been successful in warmer environments doing multiple 4 minute exposures and then stacking them using the statistics script in photoshop... they usually come out virtually noiseless, plus I think I read somewhere that the battery lasts longer doing multiples instead of one long one?... but that may not be true.
  • AngryRedAngryRed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Nice series of one of my favorite places. I really need to get out to Artist's Palette at a time when the light is right.

The star trails shots came out nice as well.

Good luck.
    Love this place, but I am an ADV rider too!
    F800GS
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Wow man you are king of star trails !
    loved the series
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    shniks wrote:
    Hey Chris- I normally try and shoot in low ambient temperatures as the noise is minimised at lower temps. In this case, the temperature was 25F (I actually planned to visit in the winter for the star trails). The other thing I could have done is take 100 consecutive 30s exposures for a total of 50 minutes and then combine them in a software program like that available at startrails.de

Cheers,

11doh.gif
    I read that it was cold out when you took these... I swear I did... it's just that when I added 2 + 2 I got -5,852, time to recheck my calculations...

Thanks for the info! I think it was in the 60s when I tried last... maybe I should try to sneak away this weekend and try again! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Shniks wrote:
    Ok, I think I need to be commended for the shots below- not because of the shots themselves, but the fact that I was there in temperatures of around 20F with one sweater and a thin jacket (I know I am quite the hero).

Nice looking series. I really like the star trails. But I got to ask you, what's the deal with you and the cold??ne_nau.gif

1st you're freezing in LA at The Griffith Observatory and now you go to Death Valley to freeze.headscratch.gif:D
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    My goodness, these are wonderful shots! Some of the best DV shots I've seen, now I really have to add it to my list!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Well, the only problem with this series is that they're not numbered, and since I can't count, I can't tell you which ones I like vs. which ones I like a lot :D

The first is outstanding, and I dig those star trails shots too.
    edited December 29, 2008
    Pezpix wrote:
    Great set CW! I can relate to the suffering of star trail coldness, but I usually find a place close to my car so I can sit my lazy butt in a warm enviroment Laughing.gif!

Thanks for sharing! By the way, any sign of recent moisture there? Hope the wildflower season will be good starting next month thumb.gif

Hey Bryan... no recent moisture- the first day I was there, it was incredibly windy (the visibility was reduced, especially near the sand dunes). I too am looking forward to the wildflower season. The ranger told me that I should plan to come there in March/ April. wings.gif

Cheers,
    edited December 29, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    Nice looking series. I really like the star trails. But I got to ask you, what's the deal with you and the cold??ne_nau.gif

1st you're freezing in LA at The Griffith Observatory and now you go to Death Valley to freeze.headscratch.gif:D

Heh Adam- I am a glutton for punishment. But it's well worth it. When I told the ranger that I would be at Dante's View at around 3AM, he looked at me all confused and puzzled. "You will freeze there and besides you won't see a thing"... He probably motioned to the men in white coats to come and get me. mwink.gif

Cheers,
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Very nice series--and kudos to you for putting up with the axe-wielding psychos, er the cold weather! I really like the star trail shots.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited January 4, 2009
    Wow man you are king of star trails !
    loved the series

No king here Awais- but I am sort of getting addicted to them. Seeing the end results are always worth it! wings.gif

Cheers,
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Very nice shots, captures the vastness of the place and the light/time you shot looks good.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 4, 2009
    Great stuff, Nikhil! Love 'em all, especially the star trails. thumb.gif

Funny, I just missed you. I was there briefly on the 28th and 29th, mainly just scouting around. Looks like we went to some of the same spots including Scotty's and Zabriski point.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited January 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Great stuff, Nikhil! Love 'em all, especially the star trails. thumb.gif

Funny, I just missed you. I was there briefly on the 28th and 29th, mainly just scouting around. Looks like we went to some of the same spots including Scotty's and Zabriski point.

Cheers,
    -joel

Hey Joel- it does look like we missed each other. Wasn't it wonderful to be there at this time? Scotty's was nice, but I really like Badwater and Dante's View (which was spectacular). My friend and I are heading there again this weekend and we want to go to the crater this time round. Should be fun! I wanted to go to the Racetrack too, but my little dinky car can't negotiate those rough trails! eek7.gif

Cheers,
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 4, 2009
    I love the star trails shots. Beauty!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Star trails are spectacular, but so is that ranch shot.

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
    edited January 4, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback... Ian and Shootin1st
    Shootin1st wrote:
    Star trails are spectacular, but so is that ranch shot.

thumb.gif

Moi likes the ranch too- too bad they hurry you during the tour and won't let you take a little time to shoot. :cry

Cheers,
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 4, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    Hey Joel- it does look like we missed each other. Wasn't it wonderful to be there at this time? Scotty's was nice, but I really like Badwater and Dante's View (which was spectacular). My friend and I are heading there again this weekend and we want to go to the crater this time round. Should be fun! I wanted to go to the Racetrack too, but my little dinky car can't negotiate those rough trails! eek7.gif
    Yup, it's pretty nice there this time of year. I didn't take the road to Dante's and Badwater. Next time. Instead, I veered left at Indian Springs, and went to the Ash Meadows Wildlife Preserve. I want to take in the Race Track next time too.

Cheers,
    -joel